First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Thanks, but this didnt really help. I looked it up and it said "anmaßend" and "anspruchsvoll" and much more.

So the problem is, I can look up any english word, but there are like 5 german words it can mean, therefore I always want exactly to know what was asked for before I answer.

More help appreciated !
    I'd say among the two "anspruchsvoll" is the one that captures the meaning (if I "triangulate" english-italian-german, that is), because if I recall correctly anmassend is related to self-perception rather than "showing off".
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

I'm about 122.52% pretentious. And I'm so pretentious that I can use a percentage that doesn't make any sense and it'll still work because it is me

MBTI
    ENTP

0 just sayin'

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Thanks, but this didnt really help. I looked it up and it said "anmaßend" and "anspruchsvoll" and much more.

So the problem is, I can look up any english word, but there are like 5 german words it can mean, therefore I always want exactly to know what was asked for before I answer.

More help appreciated !
    the root of pretentiousness is doing things a certain way, to make you feel more entitled to being better off. The pretentiousness of old England might be seen as, "well we have enough money to feed the entire factory, but they are all so uncivilized...maybe they don't really deserve it. I mean, they dont even wear their ascot properly!".

In modern times its more like a statement of, "if you don't do things like this, you are a barbarian". Its usually about something that has nothing to do with actually being better. Its the idea that you couldn't go to UC Berkley (one of the top 5 best schools in the world), because omg, its a public school! dun dun dun!!!

---------------------------

Admittedly this all sounds very Fe/Si. This is why so many people on this board equate being pretentious with Fe. However, I think it used to be something that all types did when they had the money and needed to justify being so much better off than everyone else.

I think NTs could be equally pretentious about stuff if they tried. Like for instance: Hybrid cars or HD TVs.
    --"I drive a hybrid, and don't these non-NT idiots realize the science that makes this car far superior: it saves gas money and the environment !" ...not realizing it actually saves no money (the car costs about the $ more that you would spend on gas).
    --"We have to spend the extra money on HD, because if we don't, people are going to think we are technology idiots!" ...think back about 5 years when broadcast TV wasnt in 1080 and not many programs actually aired in HD...

MBTI
    INTJ

11/10

I am pretentious to the pretentious.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE

7/10
    Oh yeah?

MBTI
    INTP

10/10

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I'm a one I'm pretty laid back... so much so that anyone who meets me assumes that I'm high. I give off pothead vibes even though I wouldn't touch the thing.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

I don't understand what the term "class" in the OP refers to. :S

pretentiousness: I'm only pretentious as a joke, though sometimes people take it seriously. In reality though I'd probably say I am 3/10 pretentious.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    Its the idea that you couldn't go to UC Berkley (one of the top 5 best schools in the world), because omg, its a public school! dun dun dun!!!
    I knew a few pretentious people who went to Berkeley solely on the basis that it was a public school and top tier. It was the ol' I'm so progressive and liberal and a citizen of this new post-racial America; certainly I go to a UC Ew, look! A black person! veneer. So, I guess "pretense" is relative here.