First 23456 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

See avatar.

MBTI
    entp

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    the root of pretentiousness is doing things a certain way, to make you feel more entitled to being better off. The pretentiousness of old England might be seen as, "well we have enough money to feed the entire factory, but they are all so uncivilized...maybe they don't really deserve it. I mean, they dont even wear their ascot properly!".

In modern times its more like a statement of, "if you don't do things like this, you are a barbarian". Its usually about something that has nothing to do with actually being better. Its the idea that you couldn't go to UC Berkley (one of the top 5 best schools in the world), because omg, its a public school! dun dun dun!!!

---------------------------

Admittedly this all sounds very Fe/Si. This is why so many people on this board equate being pretentious with Fe. However, I think it used to be something that all types did when they had the money and needed to justify being so much better off than everyone else.

I think NTs could be equally pretentious about stuff if they tried. Like for instance: Hybrid cars or HD TVs.
    --"I drive a hybrid, and don't these non-NT idiots realize the science that makes this car far superior: it saves gas money and the environment !" ...not realizing it actually saves no money (the car costs about the $ more that you would spend on gas).
    --"We have to spend the extra money on HD, because if we don't, people are going to think we are technology idiots!" ...think back about 5 years when broadcast TV wasnt in 1080 and not many programs actually aired in HD...
    yeah...its not always about doing things a certain way. to me its the reasons as to why you do what you do that makes you (or i) pretentious.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    yeah...its not always about doing things a certain way. to me its the reasons as to why you do what you do that makes you (or i) pretentious.
    true...and thus you might agree with this part: "...to make you feel more entitled to being better off."

However, I rarely find one without the other. Pretentious people arent necessarily people of habit (maybe thats whats throwing you off my description), but they always have a "pretentious reason" for doing things a certain way....and these have a way of recurring...

For example, a white range rover is a very typical symbol of pretentiousness around where I live...(recurring theme...though certainly someone could be pretentious about anything really)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w? sp/sx

Well, since I'm always the best at everything, I'll give myself a 10.
    "A spill at the plant increased the phosphates in the lake and produced a scum of algae so thick that the swamp smell filled the air, infiltrating the genteel mansions. Debutantes cried over the misfortune of coming out in a season everyone would remember for its bad smell."

MBTI
    ENTP

If I am pretentious, the pretentiousness is probably not something I truly believe in.

When pretentious I am likely doing it for show, just to get on people's nerves or be funny. I will also do it to see how people react to whatever model of arrogance I am showing. In certain instances with different variables, people will react differently, and I like to push those variables to see what happens.

In reality, I am hardly pretentious, and very easygoing with most things. I suppose that the only times I can be truly pretentious is when I see someone as being entirely illogical or wrong about something. But, for them to get to pretentious, they usually must also have to reject any other idea I propose to them, being totally opposed to any other way of seeing things. Basically very closed-minded, that really grinds my gears for some reason.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp

hahaha just teasing.
    I don't really think I'm better than anyone unless they're realllly obnoxious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Fools who wear their hearts proudly on their sleeves,
    who cannot control their emotions, who wallow in sad
    memories and allow themselves to be provoked this
    easily -- weak people, in other words -- they stand no chance."
    -Severus Snape

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

7/10. Hey, I can't help it that I'm the fucking man.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    See avatar.
    Of course! I gave that movie a 6/10, which correlates with how pretentious I am. Well done, indeed.
    "Poor bastard. Wait 'till he sees the bats. "
    enneagram - 7/5/3

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

The book to read here is Simple & Direct by Jacques Barzun.

See, my lack of pretentiousness is pretentious.

MBTI
    INxj
    Enneagram
    4w5

2/10 IRL
    5/10 OTI
    NiFiTeSe
    4w5 so/sp
    I 77% E 23%
    N 85% S 15%
    T 51% F 49%
    J 60% P 40%