User Tag List

123 Last

Question Someone explain quantum physics (or theortical physics) to me

Here is a challenge for you high IQers.

In your own words or plain english language so we can all understand. Less jargons the better. How is it different from newtonian laws and physics.
    Better if you can summarize everything you know in one post.
    No copy and paste from wikipedia or the internet.

Keep in mind my IQ is below 70 so I can't understand complex shit.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    enfp

like if a heavy person pushes you a little, a lighter person has to push back harder

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Seriously? [...]

That said, 5 stars!

MBTI
    ENTP

Well... It explains why (or tries to) phenomena such as gravity exist. Gravity being particularly important in newtonian physics...

----------------
    Not that I'm trying to cop out or anything, but I'd rather not pour everything I know about physics in a single forum post. That would take more energy than it's worth.

MBTI
    SEXY

In the simplest language I can think of.

Quantum mechanics states that nothing is as it seems, and all our scientific observations are by definition flawed. There is no such thing as truth, there is only statistics.
    (removed)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Take a map fold it over and over again. Then stick a pin through it longways. Open the map and notice when I ask you where the pin hole is the map shows it all over the place even though there was originally only one pinhole.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Take a map fold it over and over again. Then stick a pin through it longways. Open the map and notice when I ask you where the pin hole is the map shows it all over the place even though there was originally only one pinhole.
    That sounds more like an explanation of chaos theory but I guess it applies to quantum physics ass well. It's a good example.
    (removed)

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quantum Mechanics is like playing Russian Roulette with probability.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quantum physics is pretty broad... defining it as a whole is pretty rough to do but let's cover a few basic concepts at least.

Quantum basically means a single or smallest value of something. A quantum of energy would be the smallest possible amount of energy for example. Hence, quantum physics deals with stuff on a really really small scale, though this information can have important effects on a larger scale.

Examples of this include, but are not limited to:

Defining gravity, and why it doesn't work like the other 3 known forces of nature (electromagnetics, strong nuclear and weak nuclear).

Identifying, classifying and generally trying to prove and make sense of the little bits that make up atoms that're smaller than even electrons, neutrons and protons. Anything sub-atomic gets into quantum theory.

Dealing with the fact that there seems to be odd stages in nature; whot works on a large scale doesn't work the same way on a small scale.

Most of the really weird stuffs involving probability are due to the above issue, and difficulties in measuring tiny stuff (standard equasion basically breaks down into meaning that if something's going in a really random curve, the more accurate yeu know the direction it's going, the less accurate yeu know where it exactly is at that moment, but if yeu know where it is, yeu can't tell which direction it's going; a bit more complex than that but yeah that's the basic kinda interpretation).

There's stuff related to time dialation, radiation, particle pairings, and lots of really weird things like dark matter.

If yeu want the coles notes version:

"Freaky action at a distance" ~ Einstein

Anyways, stuff works really weird because we don't really know the EXACT rules of the universe as such... normally when yeu learn something, yeu start with the basic foundation, understand that, then work upwards from there. The problem is, we don't know whot the basic foundation is, we started somewheres in the middle, because that's all we can see without insanely powerful microscopes, and some stuff we can't even prove exists outside of theory because they're so small, or aren't easy to see like dark matter.

So yeah, we're stuck starting from the middle and trying to backwards engineer the answers, except all we get basically is a button we hit that says "yes" or "no" on whether our current guess was accurate or not... problem is, it's such a complex concept most of the time that there could be thousands of things which're "close" but only one that's actually accurate.

So physics is generally accurate normally... until yeu get too accurate or large a scale; on a really tiny scale, a minor error is very large in comparison to the whole; ifs yeu have 100 and are off by 1, no big deal only 1% error margin. If yeu have 5 and are off by 1, that's a 20% error margin and it no longer works. Same thing is true the other way around... 1 degree angle isn't that big a deal on a small scale, but go into like astronomical units of distance measurement... and 1 degree can be billions of miles difference.

As such, our 'kinda vague guesstimates' we have from trying to figure things out backwards aren't that accurate on the large nor small scales, and quantum physics kinda tries to make it more accurate on the small scale, since if yeu can get it accurate there, then it'll make the large scale more accurate as well. Usually... then again some of the stuff that happens small scale is really really freaky weird.

Seriously, yeu could practically call quantum physics magic for how strange that stuff is XD