User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Jerk or opposite personality?

Hey, there. I’m a very new member, so please forgive me if I don’t understand the terminology and ask to have even the most basic principals of Tipe-ology explained to me.

+++

Well, anyway, On to my question:

How can you tell the difference between a person who is an a**-hole, and someone who is the exact opposite personality type as you?

(I’m asking this because I think I know 2 ESFP’s and one of them is [almost] a close friend of mine, the other is a manipulative jerk)

Thank you.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

How do you define asshole? And why do you assume asshole and opposite type are exclusive?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Jerks are just... jerks. An opposite type won't always be an asshole to you, type doesn't really define that. Opposite type just means opposite ways of seeing the world. This doesn't mean you automatically don't get along. In fact, two of my cousins are an INTJ and an ESFP, and they are pretty much best friends. There are a lot of ESFP and INTJ relationships reported too... it's not a type thing.

Manipulative jerks can be any type. However, type may explain HOW someone is manipulative and HOW they may be a jerk.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Being a jerk is independant of type; some types are more prone to being VIEWED as being jerks... but it doesn't mean they actually ARE.

For example, an ENTP will, in most cases, enjoy debate/arguing for the sake of doing so, and will often play devil's advocate against their own beliefs just so they have an excuse to argue about something. This can be viewed as being a jerk, but it's just entertainment to them.

An ESFJ may be very strict in their morals and emotional beliefs, and want to enforce those beliefs upon everyone else despite having no evidence to back such beliefs up; another ESFJ may be far more accomodating of others' beliefs, or grounded in reality.

It's not a distinct clear line of "ZOMG U R TEH SUK" but, rather, that there are people who are 'healthy' (ie they know how their mind works to a degree and temper their negative points a bit), and there're those that're 'unhealthy' (who will just be jerks regardless of type, for a variety of reasons).

Even among a single type, there's a wide range of people... supposedly "Thatgirl" is an ENTP, she acts nothing like I do though. There's alot of differences in how people go about certain things, and type only gives a vague indication of the reasons for doing the things yeu do, and there's other factors which can contribute as well.

Biggest thing I have to warn yeu against, is taking MBTI as flat out absolute truth, or set in stone. It's a vague reference guide at best. It shows generalistic tendencies of people and categorizes them based upon such. There's obviously NOT 16 people in the world and the rest are just identical clones of each other. Everyone has subtle nuances and differences; technically yeur 'type' shouldn't change over time, nor with experience. Yeu may forcibly change yeurself to fit a certain type, but its' not yeur innate preference by default. This means that there'll be many factors which change how yeur type is affected by adverse conditions, from personal experience, memories, current situations, and so on.

If yeu want to get a more rounded idea, try combining enneagram with mbti, since the two basically measure almost entirely different criteria; a 7w6 entp is significantly different in how they think and act, from a 4w3 entp, despite that both are entp's.

MBTI shows how yeu process information yeu receive, basically, while enneagram shows whot yeur base motivations are behind most things yeu do. These're very distinctive differences, and of the two, MBTI is probably the least accurate for identifying a 'jerk'.

Anyone can be a jerk.

MBTI
    INTJ

Default What I meant...

Quote Originally Posted by xNTP View Post
    How do you define asshole?
    During a peer review, my English teacher (the jerk I was talking about) led the students who were evaluating other student’s papers to insult the writers themselves. (Example: during the 10 minute lecture while he was introducing the activity, he proposed the question “What impression do you get from reading the paper? Does the writer strike you as a bitch?”) As apposed to guiding them to critique papers based on the merits of the paper it self.

(and some students did get “you sound like a privileged teenager” written in the margins of their papers. )

Quote Originally Posted by xNTP View Post
    And why do you assume asshole and opposite type are exclusive?
    When I think about English teacher, I can easily pin him down as an “ES”. Considering that he constantly changes the schedule on the syllabus, I assume he is a “P.” And he also keeps mentioning that there isn’t enough emotion in any of the student’s papers- which makes me think “F.”

+++

I've only met 2 ESFP's in my life. One is my English teacher, the other is one of the most enjoyable people to hang out with I've ever met.

MBTI
    SEXY

I don't believe in 'jerks', they're imaginary. Everybody believes that whatever they do will generally improve the fate of the world.

There are narcissists though, who think that everything they do should directly benefit them, because they are the most important person and what benefits them, benefits the entire world.
    (removed)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

You misspelled "graffiti" in your location.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I subscribe to the theory that the worst types for getting along are the same outside letters with opposite inside letters.
    first take ENTP vs ENTJ
    They probably wont get along together but unless they both really are complete dicks theyl realize its mostly differences in attitude not that the other person is a jerk and will simply state that they dont like the person.

now take ENTP vs ESFP

they will have a similar air about them and will at first glances will seem to be on the same wavelength. This couldnt be more wrong. ESFP makes Se observations that the ENTP doesnt agree with, ESFP tries to explain a decision from an Fi standpoint, ENTP thinks its irrational, ENTP tries to explain something with Ti ESFP thinks its coldhearted, ect ect...

you could do this with any type and produce similar results
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

MBTI
    CAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    I don't believe in 'jerks', they're imaginary. Everybody believes that whatever they do will generally improve the fate of the world.

There are narcissists though, who think that everything they do should directly benefit them, because they are the most important person and what benefits them, benefits the entire world.
    This is not the definition, or behaviour/thinking of someone with the Narcissistic personality disorder