User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: INT guilt

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Moral relativism works great for me. Especially since it's reality.
    I agree, and I'm a moral relativist. But why would a moral relativist be free from guilt necessarilly? I know many moral relativists who feel guilty a lot.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    I agree, and I'm a moral relativist. But why would a moral relativist be free from guilt necessarilly? I know many moral relativists who feel guilty a lot.
    Well when you toss out the imaginary absolute moral truths, and get to make up your own, guilt levels usually depreciate, I've found.

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4

moral relativism is true (at least to an extent)... but it doesn't remove guilt, because we have to deal with each other anyway.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by The Decline View Post
    To this day many potently vivid scenarios in the past have to do with me noticing patterns that are coming to form, and then a bad situation occurring where I could've done something but I didn't. Has anyone noticed this as well? How does one alleviate being so harsh on oneself, since it can be so crippling to overly focus on this shit?
    Why are you anxious to alleviate the guilt, rather than address (what you see as) the cause of the guilt, i.e. your passivity?
    Sometimes guilt serves a purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    epic

shame is what you're supposed to be feeling.

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4

a good point. it's just you can't go back to situations where you messed up. that's why the guilt/ shame... i suppose it's guilt first for me and that turns into shame.

you just have to try to learn from your mistakes. everyone makes them and admitting it is the first step to learning.

MBTI
    epic

i have a heightened sense of the fluidity of morality

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by velocity View Post
    shame is what you're supposed to be feeling.
    yes that's a better description.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Well when you toss out the imaginary absolute moral truths, and get to make up your own, guilt levels usually depreciate, I've found.
    I guess I wouldn't say moral relativism="making up your own morality", but more that means and ends are relative concepts, dependent on the situation.

Moral absolutism may lead to the most basic forms of quasi-superstitious "guilt" but I think moral relativism can lead to more sophisticated forms of guilt. For example I know a lot of people who are from high socioeconomi status and are leftists, and are certainly not moral absolutist, and who feel guilt because of their privelige.

I think that kind of guilt can be a good thing if it encourages them to "switch sides" and reject their priveliges etc., and fight for a society without privelige. Once they do so, they have no more reason to feel guilty. But such a position is most liely to result from moral relativism not moral absolutism, because moral absolutism tends to blame the poor for their own situation.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    ?

INTx's having a heightened sense of morality??????????

No.....

Every one that I've ever talked to has the smallest sense of morality out of all people. Or none.

Personally, I don't have much at all. Some people tell me I don't really have a conscience. I realize what morals are and why they exist but I don't really care..