User Tag List

123 Last

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Question INTPs vs. ISTPs: What Makes You So Different?

`
    I've been thinking about this for a while, and it puzzles me.

I've known three ISTPs, and quite a few INTPs and I am having trouble differentiating the two.

Could it be that the ISTPs I know happen to be innately ridiculously intelligent with more pronounced(?) or well developed Ti than some of the INTPs I know?

Regardless, what are the telltale signs that distinguish one from the other?

What makes this more puzzling for me is that, I know my being an ENFP as opposed to an ESFP makes kind of a huge difference.

:confused:

So in this case, preferring or using Ne versus Se manifests in clearly distinctive ways, but for IXTPs such does not seem to be the case!!!

So, please, dear internet friends, share your thoughts/experiences/observations.

Many thanks.

S. Sapienne

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

Well I'm currently with an ISTP (although the more I think about it, the more I reckon she's ISFP) and our interaction styles are different. She's warmer, assertive and friendlier I am. I think the Ne makes me more detached from my environment and the people in it. Plus I have crippling shyness towards strangers I barely know. She isn't shy at all, treating strangers and familiar folk the same. I think Se makes ISTPs seem more engaged than INTPs.

As an Ne-user, distinguishing the two should be easy. I've found with the ISXP that while she appreciates my way of thinking, she finds it hard to keep up. She naturally finds it hard to read into things, notice patterns and she has crap memory, favouring Se over Si. I often find an Ne-user is more likely to pick up on subtley like deadpan or irony, whilst I had to teach the ISXP my style. She's learning, bless her. But like I said, I'm doubting her type.
    Um, yeah.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post

Could it be that the ISTPs I know happen to be innately ridiculously intelligent with more pronounced(?) or well developed Ti than some of the INTPs I know?
    I think it may be related to this, however a bit in the opposite direction as you seem to imply. I think it's less likely that ISTPs over-rely on Ti as much as INTPs do, at the expense of all their other functions, which can make INTPs seem far more neurotic, maladjusted, and locked into bad ways of thinking, while the ISTPs don't seem to over value Ti and thus appear far more laid back and well adjusted, so their intelligence doesn't manifest itself negatively.

It can be tough to tell the two apart really. In your example, even though ENFP/ESFP is one letter off, you're using two different dominant functions while the ITPs use the same one, so the difference is going to be how they interact with the world and where they find their external stimulation.

ISTPs will tend to have a more visceral, physical reactions to the world and engage it "as is" or with an intent to change it's physical characteristics, while the INTPs will view the world in terms of relationships, connections, similarities, differences, possibilities that are suggested by the world itself.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm not sure exactly how, but we do feel very different to me - mainly for the less well-adjusted INTPs, though. The ones who are more...likeable also seem much less alien to me. More like people than type stereotypes.

I don't think it's because of excessive Ne; it seems to be instead an over-reliance on Ti (which some istps can share, to be fair). It's probably easier to use Se to "relax" Ti than it is to use Ne...maybe Ne is encouraging the unfortunate tendency of some N's to play up the "outcast" role. I think this may account for some of the differences.

One noticeable difference here is that INTPs will dig an argument to the ground whether or not they're clearly right/wrong. The ISTPs will tend to make a few (1-3) posts and then give it up as a lost cause when that fails to make people see the light. Maybe we just get bored too easily, lol.

There's just so, so many intps here that it's hard to generalize. There are some "interesting" ones and many more who are reasonable.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

The ISTP I'm thinking about particularly seems to *only* and I do mean *only* value and rely on his Ti, that coupled with and compared to his past experiences/observations/the way things seem to be.

I was talking to him the other day and he said something akin to this, "Everywhere, there's problems, and I've got to try to fix these problems, and even in my problem solving there's problems, and even in my solutions there's problems, everything always fucked up!"

:confused:
    `

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INFP

I would say the real difference lies in the theoretical difference.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I'm not sure exactly how, but we do feel very different to me - mainly for the less well-adjusted INTPs, though. The ones who are more...likeable also seem much less alien to me. More like people than type stereotypes.

I don't think it's because of excessive Ne; it seems to be instead an over-reliance on Ti (which some istps can share, to be fair). It's probably easier to use Se to "relax" Ti than it is to use Ne...maybe Ne is encouraging the unfortunate tendency of some N's to play up the "outcast" role. I think this may account for some of the differences.

One noticeable difference here is that INTPs will dig an argument to the ground whether or not they're clearly right/wrong. The ISTPs will tend to make a few (1-3) posts and then give it up as a lost cause when that fails to make people see the light. Maybe we just get bored too easily, lol.

There's just so, so many intps here that it's hard to generalize. There are some "interesting" ones and many more who are reasonable.
    I've argued with both types, and both types seem to argue till the moon disappears and the sun rises.

Which I like!

And, hmmm, I do get an "earthier" vibe from the ISTPs than I do from the INTPs.

Perfect example.

An INTP and I can discuss random thought-provoking shit for hours on end, and this would and will suffice.

An ISTP and I can discuss random thought-provoking shit for hours on end, and this can *sometimes* suffice, but these discussions happen more fluidly and with appreciation while engaging in some kind of activity like, camping, hiking, driving, etc.
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    I would say the real difference lies in the theoretical difference.
    In how we theoretically perceive them, or in how they theoretically perceive the world?
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INFP

In the theory (not the "hypothetical" interpretation of the word theoretical).

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post
    The ISTP I'm thinking about particularly seems to *only* and I do mean *only* value and rely on his Ti, that coupled with and compared to his past experiences/observations/the way things seem to be.
    I think you are probably confusing that, then, with the tendency of INTP to get lost in a bunch of abstract tangents which might or might not be apparent.

I think T anchored to an S function is a lot more visible than T anchored to an N. Like Randomity's later anecdote suggests, ISTP is visibly pragmatic (e.g., dropping a pointless/useless discussion), while N often feels the need to explore all the zillions of pathways even if they see where it is going, because there's value to the type in that exploration process.

I think ISTPs get a lot more done that INTPs, at least in the tangible world; applications of Ti are made externally. INTPs can get pretty anal about the abstracted thinking process itself, regardless of its practical applicability... the abstracted concepts often never get practical application, they exist for themselves.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft