• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Someone explain quantum physics (or theortical physics) to me

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Here is a challenge for you high IQers.

In your own words or plain english language so we can all understand. Less jargons the better. How is it different from newtonian laws and physics.
Better if you can summarize everything you know in one post.
No copy and paste from wikipedia or the internet.

Keep in mind my IQ is below 70 so I can't understand complex shit.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
like if a heavy person pushes you a little, a lighter person has to push back harder

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Seriously? [...]

That said, 5 stars!

Nescio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well... It explains why (or tries to) phenomena such as gravity exist. Gravity being particularly important in newtonian physics...

----------------
Not that I'm trying to cop out or anything, but I'd rather not pour everything I know about physics in a single forum post. That would take more energy than it's worth.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
In the simplest language I can think of.

Quantum mechanics states that nothing is as it seems, and all our scientific observations are by definition flawed. There is no such thing as truth, there is only statistics.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Take a map fold it over and over again. Then stick a pin through it longways. Open the map and notice when I ask you where the pin hole is the map shows it all over the place even though there was originally only one pinhole.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Take a map fold it over and over again. Then stick a pin through it longways. Open the map and notice when I ask you where the pin hole is the map shows it all over the place even though there was originally only one pinhole.

That sounds more like an explanation of chaos theory :glasses: but I guess it applies to quantum physics ass well. It's a good example.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Quantum Mechanics is like playing Russian Roulette with probability.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Quantum physics is pretty broad... defining it as a whole is pretty rough to do but let's cover a few basic concepts at least.

Quantum basically means a single or smallest value of something. A quantum of energy would be the smallest possible amount of energy for example. Hence, quantum physics deals with stuff on a really really small scale, though this information can have important effects on a larger scale.

Examples of this include, but are not limited to:

Defining gravity, and why it doesn't work like the other 3 known forces of nature (electromagnetics, strong nuclear and weak nuclear).

Identifying, classifying and generally trying to prove and make sense of the little bits that make up atoms that're smaller than even electrons, neutrons and protons. Anything sub-atomic gets into quantum theory.

Dealing with the fact that there seems to be odd stages in nature; whot works on a large scale doesn't work the same way on a small scale.

Most of the really weird stuffs involving probability are due to the above issue, and difficulties in measuring tiny stuff (standard equasion basically breaks down into meaning that if something's going in a really random curve, the more accurate yeu know the direction it's going, the less accurate yeu know where it exactly is at that moment, but if yeu know where it is, yeu can't tell which direction it's going; a bit more complex than that but yeah that's the basic kinda interpretation).

There's stuff related to time dialation, radiation, particle pairings, and lots of really weird things like dark matter.

If yeu want the coles notes version:

"Freaky action at a distance" ~ Einstein

Anyways, stuff works really weird because we don't really know the EXACT rules of the universe as such... normally when yeu learn something, yeu start with the basic foundation, understand that, then work upwards from there. The problem is, we don't know whot the basic foundation is, we started somewheres in the middle, because that's all we can see without insanely powerful microscopes, and some stuff we can't even prove exists outside of theory because they're so small, or aren't easy to see like dark matter.

So yeah, we're stuck starting from the middle and trying to backwards engineer the answers, except all we get basically is a button we hit that says "yes" or "no" on whether our current guess was accurate or not... problem is, it's such a complex concept most of the time that there could be thousands of things which're "close" but only one that's actually accurate.

So physics is generally accurate normally... until yeu get too accurate or large a scale; on a really tiny scale, a minor error is very large in comparison to the whole; ifs yeu have 100 and are off by 1, no big deal only 1% error margin. If yeu have 5 and are off by 1, that's a 20% error margin and it no longer works. Same thing is true the other way around... 1 degree angle isn't that big a deal on a small scale, but go into like astronomical units of distance measurement... and 1 degree can be billions of miles difference.

As such, our 'kinda vague guesstimates' we have from trying to figure things out backwards aren't that accurate on the large nor small scales, and quantum physics kinda tries to make it more accurate on the small scale, since if yeu can get it accurate there, then it'll make the large scale more accurate as well. Usually... then again some of the stuff that happens small scale is really really freaky weird.

Seriously, yeu could practically call quantum physics magic for how strange that stuff is XD

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Or for the really short version:

Physics is whot yeu call trying to describe how something happened, for example, a car skidding on the ground and coming to a halt.

Quantum physics is whot yeu call trying to describe how something happened on a really really really really tiny scale, for example, theoretical particles like gravitons, to explain why the car was even on the ground in the first place and didn't get flung off into space from the earth's rotation.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Newton's laws describe properties of things you can see; from specks of dust to stars - maybe even galaxies...although that is in question until we determine what exactly dark energy and matter are...
quantum physics describes things on the 'sub-atomic' scale, or the rules that goven the motion of matter/energy at its smallest size; the bits that make up electrons, protons and atomic nuclei. Things on this scale do not behave in a way that is predictable through Newtonian physics. "quantum" means "how much?" in Latin...
It's a basic goal of physics to unify these two physics into a system that can describe both, without contradictions. String theory is such an attempt at a unified theory of everything...the 'holy grail' of physics.
there is more, but that the basic dealio, yo.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I heard an INTJ explaining one time how quantum physics can explain why your wrist watch will be off by a couple minutes every 5 years.

I'm an INTP and everything, so listening to the discussion was cool, but listening to it kind of gave me a headache. It can get pretty hairy.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
There's no appreciable difference between tendency and fact.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
Quantum mechanics is just asking the question "Why?" one more time.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Here is a challenge for you high IQers.

In your own words or plain english language so we can all understand. Less jargons the better. How is it different from newtonian laws and physics.
Better if you can summarize everything you know in one post.
No copy and paste from wikipedia or the internet.

Keep in mind my IQ is below 70 so I can't understand complex shit.

This is a real challenge for an ENTP theoretical physicist! Thanks :D
I'll try to keep it as simple as possible...

Newtonian mechanics describes very well how big things like cars, crates, wheels, tables, bottles,... behave. Paper clips and dust particles are also seen as "big" here.
With small, I mean really small: molecules, atoms, electrons... These tiny particles behave very differently from what we are used to.

Newtonian physics says: "for every cause, there is only one effect." Sometimes similar causes give very different effects. But still, if the cause is exactly the same, the effect is the same too.

Quantum physics says: "for every cause, there are more effects". It's like throwing a die. Except that a real die is "big" and if you know exactly the speed and position in the beginning, you can predict accurately which side it will show. For electrons this is NOT the case. The quantum mechanical "die" gets thrown every time you look at the electron.

This is very strange. We are used to predict the outcome of experiments. If I shoot a cannon, I can predict where the shell will fall. Every uncertainty in the prediction is caused by uncertainty in the shooting. If you are perfectly sure of the begin speed and direction and place of the shell, you will be perfectly sure of its destination!

If I shoot an electron cannon, I can only make a prediction like "50% of the electrons will fall here, 40% of the electrons will fall there and 10% of the electrons will stay in the air". Even if I'm perfectly sure of the begin speed, direction and everything.

There is more, but I don't want to flood you with information...

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Ok

the biggest mysteries in the universe (in my opinion) is time and the human brain.
Because these are the two things that define our perception of the universe.

I will keep observing this thread.:peepwall:

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
so is it about probability or energy or stuff?
What books should I read to learn more about this topic?
what about string theory and unfied field theory or black holes and stuff.
Anyone have any articles and recoomendations?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
so is it about probability or energy or stuff?
What books should I read to learn more about this topic?
what about string theory and unfied field theory or black holes and stuff.
Anyone have any articles and recoomendations?

The Elegant Universe- Brian Greene

This will cover all those things you mentioned and is quite accessible as an introduction to general relativity and quantum mechanics as well.