• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] How pretentious are you

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Thanks, but this didnt really help. I looked it up and it said "anmaßend" and "anspruchsvoll" and much more.

So the problem is, I can look up any english word, but there are like 5 german words it can mean, therefore I always want exactly to know what was asked for before I answer.

More help appreciated !

I'd say among the two "anspruchsvoll" is the one that captures the meaning (if I "triangulate" english-italian-german, that is), because if I recall correctly anmassend is related to self-perception rather than "showing off".

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm about 122.52% pretentious. And I'm so pretentious that I can use a percentage that doesn't make any sense and it'll still work because it is me :D

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks, but this didnt really help. I looked it up and it said "anmaßend" and "anspruchsvoll" and much more.

So the problem is, I can look up any english word, but there are like 5 german words it can mean, therefore I always want exactly to know what was asked for before I answer.

More help appreciated !

the root of pretentiousness is doing things a certain way, to make you feel more entitled to being better off. The pretentiousness of old England might be seen as, "well we have enough money to feed the entire factory, but they are all so uncivilized...maybe they don't really deserve it. I mean, they dont even wear their ascot properly!".

In modern times its more like a statement of, "if you don't do things like this, you are a barbarian". Its usually about something that has nothing to do with actually being better. Its the idea that you couldn't go to UC Berkley (one of the top 5 best schools in the world), because omg, its a public school! dun dun dun!!!

---------------------------

Admittedly this all sounds very Fe/Si. This is why so many people on this board equate being pretentious with Fe. However, I think it used to be something that all types did when they had the money and needed to justify being so much better off than everyone else.

I think NTs could be equally pretentious about stuff if they tried. Like for instance: Hybrid cars or HD TVs.
--"I drive a hybrid, and don't these non-NT idiots realize the science that makes this car far superior: it saves gas money and the environment !" ...not realizing it actually saves no money (the car costs about the $ more that you would spend on gas).
--"We have to spend the extra money on HD, because if we don't, people are going to think we are technology idiots!" ...think back about 5 years when broadcast TV wasnt in 1080 and not many programs actually aired in HD...

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
11/10

I am pretentious to the pretentious.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
10/10
smug_bastard.jpg

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I'm a one :D I'm pretty laid back... so much so that anyone who meets me assumes that I'm high. I give off pothead vibes even though I wouldn't touch the thing.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I don't understand what the term "class" in the OP refers to. :S

pretentiousness: I'm only pretentious as a joke, though sometimes people take it seriously. In reality though I'd probably say I am 3/10 pretentious.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Its the idea that you couldn't go to UC Berkley (one of the top 5 best schools in the world), because omg, its a public school! dun dun dun!!!

I knew a few pretentious people who went to Berkeley solely on the basis that it was a public school and top tier. It was the ol' I'm so progressive and liberal and a citizen of this new post-racial America; certainly I go to a UC :) Ew, look! A black person! veneer. So, I guess "pretense" is relative here.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
the root of pretentiousness is doing things a certain way, to make you feel more entitled to being better off. The pretentiousness of old England might be seen as, "well we have enough money to feed the entire factory, but they are all so uncivilized...maybe they don't really deserve it. I mean, they dont even wear their ascot properly!".

In modern times its more like a statement of, "if you don't do things like this, you are a barbarian". Its usually about something that has nothing to do with actually being better. Its the idea that you couldn't go to UC Berkley (one of the top 5 best schools in the world), because omg, its a public school! dun dun dun!!!

---------------------------

Admittedly this all sounds very Fe/Si. This is why so many people on this board equate being pretentious with Fe. However, I think it used to be something that all types did when they had the money and needed to justify being so much better off than everyone else.

I think NTs could be equally pretentious about stuff if they tried. Like for instance: Hybrid cars or HD TVs.
--"I drive a hybrid, and don't these non-NT idiots realize the science that makes this car far superior: it saves gas money and the environment !" ...not realizing it actually saves no money (the car costs about the $ more that you would spend on gas).
--"We have to spend the extra money on HD, because if we don't, people are going to think we are technology idiots!" ...think back about 5 years when broadcast TV wasnt in 1080 and not many programs actually aired in HD...

yeah...its not always about doing things a certain way. to me its the reasons as to why you do what you do that makes you (or i) pretentious.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeah...its not always about doing things a certain way. to me its the reasons as to why you do what you do that makes you (or i) pretentious.

true...and thus you might agree with this part: "...to make you feel more entitled to being better off."

However, I rarely find one without the other. Pretentious people arent necessarily people of habit (maybe thats whats throwing you off my description), but they always have a "pretentious reason" for doing things a certain way....and these have a way of recurring...

For example, a white range rover is a very typical symbol of pretentiousness around where I live...(recurring theme...though certainly someone could be pretentious about anything really)

MiasmaResonance

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, since I'm always the best at everything, I'll give myself a 10. :jew:

YoungGun2112

MBTI Type
ENTP
If I am pretentious, the pretentiousness is probably not something I truly believe in.

When pretentious I am likely doing it for show, just to get on people's nerves or be funny. I will also do it to see how people react to whatever model of arrogance I am showing. In certain instances with different variables, people will react differently, and I like to push those variables to see what happens.

In reality, I am hardly pretentious, and very easygoing with most things. I suppose that the only times I can be truly pretentious is when I see someone as being entirely illogical or wrong about something. But, for them to get to pretentious, they usually must also have to reject any other idea I propose to them, being totally opposed to any other way of seeing things. Basically very closed-minded, that really grinds my gears for some reason.

InfiniteIntrigue

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp

hahaha just teasing.
I don't really think I'm better than anyone unless they're realllly obnoxious.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
7/10. Hey, I can't help it that I'm the fucking man.

JHBowden

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
The book to read here is Simple & Direct by Jacques Barzun.

See, my lack of pretentiousness is pretentious.

:rock: