• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] The Ultimate INTP List

MerkW

Just as I have done with INTJs on another forum (track me down if you wish, but I am under a different name), I have suddenly had the urge to create an ultimate list of famous INTPs, real and fictional. Well, here it is. Some of the typings are not confirmed, so if you disagree with any, please create a presentable argument in favor of your opinion. Similarly, feel free to add anyone to the list.

Famous INTPs:

* Abraham Lincoln - American President (possibly any NF, though)
* Adam Smith – Scottish moral philosopher, political economist
* Albert Einstein - German physicist
* André-Marie Ampère – French physicist
* Aristotle – Greek philosopher (possibly ENTP)
* Ashley Olsen - actress (Full House)
* Baruch Spinoza – Jewish-Portuguese philosopher
* Béla Bartók – Hungarian composer, pianist (a complete guess, probably an INxx)
* Blaise Pascal - French mathematician
* Bobby Fischer – grandmaster, chess expert (perhaps ISTP?)
* Bob Newhart - comedian, actor
* Brent Spiner - actor ("Data" on Star Trek)
* Carl Jung - Swiss psychiatrist
* Carl Sagan – astronomer, astrochemist, popularizer of natural science
* Charles Darwin - English naturalist
* Dr. David Keirsey – psychologist
* Erik Satie – French avant-garde musician (small chance of INFP)
* Fritz Lang – filmmaker (very likely INxJ)
* Galileo – Italian astronomer
* Gerald Ford - American President
* Geoffrey Pyke – British inventor (very likely ENTP, though)
* Georgia O'Keefe – painter (not entirely sure about this one)
* George Soros – Hungarian philanthropist
* Glenn Gould – Canadian pianist, Bach enthusiast, and composer (INTJ or ENTP?)
* Gottfried Leibniz – German mathematician, ‘natural philosopher,’ and polymath
* Gregory Peck - actor
* Henry Cavendish – British scientist
* Edward Witten – theoretical physicist, string theorist, founder of M-theory
* Isaac Newton – astrophysicist, ‘natural philosopher’, and alchemist
* Jack Kevorkian – notorious pathologist
* James Madison - American President
* Jeff Bingaman - U.S. Senator
* John F. Nash Jr. – mathematician, game theorist
* John Quincy Adams - American President
* John Tyler - American President
* Ludwig Boltzmann – Austrian physicist
* Marie Curie – Polish/French physicist, chemist
* Mary-Kate Olsen - actress (Full House)
* Meryl Streep - actress
* Midori Ito - Japanese figure skater
* Nicolaus Copernicus – Polish mathematician and astronomer
* Nikola Tesla – Serbian inventor, engineer, and physicist (INTJ and ENTP, perhaps?)
* Norbert Wiener – Russian/American mathematician
* Oliver Heaviside – British mathematician, engineer, and physicist (maybe INTJ)
* Parmenides – Greek philosopher
* Pierre De Fermat – mathematician (again, somewhat of a guess)
* Rene Descartes - French philosopher
* Rick Moranis - actor (Honey, I Shrunk the Kids)
* Robert Rosen – theoretical biologist
* Socrates - Greek philosopher
* Steve Allen – comedian, writer, musician (not so sure where this came from)
* Steve Wozniak – computer engineer, co-founder of Apple (ENTP?)
* Thales – Greek philosopher, “Father of Science”
* Thomas Jefferson – U.S. president
* Theodore Kaczynski (“The Unabomber”) – infamous criminal (Seems somewhat ‘J’)
* William Harvey - medical doctor
* William James - American psychologist

Fictional:

* Ash - Alien
* Avon - Blake's 7
* Bernard Marx – A Brave New World
* Brian Griffin - Family Guy
* Data - Start Trek: The Next Generation
* Dexter – Dexter’s Laboratory
* Dr. Gregory House – House
* Dr. Otto Octavius (‘Doc Ock’) – Marvel Comics
* Dr. Susan Lewis - E.R. TV show
* Filburt - Rocko's Modern Life
* Howard Roark – The Fountainhead (INTJ? ISTP?)
* John Galt – Atlas Shrugged
* Klaus and Violet Baudelaire – A Series of Unfortunate Events
* Linus van Pelt – Peanuts
* Luna Lovegood – Harry Potter
* Mycroft Holmes (and less likely his more famous brother Sherlock) (INTJ?)
* Peter Parker/Spiderman – Marvel Comics
* Phileas Fogg – Around the World in Eighty Days (both the novel and the film)
* Professor Calculus – Tintin
* Seven of Nine - Star Trek: Voyager
* Tails – Sonic the Hedgehog

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ugh, I was going to participate some.... then felt overwhelmed by the list.

Peter Parker is an INFP, though. I don't know a Marvel hero with more introverted values-driven behavior than him, and he's written that way by everyone.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Here are some that I disagree with:

Isaac Newton - I believe is INTJ. His discoveries rely more on insight than logic. Also his discoveries were more toward the physical world than of a purely theoretical nature. He really was the first to have the basic insight (Ni) into calculus, but viewed it as an application toward physics rather than a purely theoretical system like Leibniz (Ti).

Nikola Tesla - I would guess he is INTJ first, then ENTP. I never considered him INTP.

Socrates - ENTP. He liked to argue with people in order to gain wisdom. Also he never wrote anything himself, which I expect an INTP would. This type has been argued at length in another thread.

Dr. Otto Octavius - INTJ. Fictional characters are harder to type, but he's got those elaborate supervillian schemes that are typical to INTJ.

Peter Parker/Spiderman - I'm thinking of the comic book character and not the movie. It depends on when he is written, but usually he is ENTP. He's written as someone always making wisecracks and can also come up with elaborate battle plans on the spot to defeat his foes. He's clearly ENTP. However in the early comics drawn by Ditko I'd say he's more of an INTJ.

As an aside I think Al Gore is an INTP, but that typing is highly debated.

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't know about the rest of you, but Stewie Griffin is not someone I'd like to associate with...............

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think Roark's definitely an INTP. An INTJ would have spent the next few years plotting Ellsworth Toohey's grisly death after the whole temple incident.

Mycroft's tough. There's really not enough mentioned about him in the books to be sure. His regimented lifestyle is more reminiscent of an INTJ, but the way he seems content with and challenged by his present work and doesn't seem to have any particular interest in gaining status is more INTP-like.

Also, Tails? That's... esoteric.

ygolo

My termites win
Here are some that I disagree with:

Isaac Newton - I believe is INTJ. His discoveries rely more on insight than logic. Also his discoveries were more toward the physical world than of a purely theoretical nature. He really was the first to have the basic insight (Ni) into calculus, but viewed it as an application toward physics rather than a purely theoretical system like Leibniz (Ti).

Nikola Tesla - I would guess he is INTJ first, then ENTP. I never considered him INTP.

Socrates - ENTP. He liked to argue with people in order to gain wisdom. Also he never wrote anything himself, which I expect an INTP would. This type has been argued at length in another thread.

Dr. Otto Octavius - INTJ. Fictional characters are harder to type, but he's got those elaborate supervillian schemes that are typical to INTJ.

Peter Parker/Spiderman - I'm thinking of the comic book character and not the movie. It depends on when he is written, but usually he is ENTP. He's written as someone always making wisecracks and can also come up with elaborate battle plans on the spot to defeat his foes. He's clearly ENTP. However in the early comics drawn by Ditko I'd say he's more of an INTJ.

As an aside I think Al Gore is an INTP, but that typing is highly debated.

I was going to say a lot of the ones on the list I would have said were INTJs not INTPs. Also, several ENTPs, and INFPs.

I don't read enough to know about the Peter Parker assessment, but the movie character seemed INFP.

I think Tesla is an xNTP based on what he wrote in My Inventions but he was known to quite a showman (though a poor marketeer). I think he is a good candidate for ENTP. But I wouldn't completely rule out INTP.

Al Gore, I don't know about.

The other modifications, I agree with LL.

Marie Curie, Thomas Jefferson are two that I would consider INTJ as well.

Galileo, IMO, was an extravert. Either ENTP or ENTJ would be my guesses. I think he often gets clubbed together with Copernicus who I think is a good INTP candidate.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
* Klaus and Violet Baudelaire – A Series of Unfortunate Events
* Luna Lovegood – Harry Potter

I would disagree with Violet Baudelaire - she seems more like an S in that she's pretty hands-on and practical - the ultimate problem-solver.

And Luna Lovegood is far, far too spacey to ever be a rational! Maybe an INFP? I don't know, though.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I used to think Meryl Streep was an INTP but FineLine has sold me on ESTP.

Also I buy Blackwater and TLL's arguments that Socrates was an ENTP.

The argument in favor of Socrates being an ENTP is at best superficial and almost wholly ignores his inner life which was preponderous over his outer life. This is a classical error of doing typology based on personality ans not temperament, confusing appearance for essence. His thought also bore very little semblance on Intuitonism prominent in eminent ENTPs like Hume and Maimonides. Socrates was more of a sytemizer and an analyst than a visionary and his visions mostly, however crude they were, were never an end in themselves but almost always means to his problem solving.

Al Gore was also an INTP, see the earlier thread discussion on this subject matter.

I'd like to see the all INTJ list as well please.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I have an addition....

I should be at the top of that list!!!

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm no expert on the Olsen twins, but I believe one of them is known to be more outgoing than the other. I'd be surprised if they were both introverts. (Don't ask me which is which though.)

gretch

MBTI Type
ENFP
I have a few contenders:

Aristotle? He in my humble opinion was an NF.

Ashley Olsen? really?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
This is for INTPs you goof!
:thelook:
Now look here you cutesy INFP, use your tiny amount of logic and you'll see that not only am I supposed to be on the list but that I should be at the damn top of it!!

Hell I can raise either eyebrow independently! Beat that :tongue10:

MerkW

:thelook:
Now look here you cutesy INFP, use your tiny amount of logic and you'll see that not only am I supposed to be on the list but that I should be at the damn top of it!!

Hell I can raise either eyebrow independently! Beat that :tongue10:

For goodness sake, use your Ti. Clearly, if you did belong on the list, you would be at the bottom, as it is sorted by the first letter of one's name. Clearly, you'd also be at the very, very bottom (under the "fictional characters" section), since we all know that you are simply an illusion of our mind's, rather than an entity existing in reality. :devil: