• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Introverted Intuition not Introverted thinking the primary\dominant function of INTPs

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
its objective truth that you can not find out the truth behind typology, without making observation your primary goal. its unscientific, pre-rational not to do so. knowing this, does not "make" me any type.

I agree with the gist. I'm a conceptual thinker/theorist, but it is important to me that the ties to real data be present... otherwise one could just be fooling oneself, even if the system has integrity internally and detached from the environment.

On the other hand, aren't Pe people always scanning the environs for data?

...btw, your link did not clarify the stages as I had hoped. It offered some interesting framework for the theory but no detailed clarification.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
*Ahem*

The stated purpose of the J/P distinction is to distinguish IPs according to which of the two top functions are extroverted. If you extrovert a judging function, you're a J; and if you extrovert a perceiving function, you're a P.

They could have done a classification according to which of the top two is introverted and given us INTJ meaning the Ji is introverted (aka MBTI INTP) and INTP meaning Pi is introverted (aka MBTI INTJ).

Is there anything in this topic that goes beyond discussion of simple classification nomenclature? If there is, the principle theoretical argument for MBTT as it stands seems to be that there is an adaptive advantage to cognitive polarisation: one doesn't need functions of the same orientation that have directly conflicting priorities. Or something like that.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*Ahem*

The stated purpose of the J/P distinction is to distinguish IPs according to which of the two top functions are extroverted. If you extrovert a judging function, you're a J; and if you extrovert a perceiving function, you're a P.

Right, that's the MBTI method--nanook is arguing that the Socionics method (having P/J refer to which function is dominant instead of which is extroverted, which inverts P/J for introverts) is somehow objectively superior and that you can determine this factually through observation. (???)

They could have done a classification according to which of the top two is introverted and given us INTJ meaning the Ji is introverted (aka MBTI INTP) and INTP meaning Pi is introverted (aka MBTI INTJ).

Sure, and that would work equally well. It's just a question of how you choose to label the same ideas.

Is there anything in this topic that goes beyond discussion of simple classification nomenclature? If there is, the principle theoretical argument for MBTT as it stands seems to be that there is an adaptive advantage to cognitive polarisation: one doesn't need functions of the same orientation that have directly conflicting priorities. Or something like that.

Not really--nanook and oblivious are arguing that P/J should refer to which function is dominant instead of which one is extroverted. You hear this crap from Socionics advocates all the time--it's not that they're wrong, just that they're so sure their system is objectively superior that they don't realize how insignificant these little labeling differences really are.

MBTI's system isn't better either--it just doesn't really matter much which one you use.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
@kalach: you are apparently ignoring what has been said. i realize you cant share (validate) my perspective as you do not have my insights but try to use your imagination to understand what has been said, so you get the hypothesis right. no further repetitions.

to be fair, i ignore most of what you say myself. i just check to see whether you are on the track or make an effort to stay away from it, then - in the latter case - i skip ..

i'm sorry for being unkind, its quite stressing to be surrounded by people who make arguments about the posters cognition when this is only distracting from the topic. i realize though that you don't realize how it is really not related at all. i can understand, sort of.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
@kalach: you are so totally ignoring what has been said. i realize you cant share (validate) my perspective as you do not have my insights but try to use your imagination to understand what has been said, so you get the hypothesis right. no further repetitions.

lol no, actually he summarized your entire position when he said:

Is there anything in this topic that goes beyond discussion of simple classification nomenclature?

And what we're seeing in this thread is a reinvention of that classification, which happens to be opposite to Izzy's? We are NOT seeing the suggestion that INTPs have special magical non-systematic access to, *gulp*, my realm? Phew.

You are quickly becoming my favorite INTJ. :wubbie:

"hey, if I should ever find out, that a huge amount of people are not characterized by their second function because they exclude it rather than integrate it with their dominant function, then i would have to come to the conclusion, that you are right about how its insane (illogical) to associate them with an archetype that is entirely unrelated to what characterizes them"

Ah, the truth surfaces. You resent having the word "Judging" in your type label because you're dominant in a Perceiving function, and also extremely introverted, with poor command of your secondary Judgment faculty.

HINT: Most introverted J types in MBTI actually are pretty decent at their secondary Je function, as it's by far the most efficient way for them to deal with the outer world effectively--but even this is irrelevant because the term "Judging" in an MBTI context only refers to "the strongest extroverted attitude."

You don't like that because you don't have a strong extroverted attitude, but that's a problem with your personal imbalance that you've erroneously projected onto a majority of introverts, not a problem with MBTI's P/J classifications. In this context, the word "Judging" doesn't necessitate that you are proficient in a Judging process; it merely signifies that your strongest natural extroverted attitude would be the Judging one! You seem to have decided arbitrarily that being a J type must inherently imply strength in a Judging function, but it doesn't.

Note that your leading with two introverted functions also leads to over-dependence on personal/subjective perspectives and a general inability to consider external input. That's what you're supposed to be using that Je function you suck at for, but hey, why bother balancing yourself when you can just badmouth extroversion all day and never bother learning about its value?

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
There is some scheme here, some grand joke.

I allege no direct, nor even indirect connection to Victor. All the same, may I have my tinfoil hat, please?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
RANT

Nanook: I am seriously intimidated to enter this thread. I usually wouldn't touch a thread teeming with so many ntps with a 10 ft pole, but you resonate so strongly with me that I must speak out. I have been grapplng for quite a while myself (ever since I discovered mbti, jung, typology, etc) to reconcile these theories with what I observe in people I know, predominantly family, but friends too.

Reading your posts made me realize the whole thing I've had trouble getting my mind around, and correlating to my observations, has been the whole J/P dichotomy! I have been saying people are a mix of N/S and T/F. The degree of divide is variable, depending on primarily genetics, but also somewhat on environment. To think in terms of INF or EST or ISF makes so much of a better fit with how I see people use functions. I test great on Ne and Fi, which I'm not 'supposed to.' I think it's falling out in my mind something like this. I know it won't be good enough for Ti-ers, but I hope it makes sense to someone.

If you are close on the N/S, T/F divide, you might be more likely to use different perceiving functions or different judging functions. Whereas if you are at the extreme N, S, T, or F end of the scale, you would use more both attitudes of the same function . For example:

I am nearly all N, as clearly as I can test, looking at my genetics (as best as I can guess), and in pondering my perceiving functions. And I am better at Ni. I am, however, only moderate F, with my mother having been an intj, and noting that I can be very T in my humor, interaction, etc. I am an INF. So that means for me, I use Ni/Ne, Fe/Ti.

My daughter is very close on her N/S divide, getting strong N from me and strong S from her father, and she lives in an environment where both S and N are fostered. She, however, is more moderately T. She is IST, so I would call her functions out to be: Si/Ni, Te/Ti.

Lemme do another one: My son is about 80%N/20%S, almost all T, INT. So I would say he is Ni/Ne, Te/Ti.

Get it? Haha. You guys are so gonna crucify me. I DO believe a balance of functions is necessary, of the extraverted versus the introverted persuasion. But the whole J/P thing just, in my mind, confounds things and makes rules where no rules should be.

As far as telling if a peson uses more of a perceiving or judging function, well, that will have to determined some other way. But does it even really matter? We perceive, we judge. Those two are the ying/yang of who we are. Is it really accurate to put one first? Does it invite more misleading interpretation than clarity?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As far as telling if a peson uses more of a perceiving or judging function, well, that will have to determined some other way. But does it even really matter? We perceive, we judge. Those two are the ying/yang of who we are. Is it really accurate to put one first?

Apparently in the eyes of the theorists, there are definable distinctions between those who prioritize perceiving over judging or vice versa. *shrug* Otherwise the distinction would be dropped, because it would signify nothing.

(And I am inclined to note such distinctions. There seems to be a difference in whether we judge inwardly and perceive outwardly, vs the inverse.)

So yes, I guess it does matter... but not as much as world poverty or space exploration.

All that being said, "textbook" MBTI is really only ever found in a textbook; in real life, there's a lot of variance.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
We perceive, we judge. Those two are the ying/yang of who we are. Is it really accurate to put one first?

i would love to think that everyone can do both and there is no way i would abandon my own J when it comes to understanding things, but experience show that some people do a very good job at excluding as much as possible of the capabilities of their secondary functions and the resulting informations. it begins with behavior and even i exclude Fe and Te from most of my live time, being alone with myself, just staring at the void, at my vision of unification. but the exclusion goes on to affect the mind of some people. they have plenty of attitudes that serve to exclude their secondary functions from their views.

it's important to keep in mind that not all perceivers or judgers are the same, and when they are radicalized and exclude their secondary, the results will be different. Ne people who abandon Ti into their shadow have not much in common with Ni people who abandon Fe into their shadow, albeit both are perceivers who abandon conscious judgement.

and another thing that people don't get:

not consciously using a function means this:
a) not using it is often the result of the activity of another function, albeit it is natural in young people to not use more than one function.
b) not using it means that someone can't adjust it. it does not mean, that someone does not have it.
c) as it is not adjusted sensitively to the current situation, it is the source of most acted out pathology and of prejudice and projection.
d) so the cause of exclusion of a function might be the first function, but the content of any resulting projection or prejudice shows in the quality of what is reported about the products of other functions.

all the unconscious functions throw their contents into the conscious realm and then the conscious function(s) deal with it as they desire.
so introverted people are not cut of from the world, if they are cut of from their secondary function.

there is only one world, by the time cognition comes into play the whole world is allready in our heads and functions are applied to it.

this means for example that Ni-dominance is applied to the products of Fe and Fe is applied to the products of Ni.

cut off Fi people are feeling into the world, especially the world of Se or Ne and Ti.

cut of Ni people are seeking to understand their world via Ni synthesis which is applied to their world which is consisting of a lot of Fe or Te and Se products and less frequently the products of other functions.

early in development they cant fine tune the production of the other functions, they have to accept them or they can become suspicious and avoid any responsiveness to their inner (their only) world, which creates radical introversion.

when they interact with the world, the behavior is habitual and out of control, regulated by the shadow. perfectly normal behavior for a lot of self-confident people. in america it is considered to be a problem, if someone is "self-conscious". if your shadow functions produce content without corrupting it, you can be poplular and just be "yourself" and have a very active social life. also introverted kids are very much interacting with their parents without being self-conscious. every introverted person remembers this pain from kindergarden in their bones about being judged for a behavior that is out of their control and that they are not even identified with. i mean being judged for how they deal with the worldspace of extroverted functions. of course extroverted people get judged for unconscious things too. like maybe enfp for Fe violations.

conscious functions add the ability to fine tune consciously. of course this is bound to getting to know and understand the function, and also helps to understand that function in others.

extroverted functions need not be conscious in order to give information and also not to create interaction with the world.

only sensitivity and honesty and care and doublechecking and differenciating perceptions or feelings or thoughts from projections and so on requires conscious access to the functions. also theory of mind. if your mother is a mad ENFj and you are Ti with an Fe shadow, you can respond to your mother perfectly, but you have no idea why she is that way.

being a perceiver means to be sensitive and actively involved in fine tuning perception or in the case of extroverted perception it means being sensitive about interaction and response. once you have developed a lot of functions, you can be sensitive about both P and J. but a tendency to retract from the complexity will remain. in the lazy mood, one will continue to use the objects of secondary and further functions that have been fine tuned in the past, but without double checking them. this is classical predjudice. the objects of perception are very poor in dominant judgers, and while they will occasionally have enough mental space to refine them, they will not do so on every occasion. this leads to a well thought theoretical word without much reality in it. the concepts of perceives are very poor in dominant perceives and while they will occasionally have enough mental space to refine them or learn new ones they will usually repeat what has been achieved in the past. the introverted dominant perceiver can only accept new concepts that are suited to match the collected products of the synthesis of introverted perception. the introverted dominant thinker will only accept new perceptions if they are helping with the current project of introverted thinking. the extroverted perceive will only accept concepts that are useful for manipulation/interaction. the extroverted dominant judgers will only accept new insights that can be "accepted" by the priorities of extroverted judgement. if any of those are smart, they will redraw from interaction with the world, so they have time to become conscious of secondary and further functions and to fine tune their shaping. discussions are never helpful because then the focus will go back to the strongest functions and only one will used sensitively..

so Ne seeks to be opportunistic and to manipulate and Ti seeks to be honest or incorruptibly, but if Ti is cut off, then Ne is manipulating using it's intuitive access of random spontaneous Ti, without being able to fine tune it. so Ti is only throwing the same old concepts into the mix of Ne, whichever can be used for the goal of Ne. so the subjectivity of Ne is shaped by all those prejudices and Ne is playing football with them, like there is nothing new in the world and they know how to deal with everything. nothing incurruptible about that. so NeTi is opportunistic and TiNe is incorruptibly stubborn. TiNe is totally J. if you are truly Ti you may make a lot of conscious effort to use Ne when you research something, but when you are put into your archetypal function of action, which is that of a director then you are the most stubborn dog. when the Ne person is thrown into a function they go wild.

none of my opinions are related to myself. i might as well be nonexistent. infact the notion that i am a insane fata morgana was the first thesis of my exploration of typology. as a kid i fell from a table and from a tree and from a 2nd floor window and i must not be an example for any type. all of this is observation of other people. i might very well find out that i am ENFj, ESTp, INTj, INFj, ENFP and this would affect nothing of what i have to say (except that one has to be conscious of functions to understand them in other people, which was probably over the top, but its true if we talk about very deep understanding). to know myself in terms of typology i must first know typology and to know typology (and validate it) i must first understand ALL people, then see if its possible to fine tune typology so that it matches all of my understanding of people. and this is a work in progress and i take no short cuts. i am not in a hurry. understanding the world of the human condition is supposed to take a lifetime and then some. however disapproving of mbti is possible in this stage of my work. this does not prove socionics to be right at all. its not even clear if its valid to talk of cognitive functions like they are entities. and most of what is say is not considered by myself to be the truth, it is only true enough, in comparison to contradicting concepts that have been disproved. since my mind is firmly seated in vision i am not afraid to abandon the literal aspects of theories, the concrete T stuff, but language forces me to become concrete to say anything at all.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Re: OP- so in leyman's terms (for those of us who ahven't read The Phenomenology of the Spirit and aren't well-acquainted with Kantian subjectivism), the theory goes:

Ni intuitively percieives the essence of a thing or situation, while Ti logically deconstructs a thing or situation, while Ne intuitively percieves the the connections between things and situations, while Te rationally organizes connections between things and situations?

Now to be fair, I'm not a fan of subjectivist/idealist/"phenomenological" philosophy, but to give Charlie Jung his credit, his was the only description of the functions that was clear enough for me to actually understand the above (despite various noble attempts by others to explain it to me in their own words). Big up Carl J!

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nanook: I am seriously intimidated to enter this thread. I usually wouldn't touch a thread teeming with so many ntps with a 10 ft pole, but you resonate so strongly with me that I must speak out. I have been grapplng for quite a while myself (ever since I discovered mbti, jung, typology, etc) to reconcile these theories with what I observe in people I know, predominantly family, but friends too.

I'm not going to try and skewer you, but I just want to point out that while you have a point about people sometimes using the supposed non-preferred function attitudes, I think you can see through observation that everyone prefers one type of attitude over the other.

That wasn't exactly nanook's point; he was saying that introverts shouldn't be labeled P or J according to the orientation of their secondary attitude. He didn't say much about shadow functions in that post.

Could I possibly hear some examples of this frequent use of both orientations of each function in everyone you know? If you're INFJ it seems very strange that you'd have Ne and Ni in equal proportions. How does that work, exactly? Not to be insulting, but I suspect this may have to do with errors in functional interpretation.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
...wouldn't an Introverted Intuition-dominant INTP be an INTJ?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
...wouldn't an Introverted Intuition-dominant INTP be an INTJ?

They're arguing that the labeling shouldn't be done that way because it puts a "Judging" label on introverts who are dominant in a Perceiving function and vice versa.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not going to try and skewer you, but I just want to point out that while you have a point about people sometimes using the supposed non-preferred function attitudes, I think you can see through observation that everyone prefers one type of attitude over the other.

That wasn't exactly nanook's point; he was saying that introverts shouldn't be labeled P or J according to the orientation of their secondary attitude. He didn't say much about shadow functions in that post.

Could I possibly hear some examples of this frequent use of both orientations of each function in everyone you know? If you're INFJ it seems very strange that you'd have Ne and Ni in equal proportions. How does that work, exactly? Not to be insulting, but I suspect this may have to do with errors in functional interpretation.

What bothers me most about current function theory, as I understand it, is that there is an all or nothingness about using N or S or T or F. I simply find that people use both N/S or T/F oftentimes; the proportion depends on how much they've inherited or nurtured in their lifetimes. The next most bothersome thing for me is that assumption that attitudes alternate neatly, yes.

An INTJ who has 100%T is going to look quite different from an INTJ who is 60% T and 40% F. If he is then 55/45 N/S, the situation could arise where his T is used more comfortably than his N, which, by function theory would make him more INTP, than INTJ, yet Ni and Ne are nothing alike. If we continue to ignore the use of all functions in many people, or their preference for certain attitudes of those functions, we will miss the primary seeds needed for growth and cultivation of better, more applicable personality theories; forever enticing us to use folk typology. :)

I want to see a function theory mesh with archetypes more neatly than they do now. That's all. I'm not sure how to go about it though. If another function is added and the J/P is taken off, it allows for more description, yet that takes you further from understanding a pattern, or an archetype. So you know the individual better, but it puts you further away from developing an algorithm, which is the goal.

Thanks for being gentle with me. That was quite pleasant, really. ;)

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
What bothers me most about current function theory, as I understand it, is that there is an all or nothingness about using N or S or T or F. I simply find that people use both N/S or T/F oftentimes

All types have N, S, T & F in their top four functions. The all-or-nothing aspect of MBTI typing isn't really all-or-nothing, it's "given a free and comfortable choice, which function would you prefer to use to judge and which to perceive?" MBTT and Jungian theory, as I understand it, takes it for granted that such preference exists, it persists, and it founds a personality. It describes how the person prefers to be, and they grow into expressing it fully and comfortably, acquiring the benefits of specialisation. Put the person in a psychically uncomfortable or compellingly different environment, and they'll cast about for ways to deal. But even without psychic discomfort, any person will use N, S, T and F in their daily lives, and they'll have distinct preferences for how much and in what orientation.

In the context of that theory, talking about someone who is x% T and y% F, that is, talking about someone who may genuinely during the day switch a letter in their 4-letter code, is talking about someone who hasn't specialised their cognitive workings. The basic structure of their personality is weak and likely under-developed. On the inside, they're not a real person.

However, if what you're seeing is, say, an INTJ sometimes using, say, N in a particular orientation, namely Ni, and sometimes using, say, S in a particular orientation, namely Se, and it sometimes seems you can put a percentage on how much, like say 80% Ni and 20% Se, and so on for the other functions, then you're seeing a normal INTJ.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
i would love to think that everyone can do both and there is no way i would abandon my own J when it comes to understanding things, but experience show that some people do a very good job at excluding as much as possible of the capabilities of their secondary functions and the resulting informations. it begins with behavior and even i exclude Fe and Te from most of my live time, being alone with myself, just staring at the void, at my vision of unification. but the exclusion goes on to affect the mind of some people. they have plenty of attitudes that serve to exclude their secondary functions from their views.

it's important to keep in mind that not all perceivers or judgers are the same, and when they are radicalized and exclude their secondary, the results will be different. Ne people who abandon Ti into their shadow have not much in common with Ni people who abandon Fe into their shadow, albeit both are perceivers who abandon conscious judgement.

and another thing that people don't get:

not consciously using a function means this:
a) not using it is often the result of the activity of another function, albeit it is natural in young people to not use more than one function.
b) not using it means that someone can't adjust it. it does not mean, that someone does not have it.
c) as it is not adjusted sensitively to the current situation, it is the source of most acted out pathology and of prejudice and projection.
d) so the cause of exclusion of a function might be the first function, but the content of any resulting projection or prejudice shows in the quality of what is reported about the products of other functions.

all the unconscious functions throw their contents into the conscious realm and then the conscious function(s) deal with it as they desire.
so introverted people are not cut of from the world, if they are cut of from their secondary function.

there is only one world, by the time cognition comes into play the whole world is allready in our heads and functions are applied to it.

this means for example that Ni-dominance is applied to the products of Fe and Fe is applied to the products of Ni.

cut off Fi people are feeling into the world, especially the world of Se or Ne and Ti.

cut of Ni people are seeking to understand their world via Ni synthesis which is applied to their world which is consisting of a lot of Fe or Te and Se products and less frequently the products of other functions.

early in development they cant fine tune the production of the other functions, they have to accept them or they can become suspicious and avoid any responsiveness to their inner (their only) world, which creates radical introversion.

when they interact with the world, the behavior is habitual and out of control, regulated by the shadow. perfectly normal behavior for a lot of self-confident people. in america it is considered to be a problem, if someone is "self-conscious". if your shadow functions produce content without corrupting it, you can be poplular and just be "yourself" and have a very active social life. also introverted kids are very much interacting with their parents without being self-conscious. every introverted person remembers this pain from kindergarden in their bones about being judged for a behavior that is out of their control and that they are not even identified with. i mean being judged for how they deal with the worldspace of extroverted functions. of course extroverted people get judged for unconscious things too. like maybe enfp for Fe violations.

conscious functions add the ability to fine tune consciously. of course this is bound to getting to know and understand the function, and also helps to understand that function in others.

extroverted functions need not be conscious in order to give information and also not to create interaction with the world.

only sensitivity and honesty and care and doublechecking and differenciating perceptions or feelings or thoughts from projections and so on requires conscious access to the functions. also theory of mind. if your mother is a mad ENFj and you are Ti with an Fe shadow, you can respond to your mother perfectly, but you have no idea why she is that way.

being a perceiver means to be sensitive and actively involved in fine tuning perception or in the case of extroverted perception it means being sensitive about interaction and response. once you have developed a lot of functions, you can be sensitive about both P and J. but a tendency to retract from the complexity will remain. in the lazy mood, one will continue to use the objects of secondary and further functions that have been fine tuned in the past, but without double checking them. this is classical predjudice. the objects of perception are very poor in dominant judgers, and while they will occasionally have enough mental space to refine them, they will not do so on every occasion. this leads to a well thought theoretical word without much reality in it. the concepts of perceives are very poor in dominant perceives and while they will occasionally have enough mental space to refine them or learn new ones they will usually repeat what has been achieved in the past. the introverted dominant perceiver can only accept new concepts that are suited to match the collected products of the synthesis of introverted perception. the introverted dominant thinker will only accept new perceptions if they are helping with the current project of introverted thinking. the extroverted perceive will only accept concepts that are useful for manipulation/interaction. the extroverted dominant judgers will only accept new insights that can be "accepted" by the priorities of extroverted judgement. if any of those are smart, they will redraw from interaction with the world, so they have time to become conscious of secondary and further functions and to fine tune their shaping. discussions are never helpful because then the focus will go back to the strongest functions and only one will used sensitively..

so Ne seeks to be opportunistic and to manipulate and Ti seeks to be honest or incorruptibly, but if Ti is cut off, then Ne is manipulating using it's intuitive access of random spontaneous Ti, without being able to fine tune it. so Ti is only throwing the same old concepts into the mix of Ne, whichever can be used for the goal of Ne. so the subjectivity of Ne is shaped by all those prejudices and Ne is playing football with them, like there is nothing new in the world and they know how to deal with everything. nothing incurruptible about that. so NeTi is opportunistic and TiNe is incorruptibly stubborn. TiNe is totally J. if you are truly Ti you may make a lot of conscious effort to use Ne when you research something, but when you are put into your archetypal function of action, which is that of a director then you are the most stubborn dog. when the Ne person is thrown into a function they go wild.

none of my opinions are related to myself. i might as well be nonexistent. infact the notion that i am a insane fata morgana was the first thesis of my exploration of typology. as a kid i fell from a table and from a tree and from a 2nd floor window and i must not be an example for any type. all of this is observation of other people. i might very well find out that i am ENFj, ESTp, INTj, INFj, ENFP and this would affect nothing of what i have to say (except that one has to be conscious of functions to understand them in other people, which was probably over the top, but its true if we talk about very deep understanding). to know myself in terms of typology i must first know typology and to know typology (and validate it) i must first understand ALL people, then see if its possible to fine tune typology so that it matches all of my understanding of people. and this is a work in progress and i take no short cuts. i am not in a hurry. understanding the world of the human condition is supposed to take a lifetime and then some. however disapproving of mbti is possible in this stage of my work. this does not prove socionics to be right at all. its not even clear if its valid to talk of cognitive functions like they are entities. and most of what is say is not considered by myself to be the truth, it is only true enough, in comparison to contradicting concepts that have been disproved. since my mind is firmly seated in vision i am not afraid to abandon the literal aspects of theories, the concrete T stuff, but language forces me to become concrete to say anything at all.

I love you man. Don't take the Americans so seriously when they are blunt and shoot around with dumb theories. It's their way to handle things but on the inside they are just as dumb as we are.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbPY4sFeU6c"].[/YOUTUBE]

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What bothers me most about current function theory, as I understand it, is that there is an all or nothingness about using N or S or T or F. I simply find that people use both N/S or T/F oftentimes; the proportion depends on how much they've inherited or nurtured in their lifetimes. The next most bothersome thing for me is that assumption that attitudes alternate neatly, yes.

Where did you get the all or nothing idea? That's definitely not the case. Every function theory I'm aware of says that everyone uses all four functions S, N, T and F, and has a preferred orientation for each one. Most theories say you also use the other orientations (the "shadow functions") sometimes, but not as often as your preferred directions.

As for the order of the functions, they only represent a theoretical ideal as to what would make the most balanced people. There are lots of people who do things like relying more on the tertiary than the secondary, so there's no insistence that that particular order is always the case, just that it's an ideal that creates personality balance.

For instance, if our INTJ relies more on Fi than on Te, he probably depends too much on introversion and lacks balance because he doesn't know how to extrovert very effectively. If you rely primarily on two extroverted functions, you depend too much on validation from others/the outer world, but relying primarily on two introverted functions results in too much dependence on subjective values and not enough ability to interact effectively with the external world.

If you depend primarily on two perceiving functions, the result will be indecisiveness and inability to plan and organize effectively. If you rely primarily on two judging functions, you become rigid, stubborn and unable to change and adapt when necessary. These imbalanced personalities absolutely do happen frequently in practice; the theory just says that they'd have better results in life if they had a good balance between introverted/extroverted and perceiving/judging functions.

An INTJ who has 100%T is going to look quite different from an INTJ who is 60% T and 40% F. If he is then 55/45 N/S, the situation could arise where his T is used more comfortably than his N, which, by function theory would make him more INTP, than INTJ, yet Ni and Ne are nothing alike. If we continue to ignore the use of all functions in many people, or their preference for certain attitudes of those functions, we will miss the primary seeds needed for growth and cultivation of better, more applicable personality theories; forever enticing us to use folk typology. :)

I'm kind of curious as to where all this is coming from. Have you read Lenore Thomson or any of the other prominent current authors? An INTJ who is 60/40 on T/F will just use his Te more often and Fi less often than an INTJ who is 55/45 on T/F, and so on.

If his Te is more comfortable than his Ni, then he's ENTJ by definition, not INTP. There's no insistence that he can't use the shadow functions, either, just that he doesn't trust them as much as his preferred directions. Where did you get the idea that functional preferences must be all or nothing?

If you're using SW's definition of folk typology, by the way (since he came up with the term), it refers to any typology that attempts to categorize type based on behavioral observations--which includes Lenore, Berens, Beebe, Myers-Briggs and pretty much any non-Jungian approach.

I want to see a function theory mesh with archetypes more neatly than they do now. That's all. I'm not sure how to go about it though. If another function is added and the J/P is taken off, it allows for more description, yet that takes you further from understanding a pattern, or an archetype. So you know the individual better, but it puts you further away from developing an algorithm, which is the goal.

I suggest you check out Lenore Thomson. You seem to have some ideas about the archetypes that necessitate them being much more strict than they actually are. There is no author that I know of that insists that INTJs never use Feeling; I don't know where you got that.

Most of the popular theories today would describe INTJ as someone who is dominant in Ni, and prefers Ni over Ne, Te over Ti, Fi over Fe and Se over Si--but can still sometimes use the less preferred attitudes.

Most authors also do not insist that the INTJ's secondary/tertiary/inferior functions go precisely in the order Te-Fi-Se in all cases, just that this tends to be the healthiest arrangement that produces the most balanced personality and best results in most life situations for this archetype. Lenore describes in detail what happens to each type when it depends too much on the tertiary/inferior and ignores the secondary--it tends to result in significant imbalance.

You can see lots of people on the forum here who rely primarily on dominant+tertiary and have poorly developed secondary functions. The theory is that they would be more balanced and better off if they improved the secondary, not that their secondary must necessarily always be better than the tertiary/inferior in every person.

Fecal McAngry

If you're using SW's definition of folk typology, by the way (since he came up with the term), it refers to any typology that attempts to categorize type based on behavioral observations--which includes Lenore, Berens, Beebe, Myers-Briggs and pretty much any non-Jungian approach.

What is a non-behavioral approach?

I really don't see this dichotomy as existing, but perhaps I am missing something.

All the Wise Olde Farts of MBTIville seem to be aware of certain factoids: that the tests are imperfect, should be answered as one would behave in an ideal world where outcomes did not matter, that type falsification is one of the most destructive things one can do as a human bean, and that types have certain behavioral characteristics when acting in both healthy and unhealthy ways. Jung certainly described behavioral characteristics as well as psychological metabolisms, as do all past and present writers, so...baby, it's like, all good....