• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Introverted Intuition not Introverted thinking the primary\dominant function of INTPs

ObliviousExistence

MBTI Type
loco
Enneagram
5W4
this has nothing to do with socionics. I am also assuming that Isabel Myerrs understanding of dominant cognitive functions is based on Jungs "most differentiated" function-types. I have made a few assumptions, I'm just putting it out there with all the data for people to make up their own mind on the matter. The point is to promote awareness, encourage discussion on compare conclusions and opinions on this by going straight to the source(Jung).

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
this has nothing to do with socionics. I am also assuming that Isabel Myerrs understanding of dominant cognitive functions is based on Jungs "most differentiated" function-types. I have made a few assumptions, I'm just putting it out there with all the data for people to make up their own mind on the matter. The point is to promote awareness, encourage discussion on compare conclusions and opinions on this by going straight to the source(Jung).

what else are you trying to say except this?

difference between Socionics & Mbti in that the first assigns J/P to dominant, while MBTI assigns it to the extroverted function (which for introverts is the secondary).

or are you just saying that mbti j/p thing is wrong because jung did this differently and did it first?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
your jung intp/mbti intj right? you sound just like my friend who (im pretty sure) is an (mbti)intj. he never gets to the point and i always need to force him to say the obvious, hes always rambling about something he tries to say but is unable to say the point of what hes saying

purplesunset

Enneagram
4w5
Well, INTP's having Ni as their dominant function would most certainly help me make sense of my situation.

Introverted intuition is my dominant function and I test as INTJ and INTP the most.

Most of my closest friends,and the people I most easily befriend have been INTP's, so I do get along with them in real life.

My function use in descending order is as follows:

Ni
Ne=Te
Fi
Ti

I use all of these with almost equal frequency because of how context dependent they are.

I'm awkward with Fe, and barely if ever use Se.

According to that, I don't fit into any MBTI type.

I haven't been able to find out how they came up with the list of functions that they assign to the various types. Like how INFP's are Fi Ne Si Te. It seems a bit too narrow or downright arbitrary to me.

What is to say that there can't be INFP's who use Ne more often than Fi?

If someone could explain how they came up with the functions list for the various types in a way that makes rational sense, I would be very grateful for the lesson.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This sounds like it's up socionic's alley, you probably won't get positive results because of the INTPs here's Si and it not lining up with what they know.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
By what definition of Introverted Intuition? If it is that really long one you posted, can it be summed up in a paragraph or less?

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
I wonder why speculative pseudo science needs to be this elaborate.

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
OP:

Since you asked for opinions, here's mine: You're probably an inexperienced, under-developed, egoistic and self-absorbed individual who has a lot of growing up to do. Don't say you're going to say something- say it. Having an audience is a privilege- they owe you nothing. The earlier you learn this lesson, the better.

Also, bear in mind that reading large chunks of text is worthless if you do not absorb and process the information presented before you. You're wasting your time, and ours. Do something about it.

ObliviousExistence

MBTI Type
loco
Enneagram
5W4
OP:

Since you asked for opinions, here's mine: You're probably an inexperienced, under-developed, egoistic and self-absorbed individual who has a lot of growing up to do. Don't say you're going to say something- say it. Having an audience is a privilege- they owe you nothing. The earlier you learn this lesson, the better.

Also, bear in mind that reading large chunks of text is worthless if you do not absorb and process the information presented before you. You're wasting your time, and ours. Do something about it.

Dear Visa is A Hero from Singapore,

You sound a lot like a well trained parrot and I am sure your parents must just love you.

So, according to you, I am a inexperienced, under-developed, egoistic and self-absorbed individual, what do you know about me? nothing. I think you assume that everyone shares your local values and point of view, I'm sorry to disappoint you.

When I asked for opinions, I was asking for opinions on the subject at hand not your unfounded presumptuous shallow assumptions of my character.

Why do you assume I have not actually absorbed and processed what I read? Have you read the extracts I quoted? I'm guessing not, not that you would be able to understand any of it anyway.

Having an audience is a privilage? fur real? they owe you nothing? fur real? You see my young Visa is an Attention Whore Hero, unlike you, I don't care for attention, in fact, if no one even replied to this, it would not bother me, not in the slightest.

No offense, but you sound like a little kid throwing around a lot of big words you barely comprehend and how could you.

Now, if you have nothing to say regarding the actual topic please stop wasting my time "Visa is A Hero" from Singakpore.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
actually the significant point - significant from a standpoint that is only concerned with logic (which should be comprehensible for people who habitually stop at logic) - can be summed up, in fact cited, in only two lines.

i can sum it up in one word: development.

