• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Introverted Intuition not Introverted thinking the primary\dominant function of INTPs

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
also i am not at an early stage of development, i am at stage 6 (integral vision logic), so i am almost as much J as I am P. however stages transcend and include their predecessors. P is still my entry point and it is still who i am basically ("my self" rather than "me") as far as i can tell it will always be that way.

Vocab alert -- can you explain this to those of us who are out of the loop?

Just waiting on the demonstration that INTJs are dom Ne.

...You're not gonna get such a demonstration from me.

ObliviousExistence said:
one last thing, to those who proclaim the validity and unshakable foundations of mbti based on the fact that it has been used for years and by thousands of people. Since when did the majority of people believing something is true make it an actuality?

Since when did anyone in this thread argue a point based on that premise?

you mean this, "She identified meditative types, spontaneous types, executive types, and sociable types", lol, please be serious.

Just because someone doesn't classify things the same way that you might doesn't mean it's not a valid attempt at classification. You ever yet figure out that you're just one among many different types of people, and if you want their respect, you need to be prepared to give some in return... or at least TRY to grasp where they're coming from even if you have a different starting opinion?

nanook

a scream in a vortex
my signature (the link in my signature) leads you to a synthesis of the stage models of all the schools of development of human spirit. i am not giving short introductions in my own words to this topic. here is an alternative link

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my signature (the link in my signature) leads you to a synthesis of the stage models of all the schools of development of human spirit. i am not giving short cuts this topic.

Uh, thanks. I didn't even have an idea of where to start.

("We are stupid and we will die" is not much of an intuitive segue into various stages of human development, you know.)

nanook

a scream in a vortex
"We are stupid and we will die" is not much of an intuitive segue
it's the rule. development is a temporary exception :D
my mother has Alzheimer's, reminds me of that.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it's the rule. development is a temporary exception :D
my mother has Alzheimer's, reminds me of that.

okay. ... but you get what I am saying, right? :)

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i understand that my signature is a treasure, hidden on purpose. its my humor and my believe in synchronicity. there is a beautiful innocence in someone accidentally clicking on my signature and finding the wholy grail, maybe just when he was ready to find it.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I think I'm probably being mean attacking these revolutionary ideas this way, but there's such a jumble here and it's frustrating. Just looking over the way the apparent protagonists are writing, it looks like an intellectual grenade was tossed with the purpose of allowing investigation, which would seem to be the very definition of a Ji in operation with the owner intending to either spell out the content of the Ji or to gobble up outside stimulus with a Pe before the smoke cleared. AND IT SEEMS TO ME IT *IS* POSSIBLE TO CHARACTERISE THIS DISCUSSION THAT WAY WITHOUT BEING CIRCULAR! While it's true that (regular) INTJ conspiracy theorists react much as the protagonist here have done, nonetheless [something].

*frantic* must have explanation.

Jung systematised to the level of what would currently be represented by the first three letters, yeah? So for Jung, INTJs and INTPs were both called (something like) introverts with thinking and intuition, yeah? And Izzy invented J/P to allow systematic differentiation of those introverts with intuition and thinking who had intuition as dominant and those that had thinking as dominant, yeah? And what we're seeing in this thread is a reinvention of that classification, which happens to be opposite to Izzy's? We are NOT seeing the suggestion that INTPs have special magical non-systematic access to, *gulp*, my realm? Phew.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
so J-dominant people will always be "Judgers" in all dimensions but that of make-believe. you can not create reality by creating a theory. you just don't realize it, because you have never met reality. as jung points out, you stop at thinking.

I do hope you realize what an arbitrary and meaningless distinction this is. It's just a question of labeling and way you interpret P/J.

If you start from the premise that xxxP must necessarily mean, "One who is dominant in Perceiving", then sure, you're right.

It's always funny to me how socionics advocates will go on and on and on about what a travesty it is that MBTI "mixes up" the P/J digit for introverts, when in reality it's just a very minor discrepancy in the way the types are labeled.

This is really a trivial issue based on labeling preferences...look:

In socionics, P means "leading with a Perceiving function" and J means "leading with a Judging function."

In MBTI, P means "extroverting the Perceiving function" and J means "extroverting the Judging function."

You are judging MBTI labels based on socionics definitions of P/J, so of course it seems like all the introvert P/J labels are backwards to you. You're holding MBTI to a standard it doesn't purport to meet. This system is not incompatible with Jung--the rational types are EJ and IP, and the irrational ones are EP and IJ. It's really that simple.

The advantage in labeling P/J MBTI's way is that types who share the same two primary processes are labelled with the same three last letters.

So if we talk about NFJs, for instance, as a group, we know we are referring to people whose two primary processes are Ni and Fe, regardless of which is dominant over the other. This is not a conceptual difference, but merely an organizational one.

Again it's just a question of how you choose to group and label function combinations--it doesn't change any substantial concepts. Your whole objection rests on the idea that you believe it's ridiculous to refer to someone dominant in introverted perception as a "Judger" or in introverted judgment as a "Perceiver", but this is such a minor issue based on such a trivial labeling discrepancy that it's extraordinary any of you actually care that much. :doh:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I'm probably being mean attacking these revolutionary ideas this way, but there's such a jumble here and it's frustrating. Just looking over the way the apparent protagonists are writing, it looks like an intellectual grenade was tossed with the purpose of allowing investigation, which would seem to be the very definition of a Ji in operation with the owner intending to either spell out the content of the Ji or to gobble up outside stimulus with a Pe before the smoke cleared. AND IT SEEMS TO ME IT *IS* POSSIBLE TO CHARACTERISE THIS DISCUSSION THAT WAY WITHOUT BEING CIRCULAR! While it's true that (regular) INTJ conspiracy theorists react much as the protagonist here have done, nonetheless [something].

I'm still a little lost.

There are, like, two people in this thread who seem to be having these ideas... and pretty solidly all the Ti+Ne people are saying WTF??! So why are you attributing this to us?

Is there an NTP here who is in support of the OP?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ No, because the OP is whining about a trivial labeling discrepancy and pretending it represents a dramatic misunderstanding of Jung's ideas. Ti seems to understand this whereas Ni does not.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
kallach, my opinion is not my own. it's that of jung to begin with. and you know, there are others.
i am only arguing about strait edge logic, dealing with six years ob observation of theory of mind. if that makes me sound ENTj, then i am proud of it. after all i am trans-rational, i should sound rational-inclusive. i am still a perceiver.

what this thread is about: two words: developement, meaning that common people are characterized by their first function and their shadow-peak (like Fe for Ti) more than by their second function. this is my knowledge, not my theory. if you can not see this for your self, you have nothing to judge away this thread nor anything to contribute to it. second word: logic: it is insane to name-call the majority of people by a trait that is not characterizing them at all. if you want to argue with this, have fun - without me.

btw i was an mbti believer for a very long time, i have come a long way or seeking proof. i stood in your place, arguing against the truth, but direct evidence (looking right into people) teached me better.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ No, because the OP is whining about a trivial labeling discrepancy and pretending it represents a dramatic misunderstanding of Jung's ideas. Ti seems to understand this whereas Ni does not.

I'm less apt to ascribe it to a function and more apt to ascribe it to individuals who don't have checks and balances on said functions.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'm still a little lost.

There are, like, two people in this thread who seem to be having these ideas... and pretty solidly all the Ti+Ne people are saying WTF??! So why are you attributing this to us?

Jack Flak ;)

Although all he really did was change Ti into N.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
my opinion is not my own. it's that of jung to begin with. and you know, there are others.
i am only arguing about strait edge logic, dealing with six years ob observation of theory of mind. if that makes me sound ENTj, then i am proud of it. after all i am trans-rational, i should sound rational-inclusive. i am still a perceiver.

what this thread is about: two words: developement, meaning that common people are characterized by their first function and their shadow-peak (like Fe for Ti) more than by their second function. this is my knowledge, not my theory. if you can not see this, you have nothing to judge away this thread nor anything to contribute to this. logic. it is insane to name-call the majority of people by a trait that is not characterizing them. if you want to argue with this, have fun - without me.

Umm...read the MBTI definitions of P/J. In MBTI's terms, it doesn't mean leading with that function; it means extroverting that function. So again, in Jung's terms, rational types are EJ/IP and irrational ones are EP/IJ. There's no erroneous claim being made that people leading with a P function are rational or that people leading with a J function are irrational; it's just the same information sliced up a little differently.

I am not "calling a majority of people by a label that does not characterize them", because the MBTI P/J label has a different meaning from the Socionics one. If you stop assuming P/J to mean "the function you lead with" and just recognize what it means in an MBTI context (the function you extrovert), then this entire problem immediately evaporates.

Jung never actually wrote any four-letter type codes, so he had no opinion on this. You seem to believe that you can determine the most "accurate" system of arbitrary labeling through observation, but you can't, because it's still just arbitrary labeling.

I understand that in your opinion using P/J to mean "the function you lead with" seems more efficient than using it to mean "the function you extrovert", but each method of labeling has its own organizational advantages and disadvantages and there's no inherently or objectively "better" method. You cannot use observation to determine factually which arbitrary labeling method is superior.

In defense of MBTI's labeling method, though--with MBTI the functions line up more evenly with type codes...for instance:
Ne = xNxP
Si = xSxJ
Fe = xxFJ
Ti = xxTP

But how does this work in socionics? When we talk about Ne, we might be referring to ENxp, or we might also mean INxj. The utility in MBTI's labeling is that the functions always line up consistently with the same letters, so we can use terms like "SFPs" as shorthand for "people whose top two functions are Se and Fi."

Socionics is a little more confusing in this regard because "SFp" could refer to an Se+Fi user, or to an Si+Fe user, depending on context. Socionics labeling has its advantages too, since it's easier to understand which type of function is leading, but it also has proportional disadvantages. I suggest you drop the self-righteous assertion that your labeling method is objectively superior, because that's silly.

I'm less apt to ascribe it to a function and more apt to ascribe it to individuals who don't have checks and balances on said functions.

Fair enough.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm still a little lost.

No. By "apparent protagonists" I meant Nanook and Oblivious. There's some Fi rationale for not naming the idea originators specifically, but I have no clear idea of why it suits me to be delicate that way.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
you gonna have to accuse everyone who subscibes to socioncis of having the same type, if you want to blame the arguments of this thread on the subjective fail of a single function. if you have to get personal because you don't understand the topic, you can go and argue with some of the big entps behind socionics. always fun arguing with entps. however arguing will not teach you about the truth. only further observation does. it would be decent to acknowledge this. like: "hey, if I should ever find out, that a huge amount of people are not characterized by their second function because they exclude it rather than integrate it with their dominant function, then i would have to come to the conclusion, that you are right about how its insane (illogical) to associate them with an archetype that is entirely unrelated to what characterizes them"

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
you gonna have to accuse everyone who subscibes to socioncis of having the same type, if you want to blame the arguments of this thread on the subjective fail of a single function. if you have to get personal because you don't understand the topic, you can go and argue with some of the big entps behind socionics. always fun arguing with entps.

I've demonstrated that I very clearly understand the topic, thanks. I don't blame it on the subjective fail of a single function; I just noticed that the factions in this particular thread seem to line up across Ti vs. Ni lines...as Jennifer noted when she asked, "Is there an NTP in this thread who agrees with OP?" I don't actually believe that 100% of Ni users would agree with you or that 100% of Ti users would agree with me. I'm kind of surprised I had to point this out to an Ni dom, honestly--I thought you guys didn't tend to take things literally.

If you read my last post I've described the entire issue in detail and demonstrated a clear understanding of the discrepancy behind this issue, and also its ultimate triviality.

If you want to use P/J to mean "the function you lead with", that's great and I'm not telling you you're wrong; the only thing I'm telling you is that your method is not somehow objectively superior to using P/J to mean "the function you extrovert" instead. Just two different ways of describing the same idea, nothing more.

however arguing will not teach you about the truth. only further observation does.

Yes, and I observe that you're making a huge deal out of nothing just to support your arbitrary assumption that P/J must refer to the leading function instead of the extroverted one. The system works just as well either way; you just have to understand what P/J means in each context.

btw i was an mbti believer for a very long time, i have come a long way or seeking proof. i stood in your place, arguing against the truth, but direct evidence (looking right into people) teached me better.

For the 26th time, it's just a labeling discrepancy. There's no "direct evidence" that P/J as a description of the leading function is "better" than P/J as a description of the extroverted function. I directly observe that Ni dominant people are dominant in a perceiving function the same way you do; I just choose to label them IN_J instead of IN_p because I'm using P/J to refer to the extroverted function instead of the leading one. This is really not that hard; I don't understand your rambling about the "truth" of your choice in labeling systems.

MBTI's P/J dimension refers only to how one deals with the external world, NOT to which function is dominant.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
you gonna have to accuse everyone who subscibes to socioncis of having the same type, if you want to blame the arguments of this thread on the subjective fail of a single function. if you have to get personal because you don't understand the topic, you can go and argue with some of the big entps behind socionics. always fun arguing with entps. however arguing will not teach you about the truth. only further observation does.

Pe.

And Pe way higher in the function order than anything T, to boot.

Now if you'd said, only further reflection, then you'd be in i territory.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
you have no idea what Ni does. synthesis, remember?

also i might be estp, its 100 percent irrelevant to the topic
its objective truth that you can not find out the truth behind typology, without making observation your primary goal.
its unscientific, pre-rational not to do so. knowing this, does not "make" me any type.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
you have no idea what Ni does. synthesis, remember?

That's cool and all, but this discussion is about the way the types are labeled. By calling Ni dominant people "J types", I am not implying that they lead with a Judging function; I'm simply implying that the Judging function is their preferred method of dealing with the external world.

Whether or not I know anything about Ni (which I do, btw) is irrelevant to the topic at hand.