User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 22

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    158

    Default

    I don't believe in god, angels, demons, an afterlife or similar supernatural stuff.

    I don't believe in these things because I don't see evidence for these things, I believe that the rational position without evidence of their existence is to not believe they exist (Occam's razor, extraordinary claims requiring extraordinary evidence, etc) and I want to be rational.

    My disbelief in the afterlife has increased by valuing of the lives of sapient beings in this universe, I for instance believe that a strong scientific effort should be put towards ending aging, which increases my transhumanism. It's made me more pro-science. It has made me better able to examine claims about the world and understand the world.

  2. #12
    Senior Member ObeyBunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Thank you, everyone.

    But actually I was hoping for replays like:

    ďIím an NT, and I believe in god, because it seems unlikely that random molecular bonds could create a sentient humanĒ

    OrÖ

    ďIím an NT, and I donít believe in god, because an all knowing benevolent god would have done away with the worldís murderers in the same way that you would pluck weeds from a garden.Ē

    OrÖ

    Iím an NT, and Iím having trouble believing in daemons, but my 3rd grade teacher must be one since sheís been teaching at my school for the past 65 years, and she doesnít look a day over 40. Also, sheís extremely evil.

  3. #13
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default


  4. #14
    Priestess Of Syrinx Katsuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?
    Posts
    1,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ObeyBunny View Post
    Just a quick, 3 part question:

    Part one:
    Do you believe in a god, gods, angles, daemons, or afterlife? (in other words, are you spiritual)
    This doesn't neccesarily tie into spirituality at all. One can be spiritual without the typical context. Yes, I'm spiritual, no, I don't really consider such things to be absolute guarantees; the afterlife's most plausible, but it's also quite possible to just be the brain's interpretation of erroneous data as it dies.

    I do, however, believe that something created the universe; whether that was god, an inanimate object, or whotever, I have no idea. It could be a creature with no more intelligence than a dog, for all we know. It could be a being that exists outside of our dimensional awareness, or it could be nothing of the sort. Under the information I have, however, it seems likely that SOME kind of semi-sentient being probably had some hand in the creation of stuff, though that's supposition at best.

    Note, also, that the only thing required to be classified as a "god", is the ability to manipulate matter and energy beyond our current understanding; in the case of a higher dimensional being, this would occur by default, and there would appear to be many possible gods in that case if such beings do in fact exist.

    Angels make more sense if yeu assume they were merely an alien race on another planet created before humans; if yeu read through any passage on their origins in the bible, it just makes total sense that way. I see no reason to believe otherwise, assuming they exist at all.

    Furthermore, in terms of 'fate' and such, I've just seen too much and tied it together to understand that... every MAJOR bad thing seems to occur for a reason. Yeu may not understand why at the time, but without such, certain later events would not occur. I wouldn't be where I am if choice painful moments hadn't happened. Sure, they sucked at the time, but they had to happen. Does this mean there's a "fate" in store for us? That everything's pre-set? Is it controlled by god? Or is the universe just some elaborate clockwork machine? I have no idea, I just have the evidence presented so far, which implies that things are being run with some degree of order, even if it looks like chaos until later on.




    Part two:
    If yes, why do you believe (in one or more of the above)
    If no, why donít you believe (in any of the above)
    I can't go with anything on blind faith; I require some kind of evidence, even if only suggestive, to at least see the plausibility of whether something's true or not. The typical anecdotal evidence presented by most spiritual people doesn't narrow down ANYTHING, it just says that, yes, they had some kind of spiritual experience; if they had've been a different religion, they would've attributed it to that one instead, so I can't take those ones very seriously.

    I believe whot I do believe because I feel it makes the most sense with the information I currently possess, which admittedly, isn't really enough to form anything concrete. It's a "best guess", and nothing more. So, not quite 'true' believing.



    Part three:
    How do your beliefs (or disbeliefs) complement your personality / daily life style.
    They pretty much tie in with such fully. I seek to know the truth, accept that anything, no matter how unlikely, is possible, but that only things with strong supporting evidence are particularly plausible.

    I do most things in life with that manner, trying to learn and understand more, while being open to the possibility that whot I thought was "right", may be incorrect if the information I was given was misleading or false to begin with.






    Anyways, my personal beliefs are kind of weird, but I do believe in some vague sort of semi almost god-like being out there... thing is, I don't worship such either. I don't consider them to be a 'true' god, but rather, just a being with more power to manipulate time, space, energy and matter than we are capable of fully understanding. This doesn't make them god, nor perfect, but rather, a teacher, a mentor, perhaps a father figure if they actually pay attention to us at all. I don't even have proof of that, though.

    Regardless, I do pray, but once again, these are prayers that use common sense... to ask for someone to live through cancer or something is silly; they got it for a reason, and they will live or die as dictated already. Yeur prayers asking for them not to die will do nothing to change that matter as it's already been decided beforehand. The best yeu can do is ask that, for the trials they go through, that they are given access to the tools they need to pass those trials, and that they be given the clarity of mind to recognize such, and perhaps a bit of extra strength when needed, at the times they want to just give up. If we were to have everything just handed to us because we asked, there'd be no purpose behind such trials in the first place, unless such exist to "boost god's ego", in which case I would rather fail than boost the ego of someone who clearly doesn't deserve it.

    Maybe I'm supposed to learn humility, I suppose I'm not very good at that, for the most part, but I can't see that being the only reason for most situations.

    In any case, I'm just rambling now, hope somewheres in that mess I answered the questions XD







    EDIT: Oh yeah, this was in relation to type...

    Uhm for type, ENTP, this's pretty much normal for a method of thinking. The inability to accept on blind faith is pretty much inherent, so I don't think there's too many ENTP's that are truly 100% religious in the traditional sense... most likely, they will tend to be similar to the above listed; tying to make sense of the information presented as best they can with the tools they have.

  5. #15
    Senior Member ObeyBunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    This doesn't neccesarily tie into spirituality at all. One can be spiritual without the typical context. Yes, I'm spiritual, no, I don't really consider such things to be absolute guarantees.
    Iím glad someone brought this up, that you donít have to be fully engrossed in mainstream religious icons to spiritual.

    My mom, for instance, doesnít believe in god so to speak. But she believes that all living things can effect each other through (not prayer, more like focused thought.)


    /)_/)
    ('.-')
    /(")(")
    ObeyBunny

  6. #16
    Priestess Of Syrinx Katsuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?
    Posts
    1,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ObeyBunny View Post
    Iím glad someone brought this up, that you donít have to be fully engrossed in mainstream religious icons to spiritual.

    My mom, for instance, doesnít believe in god so to speak. But she believes that all living things can effect each other through (not prayer, more like focused thought.)


    /)_/)
    ('.-')
    /(")(")
    ObeyBunny
    Or avatar!

    =D

    >.>

    Alright, I'll be quiet now...

  7. #17
    Senior Member ObeyBunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Or avatar!

    =D

    >.>

    Alright, I'll be quiet now...
    You mean the movie?

    /)_/)
    ('.-')
    /(")(")
    ObeyBunny was here to eat cake.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Feops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INTx
    Posts
    829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ObeyBunny View Post
    Just a quick, 3 part question:

    Part one:
    Do you believe in a god, gods, angles, daemons, or afterlife? (in other words, are you spiritual)

    Part two:
    If yes, why do you believe (in one or more of the above)
    If no, why donít you believe (in any of the above)

    Part three:
    How do your beliefs (or disbeliefs) complement your personality / daily life style.

    1. No.
    2. There's no reason to. It's needless complication.
    3. It meshes well with my personality. Black and white, cause and effect.

  9. #19
    Intriguing.... Quinlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo
    Posts
    3,005

    Default

    I believe in angles, right angles, cutey angles and whatnot.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

    Quinlan's Creations

  10. #20
    Senior Member Shimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    SEXY
    Posts
    1,868

    Default

    Part 1: No
    Part 2: Occam's razor tells me it's irrelevant.
    Part 3: I'm slightly hedonistic and egocentric, and yes, I do try to corrupt others into trying my lifestyle. On the bright side I don't condemn people to hell if I disagree with them. So basically, nothing particular, religious or atheist related is happening in my life.
    (removed)

Similar Threads

  1. the Pinnacle of Science Fiction
    By Kingfisher in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-17-2010, 07:32 PM
  2. Informal Discussion on the Philosophy of Science
    By ygolo in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 12:23 PM
  3. [NT] NTs are at the bottom of society
    By Jgib5328 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 12:10 PM
  4. What is the purpose of Science Fiction?
    By The √ú‚ĄĘ in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 06:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO