• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs I need your advice. Please.

milkyway2

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
?
I don't want to bore everyone with a long relationship story. But here's the basic synopsis.

INTJ: there is a girl (INTP .. obviously) you think you might love or at least like a lot.. who is with someone else. You dated her for a while, but you both knew it wasn't the right time and she had to break up with you. Now, she's with someone else and you guys haven't talked in months. The reason for why you like her you've said is because you've never found anyone that connects on an intellectual level with you and someone to have such good deep conversations with.

Would you want her to leave you alone and just let you get over it? Or would you want to be friends and talk with this girl even if you can't be with her?

kafkacat

Enneagram
inxj
Leave her be, you had your opportunity to get to know each other, and that's all that was supposed to happen, you are infatuated with her, i'm sure she enjoys the attention, but if she was truely interested in you, she would make the effort to be with you.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Would you want her to leave you alone and just let you get over it? Or would you want to be friends and talk with this girl even if you can't be with her?

It's a matter of how much I love her. If I simply "like her a lot", I'd definitely keep the friendship for the sake of the conversations and the fun we could have together.
If I'm in love with her though, I'd try to get away as soon as possible (more likely) or try to take her back no matter the odds (less likely). A friendship can not be maintained on such a "high intensity".

Little_Sticks

Ditto on what Litvyak said. If you feel a great sense of loss from losing the intimate connection with her, then you should pursue to fix things unless she is quite adamant that she doesn't want to have that relationship with you for whatever reasons.

If she doesn't want a relationship and you want one, then being around her as 'friends' is going to feel very empty and superficial from the facade of just friendship. In this case, it's hard to say if you should be friends, call everything off, or plan to call everything off until you think your feelings have subsided and then be friends. Obviously if you can handle being friends, then your chances of getting a relationship again go up, although not much. If you call everything off, then you will pretty much lose all contact with the person. And if you wait to get over her, there is a high chance you will also lose all contact with the person.

Personally, I've never been able to go the friend route. My two only and serious relationships, although few, would not work out in the friend category. I think it has something to do with the feeling of betrayal from having someone walk away from you intimately when you are more than willing to work on and fix whatever is a problem; even if they say the problem is not with you, if they leave and go find someone else, then in truth it is or they wouldn't see a reason to leave. It's more than disappointing.

And one paragraph to bore you: But I also have trust issues, so if someone is willing to do that to me after I've let my guard completely down for them to have a relationship, then I'll close off completely if they leave to re-align my mind with what has happened, even if it causes me extra initial stress for awhile to do that. I'm going to guess that isn't exactly a particular specific of INTJs. That's probably more of an INFJ response, but assure you I am no INFJ (not that there's anything wrong with them, of course ;P).

Edit: Ohh woops I think I misunderstood the OP. Well whatever.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You know, I'll never really get those stories about longing. If I long for a thing I take it and if its already taken, I'll never forget about it, but nevertheless not speak about it.

I know, I come from an emotionally repressed country and willpower is all I can brag with, nevertheless I just cant understand how desperate longing without doing something about it could help anybody anyhow.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Wait, just to clarify, you are the INTP girl in this story, right?

And you're wondering whether to contact your old INTJ flame?

While you're in another relationship?

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
If that is the case, then you should probably just leave him alone.

If it "wasn't the right time" before, then either wait until the time is right, or just leave him be.

If he felt a romantic connection to you, and part of that romantic connection had to do with your intellectual connection, then trying to engage him on the intellectual level will likely just stir back up those (painful) emotional memories.

Unless you want to cause him more harm, I recommend you leave him alone.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
p.s. If the angle you're coming from is that you want to get back in touch with him, to see if "the time might be right", then you should probably question whether you really want to stay in the relationship that you're already in... (and, if this is indeed your angle, then I'm sure you're already doing this...)

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
If you aren't in any contact right now, I'd leave it that way and let him get over you.

If you're with another guy and committed to that relationship, and your bf hates the INTJ, I think re-establishing contact would make everyone unhappy.

Leave him alone.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
I want to be friends with everyone, so I'd go for it. But then again, I'm weird.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
My initial thought process was pretty much exactly what Zarathustra posted.

What's your motive for talking to him again if you haven't been for months?

With the super limited information you provided, it seems like you're dissatisfied with your current relationship and want to go back and test out your old INTJ without leading him on so much that you can't break it off again if it's not what you want it to be.

