User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

These stereotypes don't even actually exist outside of the internet. Nobody calls my INFP friend emo, or my ESFP friend a hedonist IRL.

It's only when you analyze these things online that you start to create these stereotypes. When you don't understand a person's thought processes (when they're especially different from your own) you likely wont even notice they are occurring.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I love my ENTJ!
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by JustHer View Post
    These stereotypes don't even actually exist outside of the internet. Nobody calls my INFP friend emo, or my ESFP friend a hedonist IRL.
    Um no, the internet has nothing to do with it. Those stereotypes exist among anyone who knows about typology and discusses it regularly with others. There's no reason this has to occur on the internet.

Most books on the topic (if you've even read any) will explain both the positive and negative sides of each type, which will show you where the stereotypes come from.

Quote Originally Posted by JustHer View Post
    It's only when you analyze these things online that you start to create these stereotypes. When you don't understand a person's thought processes (when they're especially different from your own) you likely wont even notice they are occurring.
    I don't even remotely understand your insistence that stereotyping people based on behavioral trends can only occur on the internet. That's really out of left field.

Personality stereotypes occur all the time and exist in people's minds even if they don't know typology terms. Typology is really just more sophisticated name-calling. Everyone knows what it means when you say "That guy is a jerk" or "She's such a brainiac" or "He's really got his head in the clouds!"

We all stereotype each other based on past experiences of behavioral trends all the time, and from these experiences we build archetypes to describe rough representations of arbitrarily defined groups of personalities.

And in this particular classification system, the ENTJ archetype is defined as the in-charge executive type, which frequently (though not always) results in a tendency to micromanage. That's in the definition of Te, which you'd know if you'd bothered to read any of the literature on the topic of typology.

Instead, because you're pissed that a characteristic you don't like is typical of your archetype, you've pulled the nonsensical idea that Si is "required for micromanagement" completely out of your ass and continued to harp on "BUT OMG Ni DOESN'T LIKE DETAILS!!!!" for post after post while completely missing the point that the micromanaging tendency is far more related to Te/Fe than it is to any introverted perception faculty.

I mean, think about it. What is micromanaging? If you think about it for a minute it's just intuitively ridiculous to imply that any external organization process could be rooted more in introverted perception (which deals with interpreting personal meaning) than in extroverted judgment, which deals with--you guessed it--organizing the external world.

Now, when you take Te's natural micromanaging tendencies and combine them with Si's preference for sticking to what it already knows, you get a worse case of micromanaging than you do when you combine it with Ni's preference for seeing numerous different angles...

...but this doesn't change the central point that the act of organizing the external environment is inherently associated with a Te/Fe attitude in the first place, not Si/Ni.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    It does.
    Really? And whining via starting a thread is going to help? Every type has an I Hate <type> Thread, every type has someone bitching that they can't get laid, can't find a relationship, can't finish school, can't get along with their parents, can't find a job...etc BECAUSE OF THEIR TYPE. Or because of someone else and their type. Or you hate me because of my type. You don't find this ridiculous? Most of the world doesn't know or care about MBTI. It's your turn. Take it like an ENTJ. Go invade a small country or do a hostile corporation takeover or something.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Really who cares. You'll be more successful than those ENTP deadbeats anyways.

*Waits for the successful ENTPs to get outraged*

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    There are bad things about ENTPs that aren't true of me
    You're in denial.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

^

you know, by complaining you're showing totally NON-ENTJ weakness
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    *Waits for the successful ENTPs to get outraged*
    I'll convert the outrage into a powerage.

The lightbulb still shines upon you!

As for the ENTJ's getting a bad rep; does it really matter?

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

...All the hate threads are a load of crap. Type has nothing to do with someone being an asshat.

Oooo...wait.

Everyone who posts hate threads are asshats.

...Or even better. Everyone is an asshat. Now let's move on. :rolli:

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

I encountered someone on a different forum who insisted that an asshole in their life was an ENTJ, even though the asshole in question self-identifies as INFJ.

In MBTI circles, the ENTJ type just seems to be the garbage bin for everyone's issues. Seems is the key word here-- the ISTJs unfortunately get that illustrious honor. Lucky them.