User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Question Worshiping at the altar of science.

Just a quick, 3 part question:

Part one:
    Do you believe in a god, gods, angles, daemons, or afterlife? (in other words, are you spiritual)

Part two:
    If yes, why do you believe (in one or more of the above)
    If no, why dont you believe (in any of the above)

Part three:
    How do your beliefs (or disbeliefs) complement your personality / daily life style.
    Last edited by Bellflower; 03-08-2010 at 11:20 AM. Reason: fixed title typo

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I am spiritual, because I feel the world is made up off of energy, some of which is not that clear to us, but present nonetheless. Energy which can be drawn upon and which breathes life into organisms, much like energy can power other things. As for your last question, it enriches my life by giving it meaning and adding to the world, much like a 2D pic stands to gain from being drawn in 3 D.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Senior Member ObliviousExistence's Avatar
    MBTI
    loco
    Enneagram
    5W4

Do you believe in a god, gods, angles, daemons, or afterlife?
    no, I haven't seen any evidence or reason to believe in such things.

I would say I'm somewhat spiritual, though I can't exactly describe it.

How do your beliefs (or disbeliefs) complement your personality / daily life style?
    It gives me the realization that I have to take responsibility for my life, and that life is short and it is indeed what you make of it. ''I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul''
    "He was free, free in every way, free to behave like a fool or a machine, free to accept, free to refuse, free to equivocate; to marry, to give up the game, to drag this death weight about with him for years to come. He could do what he liked, no one had the right to advise him, there would be for him no Good or Evil unless he thought them into being." JP Sartre

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

not until i see some of those and if i do i would most likely just have gotten insane

its not logical and there is no evidence

i guess it doesent
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Do you believe in a god, gods, angles, daemons, or afterlife? (in other words, are you spiritual)
    I'm basically agnostic. There's no reason to believe nor disbelieve any of these things. I really doubt that the universe just magically was made to work in this way perfectly, all of the patterns and functions of atoms working in daily life, so I don't disbelieve in a god.

How do your beliefs (or disbeliefs) complement your personality / daily life style.
    Well, I'm not religious so they affect my lifestyle by them not being included in my life. I am somewhat spiritual and enjoy reading some of those kinds of books, but it's not really anything but a hobby.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ObeyBunny View Post
    Part one:
    I am one.

Part two:
    If yes, why do you believe (in one or more of the above)
    I think, therefore I am.

Part three:
    They go hand in hand.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Part one:
    I once read about a distinction that called "belief" and "knowledge" to be the two focal points of an ellipse. This analogy wanted to express that the distance between the two focal points and for example the upper middle of the ellipse is when in balance the same distance. But if you move on the elliptic curve you gain some distance in one direction, while sacrifing some in the other.

That means that the knowledge of things always needs someone to believe in it. That can range from pioneers, who believed in new ideas but were ignored in their times, like Galileo Gallelei. And this can have a more philosophical nature like: we do know that the color red is red, but we cant really prove red; maybe to an animal red is actually green. So the knowledge of the color red is something we believe in.

To answer your question: I do believe in everything that I can imagine. In that regards I especially believe in the power of belief and the impact it can have on human lifes in the negative and positive aspects.

I do tho not know if there is a god and therefore I wont assume that there is one.

I personally have severe issues with religions, who dictate people how to lead their lifes in a limiting or even hostile way and I dont know if those rules they have are really derived from a higher power. I can imagine that they could be and I can believe in it, but the probability in light of recent appearings of higher beings we had throughout earth history is nearing zero.

Part three:
    Believing or Imagining can be an attitude that enables you to empathise or understand other peoples reasoning better. The sole attitude to not limit ones imagination to supposingly reasonable logic can enable you to more easy read between the pages.

But of course it can enable you to become nuts aswell.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I don't believe in gods, demons and all the rest. I suppose I could talk about lack of evidence, but fundamentally I just don't feel any need for such things to exists. I guess such believes suit my life as well as any thing.

MBTI
    INFP

Check out:

Why Won't God Heal Amputees?

and/or the book Thank God for Evolution, by Michael Dowd

Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Altar.

None of the above.

If no, why dont you believe (in any of the above)
    The usual lack of evidence, etc., and the fact that it would be waste of time to agonise over the question of whether or not those things exist when there is no evidence. I consider myself an atheist rather than an agnostic because I don't believe in any of them in the context of science's present understanding of the world, but that could change, in theory. I have no rational reasons to believe, but I can't say they don't exist with 100% certainty, either, because that would be irrational in itself.

It's hard for a lack of something like that to effect my day-to-day life, but I guess it gives me one less thing to blame when something goes wrong. It's so irrelevant to me that I don't even think about it unless someone starts going on about what God did or didn't do for them, and I quietly grit my teeth.