You're 2 options are:

1. Re-initiate contact and tell him that you are interested in being friends only and make that fact perfectly clear.

2. Dump your boyfriend before you talk to him again.

There are other options, but these are the two that would make you not be an asshole. I could be completely off base but I can't imagine that your mind would be going in circles if there was no kind of romantic problem going on. Maybe you're trying to retreat back to your safety net? Or needy for some positive attention? Provide more information.

milkyway2

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
?
My initial thought process was pretty much exactly what Zarathustra posted.

What's your motive for talking to him again if you haven't been for months?

With the super limited information you provided, it seems like you're dissatisfied with your current relationship and want to go back and test out your old INTJ without leading him on so much that you can't break it off again if it's not what you want it to be.

You're 2 options are:

1. Re-initiate contact and tell him that you are interested in being friends only and make that fact perfectly clear.

2. Dump your boyfriend before you talk to him again.

There are other options, but these are the two that would make you not be an asshole. I could be completely off base but I can't imagine that your mind would be going in circles if there was no kind of romantic problem going on. Maybe you're trying to retreat back to your safety net? Or needy for some positive attention? Provide more information.

I've wanted to talk to him for months but I've ignored it. The reason I can't talk to him or be friends is because of my current boyfriend, they hate each other. I would want to just be friends but I also think I might have made a mistake in choosing this other guy. Because they pretty much forced me to choose one. And yes he gave me lots of compliments and positive attention and my bf now is more... not romantic and/or complimenty so I wonder if this could be part of it.

Maybe it's a mistake to bring this up and I should just keep going along with convincing myself I'm happy with this guy and always wondering if I made a mistake. Because if I did anything.... this would still happen, just switched around.

GOD I HATE MYSELF SOMETIMES

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Maybe it's a mistake to bring this up and I should just keep going along with convincing myself I'm happy with this guy and always wondering if I made a mistake. Because if I did anything.... this would still happen, just switched around.

So don't be with either one of them. If you aren't happy, you aren't happy. They probably aren't either. Stop wasting time to avoid being alone. It's about being with someone who's good for you, not being with someone who's the best of all of the shitty options. Human nature :wubbie:

milkyway2

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
?
So don't be with either one of them. If you aren't happy, you aren't happy. They probably aren't either. Stop wasting time to avoid being alone. It's about being with someone who's good for you, not being with someone who's the best of all of the shitty options. Human nature :wubbie:

But every time I try to be alone it doesn't last long and I get into a relationship. Seriously, the longest I've been single in the past 6 years is like maybe a month. I swear I wouldn't even mind it.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But every time I try to be alone it doesn't last long and I get into a relationship. Seriously, the longest I've been single in the past 6 years is like maybe a month. I swear I wouldn't even mind it.

o_O

Well, it's still your choice to be in a relationship or to stay alone, nobody's forcing you. Get a grip on yourself already and use your Ti. You can help yourself, nobody else can.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ

:thelook:

I understand that nearly everyone prefers to be in a relationship, but you aren't forced in to them. You choose to be in them. It's ok to make bad decisions and learn from them, but take responsibility when you do.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
No one can force you to be their girlfriend. You have agency. Take responsibility for your decisions. Sometimes you'll regret them later, and that's normal, but you have to be prepared to accept the consequences. Leave your INTJ ex in peace.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Why wasn't it the 'right time'? This is such a key piece of information.

I think if I liked a girl a lot, and she needed time to sort something out or whatever, and then I found out she got in a relationship with someone else I knew and then as a bonus regretted it, I think my romantic feelings would pretty much evaporate faster than an ice cube suddenly appearing on the surface of the sun.

You need to make sure you truly feel the grass is actually greener with him and this is not just absence playing with your heart. I say don't contact him till your sure some progress will be made otherwise he might get hurt just from what might be selfish curiosity/greed/indecisiveness/inability to steer your own ship through better or worse.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
o_O

Well, it's still your choice to be in a relationship or to stay alone, nobody's forcing you. Get a grip on yourself already and use your Ti. You can help yourself, nobody else can.

:thelook:

I understand that nearly everyone prefers to be in a relationship, but you aren't forced in to them. You choose to be in them. It's ok to make bad decisions and learn from them, but take responsibility when you do.

No one can force you to be their girlfriend. You have agency. Take responsibility for your decisions. Sometimes you'll regret them later, and that's normal, but you have to be prepared to accept the consequences. Leave your INTJ ex in peace.

I love INTJs