• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] intp making simple things complex

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
You are all posers, I'm the only real INTP.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
INTPs don't seek to bring complexity out of simplicity, but are inclined to seek complexity to bring it into order. Like Blue says, Ti is reductionist to a fault. That being said, we can get a bit verbose. How can one appreciate simplicity and precision if not aware of the complexity and chaos?

On the other hand, their ability to grasp complexity may also lead them to provide overly detailed explanations of "simple" ideas, and listeners may judge that the INTP makes things more difficult than they are.

i have been told many times that im making some simple things more complicated than they actually are. with the first post i tried to explain why this happens.

if you dont think that quote is right, your not a real intp

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
thanks for the link to the functions test ajblaise!

so my main functions are Ti, Ne & Fe... it suggested ENTP as my type, although i've never gotten that result from the MBTI tests. i'm not a strong I, though, so that might explain something.

BigApplePi

MBTI Type
INTP
[disclaimer]This is just my personal experience and why i do this, i dont know if this is the reason for other intps or not[/disclaimer]

Its not usually complexing simple things in my personal experience. Its about looking under the surface of the "simple" thing and only on the surface that thing is looking simple. But when looking on principles on how that simple thing is working and why is it what it is, it usually is more complex thing than what it seems to be on the surface. Since most people only see the surface of it, it will look simple thing to them and they see that intp is making it more complex than what it really is.

Kinda same thing happens when intp is simplifying a complicated thing. The thing just seems complicated on the surface, but when you dig deeper into principles of it, it usually is more simple than what it seems to be on the surface, but most people only see the surface of things..

At times some things might be simple under the surface also and when intp tries to look under the surface to see if there actually is some complicated things hiding there, they need to handle that simple thing as if it was more complex than it actually is, until they realize that it is simple under the surface also. When this happens intp is actually making a simple thing more complex than what it actually is, but usually this isnt the case, because quite rarely things are as simple as they seem on the surface, but most people dont understand this, so they just see intp making simple things more complex than they actually are every time they look under the surface, not matter if it actually is more complex or not.

Can other intps relate with this?
Absolutely I can relate to this. I've been accused of making simple things complex quite a few times. But I like the symmetry of I also like to make complex things simple. By generalizing enough one can make complex things simple. Adding to what you said about complexity, one could say nothing is simple. An INTP will find complexity by analyzing and looking for context.