• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INTPs vs. ISTPs: What Makes You So Different?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Awwww.

I :heart: ISTPs.

Can't say that too often, can ya?
Nope!

:wub:^infinity

I think so... and why you are more apt to find INTPs in theoretical physics instead.
Yeah, this makes sense. :)

+1

The wisdom of Solitary Walker...

Too bad he is a douchebag.
lol!

ISTPs have sex, INTPs masturbate (both physically and intellectually)
ISTPs are down for stroking their own egos with intellectual masturbation, they, too, are prone to giving lectures, and, er, the ones I know (physically) masturbate quite a lot.

(wait a second, who doesn't? :thelook:)

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nope!

:wub:^infinity

Yeah, this makes sense. :)

lol!

ISTPs are down for stroking their own egos with intellectual masturbation, they, too, are prone to giving lectures, and, er, the ones I know (physically) masturbate quite a lot.

(wait a second, who doesn't? :thelook:)

I don't see the bolded at all. Although I am coming to think of ego dysfunction and boosting as something irrespective of type.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hi Poki! I see you are questionning your type. I never felt you as a hardcore ISTP. You are on here too much for that. haha. You like to converse too much. You think you could be an E? interesting.

I am a dominant Ti so I flip flop between Se and Ni. I am actually extremely hardcore Se and do it for fun, not for a goal. Thats why I see it as a huge preference as I push for it every chance I get regardless of goal. I revert into theory when I have problems. Right now I have alot of things I am searching for and trying to figure out. Se is fun, Ni is my problem solving mode, both entail Ti.

Very few on here will see my hardcore Se side.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't see the bolded at all. Although I am coming to think of ego dysfunction and boosting as something irrespective of type.
Not to get Freudian, but...

My INTP dad exclusively lectured at.

My ISTP enjoys lecturing, and will say, or preface his lectures with, "Just let me talk for a bit"

Where "a bit" means a loooooooong masturbatory lecture where he will intermittently say, "God, I'm a genius" .... blather, blather, blather...

:D

However, this ISTP is very willing and wanting to engage in DIALOG, which is great!

:cheers:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not to get Freudian, but...

My INTP dad exclusively lectured at.

My ISTP enjoys lecturing, and will say, or preface his lectures with, "Just let me talk for a bit"

Where "a bit" means a loooooooong masturbatory lecture where he will intermittently say, "God, I'm a genius" .... blather, blather, blather...

:D

However, this ISTP is very willing and wanting to engage in DIALOG, which is great!

:cheers:

He has to externalize his thoughts sometimes :) I actually see this in NFPs when they start to ramble and eventually that "god, im a genius" moment is when their Fi externalizes and they get this huge smile like "I just figured it out".

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They don't like to hike. There's no purpose in it. Unless they have a goal in mind.
I think you're joking....right? It's not really clear.

The purpose of hiking is to be hiking. It's NFs who need a bloody purpose for everything in life.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
He has to externalize his thoughts sometimes :) I actually see this in NFPs when they start to ramble and eventually that "god, im a genius" moment is when their Fi externalizes and they get this huge smile like "I just figured it out".

So true!!!

:)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think you're joking....right? It's not really clear.

The purpose of hiking is to be hiking. It's NFs who need a bloody purpose for everything in life.
Eh?

Sometimes the purpose is the path, and what better path to take than a beautiful one in nature a la a hike!

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's interesting, because most people report seeing so much difference between INTP and ISTP that they have trouble understanding how the two can even have the same dominant function.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
That's interesting, because most people report seeing so much difference between INTP and ISTP that they have trouble understanding how the two can even have the same dominant function.
:confused:

Maybe my confusion is due to my ridiculously small sample set of ISTPs.

But, for me, it is difficult to ascertain the lack of N-ness in these ISTPs.

Perhaps they are IxTPs, then?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Lol. There. :)

I tend to hike because I like to hike, + I can "see" -- interfacing the actual world just triggers all my possibility sense. But sometimes I can drop into just observing the real data... and it's weird to me. It's like i experience all this data in the moment and am sync with it but cannot recall any of the specifics later no matter how hard I try.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I recently discovered just how amazing hikes can be while employing the use of binoculars and a loupe.

So many things to see!!!

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:confused:

Maybe my confusion is due to my ridiculously small sample set of ISTPs.

But, for me, it is difficult to ascertain the lack of N-ness in these ISTPs.

Perhaps they are IxTPs, then?

No such thing. They're just really aloof and make it hard for people to really get to know them.

In my experience, both enjoy solving puzzles and forming a complete understanding of the principles that make things work the way they do, without much regard for whether they can apply that understanding to completing some other goal. The thrill of cracking the system and understanding it fully is enough.

INTPs tend toward more abstract puzzles like physics or philosophy or hypothetical logic problems. ISTPs tend toward more tangible puzzles that they can get their hands on and figure out, like electronics or video games or automechanics.

Both really, really seem to enjoy strategy games. I've run into a lot poker players of both types. INTPs usually view the game as a complex math problem, trying to use statistical patterns to reason out opponents' probable hand ranges, while ISTPs will approach it more from a standpoint of figuring out people and using subtle physical cues (often stuff that NTPs don't even notice) to discern when they're lying.

NTPs play the cards; STPs play the person (this is an oversimplification but helps illustrate the idea.) It's funny when they get into arguments over the way hands were played, because sometimes the STP will make some play that the NTP sees as clearly mathematically incorrect--and sometimes it is--but other times it lets the STP take advantage of opportunities the NTP didn't even notice.

Like, the STP will make some weirdo call in a situation where all the numbers would indicate that he should probably fold. Sometimes he's wrong and it just looks like an impulsive waste of money; other times he's right and he looks like a genius for picking up some subtle physical tell. Either way it drives the NTPs nuts. ;)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
No such thing. They're just really aloof and make it hard for people to really get to know them.
True, ISTPs are aloof, very aloof.

But I've had the opportunity to become very close to one, and yeah, his lack of Ne, relative to my use of Ne has instigated its fair share of problems, but ten times more than that, his puzzlement at/of my Fi has led to the greatest problems between us. My Ne processor he can handle and stimulate exceedingly well whereas my Fi navigator/soul/anchor he seems to not only not understand, but loathe and scoff at. :/

In my experience, both enjoy solving puzzles and forming a complete understanding of the principles that make things work the way they do, without much regard for whether they can apply that understanding to completing some other goal. The thrill of cracking the system and understanding it fully is enough
This is very true.

INTPs tend toward more abstract puzzles like physics or philosophy or hypothetical logic problems. ISTPs tend toward more tangible puzzles that they can get their hands on and figure out, like electronics or video games or automechanics.
Hmmm, the ISTP I know LOVES physics, hates Philosophy, but loves to philosophize, if that makes sense, and he will dabble in hypothetical logic problems.

In fact, he is BIG on contingency thinking/planning, which, in a way, is hypothetical logic problem solving, right?

You are right, that he likes to tinker with "toys", but to be honest, he spends more time tinkering with software than he does with actually taking the computer apart. Whereas, his ESTP best friend is BIG into tinkering with electronics and works on building computers.

Also, regarding automechanics, this is IMPORTANT sim, and this is where I am confused the most, the ISTP I know cares and spends a lot more time understanding the mechanics than actually tinkering with them, hence my confusion!!!

I will frequently ask him how things work, from computers to engines, to planes, and I am floored by how knowledgeable he is in all of these fields/areas, he understands not only the parts, but the physics behind the systems that make these parts work.

^Is that Ti?

Both really, really seem to enjoy strategy games. I've run into a lot poker players of both types. INTPs usually view the game as a complex math problem, trying to use statistical patterns to reason out opponents' probable hand ranges,
Hmm, the ISTPs I know are definitely all about strategy, but the one I am specifically talking about works and values physics, math, and statistical patterns/procedures like crazy. (He's a civil engineer)

while ISTPs will approach it more from a standpoint of figuring out people and using subtle physical cues (often stuff that NTPs don't even notice) to discern when they're lying.
Now, here is where I have to disagree with you entirely.

The ISTPs I know don't care much about people, in general, and are pretty piss-poor at reading social cues.

:huh:

NTPs play the cards; STPs play the person (this is an oversimplification but helps illustrate the idea.) It's funny when they get into arguments over the way hands were played, because sometimes the STP will make some play that the NTP sees as clearly mathematically incorrect--and sometimes it is--but other times it lets the STP take advantage of opportunities the NTP didn't even notice.

Like, the STP will make some weirdo call in a situation where all the numbers would indicate that he should probably fold. Sometimes he's wrong and it just looks like an impulsive waste of money; other times he's right and he looks like a genius for picking up some subtle physical tell. Either way it drives the NTPs nuts. ;)
I notice here, that you switched to STPs, instead of ISTPs, and I have definitely seen/observed/witnessed a VAST difference between these two types.

ESTPs are people-persons.

Much more privy to relating with/towards people, ISTPs, however...

Not so much.

Do you think the STPs you speak of are in fact ESTPs?