• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT Depression?

Windigo

What would cause depression in the following types? What would that depression look like?
INTJ/ENTJ/ENTP

Which type would be most likely immobilized by a lack of options?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Open your eyes, it's the second best friend I have in life

If I knew its causes, I wouldnt be here (on earth I mean)

d4mselfly

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I've never been depressed. I've been looked up to as the "rock" before, which is interesting because I can't empathise, having never been depressed or particularly in tune with my feelings at all. I wonder if it's because others are envying that detachment, if only briefly?

I always come up with options. Stagnancy itself is much more miserable for me than the actual traumatising event, so I'll do whatever I can for the sake of progress (even if it's not technically progress sometimes, and more along the lines of moving parallel if I can't actually move forward for whatever reason - it gives perspective).

Windigo

Open your eyes, it's the second best friend I have in life

If I knew its causes, I wouldnt be here (on earth I mean)

Hmmm. . . you're saying your depression is your best friend? Can I understand that you as and ENTP embrace your depression? How often does it occur/how long does it last? Does it tend to pop up at specific times in your life? How do others deal with it?

thescientist

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
What would cause depression in the following types? What would that depression look like?
INTJ/ENTJ/ENTP

I suffer from it along with high levels of anxiety. What CAUSES it? Well any stupid problem TRIGGERS it. Cause? I'd have to say in my case it's a hereditary thing.

What does it look like? I isolate myself, want to be alone for LONG periods of time, have little patience with those that are close and want to "talk about it", dont eat, feel like a failure, beat myself up, and most of the usual other symptoms of depression. When I'm highly depressed/anxious I also have compulsive behaviors. Just repetitive obsessive habits.

I'm actually depressed at the very moment.

I think INTJ's may be prone to higher levels of anxiety. They have this perfectionist complex, where anything that isn't perfect is just WRONG, and anxious behavior ensues until it's perfect.

Honestly, the perfectionist aspect of me has been dissipating recently. Not sure why or if I've just stopped caring as much. Perhaps I've been expecting less of others realizing I will be disappointed most of the time because people will always fall short of my expectations. (This could be where most people feel we come across as arrogant.)

Not sure I understand. What kind of options are you referring to?

Windigo

I've never been depressed. I've been looked up to as the "rock" before, which is interesting because I can't empathise, having never been depressed or particularly in tune with my feelings at all. I wonder if it's because others are envying that detachment, if only briefly?

I always come up with options. Stagnancy itself is much more miserable for me than the actual traumatising event, so I'll do whatever I can for the sake of progress (even if it's not technically progress sometimes, and more along the lines of moving parallel if I can't actually move forward for whatever reason - it gives perspective).

Yes, I understand. Ive been through many traumatic events recently and I was the rock in each situation. I didn't cry or show my emotions as long as there was something to do. Now I am a place where all my support systems are GONE and I have no direction. So I am stagnating because I don't know which way to go.

I was this way once before right after highschool when I failed to get into the college I wanted and my life plans were derailed. It took a year to just do something to move forward.

So I believe it IS stagnation that is depressing me at the moment not the simultaneous loss of family, church and job.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTJ/ENTJ/ENTP

There's a simple cure for any form of Depression. But modern life makes such a natural attainment almost impossible, if not improbable.

1. Completely eliminate sugar and salt from one's diet.
2. Completely eliminate grains, that's right no bread folks.
3. Get adequate sleep each night.
4. Get at least thirty minutes of walking or some other form of movement activity in each and every day.
5. Eat 50/50 Fruit/Vegitables to Protein ratio if you're physically active.
Eat 80/20 ratio if you're not very active.
No processed foods or starches either.
6. Point of stillness meditation. How? If the source of one's angst has an emotion, breath it in and feel it fully. Then breath out relief
and a sense of well-being for yourself and all the others who suffer. Another method would be to focus on the out breath and simply
observe one's thinking. When the mind throws up the negative chatter just observe it and mentally call it "thinking" Eventually, using
those two methods with a daily time set aside...you can not only change your thought process but your life. We are not what our mind
chatters. It's a way to discipline one's emotions and thoughts vs. being at their mercy.

Following those five simple steps, one can cure ADHD, Depression, certain forms of diabetes, prevent heart disease and eliminate obesity.

But most people would rather take a pill.

Windigo

I suffer from it along with high levels of anxiety. What CAUSES it? Well any stupid problem TRIGGERS it. Cause? I'd have to say in my case it's a hereditary thing.

What does it look like? I isolate myself, want to be alone for LONG periods of time, have little patience with those that are close and want to "talk about it", dont eat, feel like a failure, beat myself up, and most of the usual other symptoms of depression. When I'm highly depressed/anxious I also have compulsive behaviors. Just repetitive obsessive habits.

I'm actually depressed at the very moment.

I think INTJ's may be prone to higher levels of anxiety. They have this perfectionist complex, where anything that isn't perfect is just WRONG, and anxious behavior ensues until it's perfect.

Honestly, the perfectionist aspect of me has been dissipating recently. Not sure why or if I've just stopped caring as much. Perhaps I've been expecting less of others realizing I will be disappointed most of the time because people will always fall short of my expectations. (This could be where most people feel we come across as arrogant.)

Not sure I understand. What kind of options are you referring to?

Yes, I get the perfectionist thing. Ive given up because Im tired of being called a control freak.

Options. I don't have any job openings in my particular field at the moment. And since I define my self through my work . . . this makes me feel even more like isolating myself . . . only I EAT instead of the opposite.:doh:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Hmmm. . . you're saying your depression is your best friend? Can I understand that you as and ENTP embrace your depression? How often does it occur/how long does it last? Does it tend to pop up at specific times in your life? How do others deal with it?

If you had open your eyes, you'ld know I hate doctors as in that's all you'll get out of me

Jaguar

There's a simple cure for any form of Depression. But modern life makes such a natural attainment almost impossible, if not improbable.

4. Get at least thirty minutes of walking or some other form of movement activity in each and every day.

Following those five simple steps, one can cure ADHD, Depression, certain forms of diabetes, prevent heart disease and eliminate obesity.

Good God, you sound just like my brother. :shock:

Windigo

Good God, you sound just like my brother. :shock:

Good God, I sound just like my brother too! LOL (Except he's dead now . . .)

Actually I appreciate the advice from Slippy, since I know the information intuitively will relieve depression. When I was living this way I was able to easily lose 10lbs per month.

I have started walking 2 miles a day and eating more veggies (I actually love them!) But I can't seem to kick the coffee/bread routine in the am.

Ultimately though Jag, do you think that an ENTJ ever gets depressed and if so, what would it look like?

I seem to have 2 days where I get up go for a long walk, come home work on projects around the house, hang out with my kids, have a healthy supper on the table for my hubby and have an all around awesome day . . . but then every third day I sit around staring at the wall and crying and beating myself up for not having a job and spending too much time on TypC. :cry:

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Windigo, I personally think that coffee's fine in absense of sugar. As with anything, moderation is the key...and I have my own struggles with moderation at times. :)

The dietary recommendations center around trying to eat foods that have an alkaline vs. acidic reaction with the human system.

Not being employed when one desires or needs work is a difficult scenario for anyone to contend with. Feeling bummed out is a normal response.

When you experience those moments, maybe one of the meditation techniques could help. Like experiencing the feelings associated fully in your heart on the in breathe, and breathing out a wish for yourself and everyone else who's going through a similar experience right now. A breathe of sending "relief"

I've used that technique for many situations that have been difficult in life. It's counter intuitive in that my ego would want to shield my being from the experience of pain. And the feelings would return, in not having been satisfied.

But by attempting to fully experience the feeling, and breathing relief out. All the armour falls away, and at least for me I find a greater comfort zone....acceptance and compassion for myself and others in whatever life experience brings.

One sitting is not a permanent solution, it's the path of a lifetime...with gradual progress.

Windigo

I never use sugar in my coffee. I don't really like sugar in its more obvious forms (ie. I like potatoes and fruit but not cake and ice cream). I do have an affinity for salty fatty foods and grains.

I noticed (today in fact) that the coffee tends to make my stomach acidic. It also makes me very tired, so maybe my adenals are stressed?

Thanks for reminding me about meditation. I just went to a therapist for the first time last friday and she showed me some breathing/meditation techniques. It felt a little awkward at the time . . . I guess I need practice. I tend to breathe better when I am exercising and feel a little dorky visualizing things for some reason. I always have.
I always feel stupid doing things like talking to dead people unless I am really pissed off at them. Does this make sense?

I'm also trying to figure out if I really am an ENTJ.

I'm rambling again . . . I hate that.
Thanks for your input. ISTPs are THE BEST!!!

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:) I don't do very well with visualizing either. I found two audio by Pema Chodron I listen to frequently. Just lay back on the sofa and listen, fading in and out of consiousness. Observing my own mind chatter as she speaks.

I've found myself automatically focusing on the breath to bring my attention to the present moment at differing points of the day. As a result of those tapes.

For those brief moments I hear the birds chirp, the wind...and feel it's coolness on the skin. My mind is neither past nor future...just experiencing now. What a welcome relief that is. My perspective and response to situations have changed somewhat too...to a more comfortable and peaceful space.

The titles are, "When Things Fall Apart" and "Getting Unstuck"

Noticing you feel that coffee is having an acidic effect, yes...that's important
too. Listening to what our bodies are telling us individually about food/drink.

milkyway2

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
?
Depression is similar for everyone. It happens because of learned helplessness.

Typology

MBTI Type
epyT
Enneagram

6. Point of stillness meditation. How? If the source of one's angst has an emotion, breath it in and feel it fully. Then breath out relief
and a sense of well-being for yourself and all the others who suffer. Another method would be to focus on the out breath and simply
observe one's thinking. When the mind throws up the negative chatter just observe it and mentally call it "thinking" Eventually, using
those two methods with a daily time set aside...you can not only change your thought process but your life. We are not what our mind
chatters. It's a way to discipline one's emotions and thoughts vs. being at their mercy.

What does removing grains, bread to be specific, from your diet have to do with depression?

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I get REALLY depressed when I can't live up to my own expectations...

...and it happens fairly often. Like today.

:cry: