User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: NT Depression?

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    There's a simple cure for any form of Depression. But modern life makes such a natural attainment almost impossible, if not improbable.

1. Completely eliminate sugar and salt from one's diet.
    2. Completely eliminate grains, that's right no bread folks.
    3. Get adequate sleep each night.
    4. Get at least thirty minutes of walking or some other form of movement activity in each and every day.
    5. Eat 50/50 Fruit/Vegitables to Protein ratio if you're physically active.
    Eat 80/20 ratio if you're not very active.
    No processed foods or starches either.

Following those five simple steps, one can cure ADHD, Depression, certain forms of diabetes, prevent heart disease and eliminate obesity.

But most people would rather take a pill.
    Good God, you sound just like my brother.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    uh, err... I must resemble that remark.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Good God, I sound just like my brother too! LOL (Except he's dead now . . .)

Actually I appreciate the advice from Slippy, since I know the information intuitively will relieve depression. When I was living this way I was able to easily lose 10lbs per month.

I have started walking 2 miles a day and eating more veggies (I actually love them!) But I can't seem to kick the coffee/bread routine in the am.

Ultimately though Jag, do you think that an ENTJ ever gets depressed and if so, what would it look like?

I seem to have 2 days where I get up go for a long walk, come home work on projects around the house, hang out with my kids, have a healthy supper on the table for my hubby and have an all around awesome day . . . but then every third day I sit around staring at the wall and crying and beating myself up for not having a job and spending too much time on TypC.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Windigo, I personally think that coffee's fine in absense of sugar. As with anything, moderation is the key...and I have my own struggles with moderation at times.

The dietary recommendations center around trying to eat foods that have an alkaline vs. acidic reaction with the human system.

Not being employed when one desires or needs work is a difficult scenario for anyone to contend with. Feeling bummed out is a normal response.

When you experience those moments, maybe one of the meditation techniques could help. Like experiencing the feelings associated fully in your heart on the in breathe, and breathing out a wish for yourself and everyone else who's going through a similar experience right now. A breathe of sending "relief"

I've used that technique for many situations that have been difficult in life. It's counter intuitive in that my ego would want to shield my being from the experience of pain. And the feelings would return, in not having been satisfied.

But by attempting to fully experience the feeling, and breathing relief out. All the armour falls away, and at least for me I find a greater comfort zone....acceptance and compassion for myself and others in whatever life experience brings.

One sitting is not a permanent solution, it's the path of a lifetime...with gradual progress.

I never use sugar in my coffee. I don't really like sugar in its more obvious forms (ie. I like potatoes and fruit but not cake and ice cream). I do have an affinity for salty fatty foods and grains.

I noticed (today in fact) that the coffee tends to make my stomach acidic. It also makes me very tired, so maybe my adenals are stressed?

Thanks for reminding me about meditation. I just went to a therapist for the first time last friday and she showed me some breathing/meditation techniques. It felt a little awkward at the time . . . I guess I need practice. I tend to breathe better when I am exercising and feel a little dorky visualizing things for some reason. I always have.
    I always feel stupid doing things like talking to dead people unless I am really pissed off at them. Does this make sense?

I'm also trying to figure out if I really am an ENTJ.

I'm rambling again . . . I hate that.
    Thanks for your input. ISTPs are THE BEST!!!

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

I don't do very well with visualizing either. I found two audio by Pema Chodron I listen to frequently. Just lay back on the sofa and listen, fading in and out of consiousness. Observing my own mind chatter as she speaks.

I've found myself automatically focusing on the breath to bring my attention to the present moment at differing points of the day. As a result of those tapes.

For those brief moments I hear the birds chirp, the wind...and feel it's coolness on the skin. My mind is neither past nor future...just experiencing now. What a welcome relief that is. My perspective and response to situations have changed somewhat too...to a more comfortable and peaceful space.

The titles are, "When Things Fall Apart" and "Getting Unstuck"

Noticing you feel that coffee is having an acidic effect, yes...that's important
    too. Listening to what our bodies are telling us individually about food/drink.

Thanks for the names of the tapes.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    ?

Depression is similar for everyone. It happens because of learned helplessness.

MBTI
    epyT
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    There's a simple cure for any form of Depression. But modern life makes such a natural attainment almost impossible, if not improbable.

1. Completely eliminate sugar and salt from one's diet.
    2. Completely eliminate grains, that's right no bread folks.
    3. Get adequate sleep each night.
    4. Get at least thirty minutes of walking or some other form of movement activity in each and every day.
    5. Eat 50/50 Fruit/Vegitables to Protein ratio if you're physically active.
    Eat 80/20 ratio if you're not very active.
    No processed foods or starches either.
    6. Point of stillness meditation. How? If the source of one's angst has an emotion, breath it in and feel it fully. Then breath out relief
    and a sense of well-being for yourself and all the others who suffer. Another method would be to focus on the out breath and simply
    observe one's thinking. When the mind throws up the negative chatter just observe it and mentally call it "thinking" Eventually, using
    those two methods with a daily time set aside...you can not only change your thought process but your life. We are not what our mind
    chatters. It's a way to discipline one's emotions and thoughts vs. being at their mercy.

Following those five simple steps, one can cure ADHD, Depression, certain forms of diabetes, prevent heart disease and eliminate obesity.

But most people would rather take a pill.
    What does removing grains, bread to be specific, from your diet have to do with depression?
    Only after disaster can we be resurrected.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj

I get REALLY depressed when I can't live up to my own expectations...

...and it happens fairly often. Like today.

Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.