ObliviousExistence

MBTI Type
loco
Enneagram
5W4
I will update this thread later during the day with a detailed elaboration of why I think Introverted Intuition and not Introverted Thinking is the most differentiated function that best correlates with the INTP type.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
SOME "INTP" who subscribe to the MBTI meme are correct about being "perceivers" AND they are correct about not beeing Ni types. they are either ISTp (not Ni but SiTe) or ENTp (not Ni but Ti&Ne). keep that in mind when arguing with people who call out bullshit on the notion of this thread and carl jung, without even reading or without thinking twice. a lot of people identify with INTP, not because of test results, [meaning not because of alignement with the 4 letter dichotomy, in this case with the the P-archetpye], but because of something they have read and what they have read was written by authors who believed that INTP are rooted in Ti so they tried to make Ti sound like its some kind of P-ish thing, meaning they described something that is like a mixture of a shy entp (they exist) and a psychotic (unstructured) INTj(TiNe). their writings are not rooted in observations of people who align with the P-archetype. observation is far too much work and does not pay back quick money, fame or power. instead they constructed virutal types (INTP profiles) from logical building blocks and tweaked the wordings until the contradictions are hidden underneath. needless to say, there is no aspect of development in their constructs, because no amount of bending words could justify the mbti function order once they had to deal with that.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
SOME INTP who subscribe to the MBTI meme are correct about being "perceivers" AND they are correct about not beeing Ni types. they are either ISTp (not Ni but SiTe) or ENTp (not Ni but Ti&Ne). keep that in mind when arguing with people who call out bullshit on the notion of this thread and carl jung, without even reading or without thinking twice. a lot of people identify with INTP, not because of test results, [meaning not because of alignement with the 4 letter dichotomy, in this case with the the P-archetpye], but because of something they have read and what they have read was written by authors who believed that INTP are rooted in Ti so they tried to make Ti sound like its some kind of P-ish thing, meaning they described a mixture of a shy entp (they exist) and a psychotic INTj(Ti). their writings are not rooted in observations of people who align with the P-archetype. observation is far too much work and does not pay back quick money and fame. instead they constructed virutal types (INTP profiles) from logical building blocks and tweaked the wordings until the nonsense is hidden underneath. needless to say, there is no aspect of development in their constructs.

+1000000000000

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
SOME "INTP" who subscribe to the MBTI meme are correct about being "perceivers" AND they are correct about not beeing Ni types. they are either ISTp (not Ni but SiTe) or ENTp (not Ni but Ti&Ne). keep that in mind when arguing with people who call out bullshit on the notion of this thread and carl jung, without even reading or without thinking twice. a lot of people identify with INTP, not because of test results, [meaning not because of alignement with the 4 letter dichotomy, in this case with the the P-archetpye], but because of something they have read and what they have read was written by authors who believed that INTP are rooted in Ti so they tried to make Ti sound like its some kind of P-ish thing, meaning they described something that is like a mixture of a shy entp (they exist) and a psychotic (unstructured) INTj(TiNe). their writings are not rooted in observations of people who align with the P-archetype. observation is far too much work and does not pay back quick money, fame or power. instead they constructed virutal types (INTP profiles) from logical building blocks and tweaked the wordings until the contradictions are hidden underneath. needless to say, there is no aspect of development in their constructs, because no amount of bending words could justify the mbti function order once they had to deal with that.

Not really. Defining a perceiver as someone who uses an extraverted perceiving function makes perfect logical sense. As does defining a perceiver as one who uses a perceiving function dominantly. Both of these make perfect sense within their own systems.

Socionics does stay more true to Jung in this regard, and I'm not sure how Myers/Briggs came up with their differentiation but I'd say it works just fine. INTPs, INTjs, LIIs, Ti doms, whatever you want to call them, are still going to identify with a logical, systematizing, rational nature regardless of what you're going to call them.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
and how does it make perfect sense to call someone judger who does not use a judging function?
(meaning a perceiver who stops at perception, cause he hasn't developed past it. Ni-Dom)
that's where observation (of development) comes into play.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
and how does it make perfect sense to call someone judger who does not use a judging function?
(meaning a perceiver who stops at perception, cause he hasn't developed past it. Ni-Dom)

He engages the world through judgment, thus he is a judger in MBTI. His dominant cognitive tendency is perception, thus he is irrational in socionics/jung.

The difference is how the world in engaged vs. the dominant unconscious tendency. I'm not really sure what you mean in parenthesis. Doesn't use a judging function? Of course they do. I don't think people just have one function, even when they're young.