User Tag List

First 678

Results 71 to 80 of 80

Thread: Prove yourself

  1. #71
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNoLimits View Post
    If I have any "beef" on the topic of intellectuality is that I dislike the notion that athletic types are stupid or meatheaded, but the reason I made this is because I genuinely like to see people develop for the better and I just can't seem to keep my mouth shut about some of my observations. Please don't take it personally, even if my wording is uncouth... that is just how I speak.
    Why do NTs disregard a lot of this crap? Because they generally got a lot of shit from meatheaded SPs (not necessarily you) growing up. No one likes that.

    The end.

  2. #72
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNoLimits View Post
    I was referring to SolitaryWalker. Why do you think it was negative? He is a good example, no? Do you think this is about me putting down NTs?
    I agree he is a good example, but so am I sometimes. Not as good as him since, as an extrovert, I'm a little more connected to the real world, but yeah, it's still there.

    Anyway your first post in thread was full of NT bashing and didn't seem to have much useful content. The ones you've made since then have been better.

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNoLimits View Post
    If you want to know where I'm speaking from, my best friend of 10 years is a quintessential INTP and most of my friends besides him have been NTs since we get along well. I've worked closely with INTx for the last 3 years and spending time on the internet I've seen a fair bit of writing done by NTs here and elsewhere.

    If I have any "beef" on the topic of intellectuality is that I dislike the notion that athletic types are stupid or meatheaded, but the reason I made this is because I genuinely like to see people develop for the better and I just can't seem to keep my mouth shut about some of my observations. Please don't take it personally, even if my wording is uncouth... that is just how I speak.
    Well, many of us don't believe that about athletic types. I don't think you're being uncouth so much as inaccurate.

    Some of your descriptions ring true with some NTs, but again, it's really mostly NTPs that you're referring to. Leave the NTJs out of this; they're totally different animals.


    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNoLimits View Post
    Of course not, that would be ridiculous claim to make. I am actually saying the opposite... because NTs are able to grasp abstractions they are usually quite accurate in speech, which I think is also why this paradoxical behavior develops. The most intellectually capable NTs tend to steer towards disaster if they do not retain a respect for concrete senses and emotional factors.
    That's interesting, because you claimed both of those things:

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNoLimits View Post
    They start to replace their accurate (albeit humble) knowledge for lofty theories
    Why exactly does thinking about lofty theories induce loss of accurate knowledge?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNoLimits View Post
    I don't really care how you define success, but attempting to do so in a concrete manner is the first step towards overcoming the vicious cycle of intellectual masturbation and the ignorance it induces.
    Why the assumption that most NTs haven't attempted to define success in any concrete manner? Maybe they consider themselves successful because their criteria for success are different from yours.

    Anyway, you do have a point in that NTs should try to pay more attention to their S and F functions. That's kind of the whole point of typology--every type is supposed to try and pay more attention to the merit in its weaker functions. You could try considering the value of iNtuition a little bit more than you have, for instance.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  3. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Why exactly does thinking about lofty theories induce loss of accurate knowledge?

    Why the assumption that most NTs haven't attempted to define success in any concrete manner? Maybe they consider themselves successful because their criteria for success are different from yours.

    Anyway, you do have a point in that NTs should try to pay more attention to their S and F functions. That's kind of the whole point of typology--every type is supposed to try and pay more attention to the merit in its weaker functions. You could try considering the value of iNtuition a little bit more than you have, for instance.
    I meant the NT's student who tries to emulate the NT and end up coming up with retarded theories beyond their own capability. sort of like my theory here, which apparently needs some work.

    and I know some of these statements are not entirely true, like what is success? i cant say, but this isn't about me even if im the one throwing gasoline on the discussion.

  4. #74
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Well, you've done a reasonably decent job of describing a subset of mostly INTPs who are really detached from the world and have no idea how to deal with anything real.

    But you haven't done much to describe the other NT types, really.

    Success is relative to one's own definition of it. Whatever feels fulfilling and creates meaning for you is what makes you successful.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  5. #75
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Well, you've done a reasonably decent job of describing a subset of mostly INTPs who are really detached from the world and have no idea how to deal with anything real.
    Lint is real.

  6. #76
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Lint is real.
    Well, I'm not an INTP, so what's your point?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  7. #77
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Fabric softener, I think.

  8. #78
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,431

    Default


  9. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNoLimits View Post
    lol!





    A lot of you seem to be missing the point of this exercise, which is to emphasize the biggest hurdle in NT personal development--finding what value the real world and emotions has to offer you.

    Because the NT temperament thinks abstractly without concrete or emotional checks and balances, it tends to self-inflict the very state of ignorance it initially sought to avoid. It is those with the deepest desire for truth who will bite into the hook of false knowledge the hardest (SW anyone?) Behind a wall of intellectuality, self-enabling thoughts are allowed to fester and the NT slips further away from the actual truth. As they lose their grasp, pride develops to protect the ego.

    The end result is ironic, especially if the NT sees them self as a pedagogue, as others assume competence is the explanation for the intellectually haughtiness and develop misplaced trust in the false ego. They start to replace their accurate (albeit humble) knowledge for lofty theories (perhaps even mimicking them, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all) and the ignorance spreads. This also serves to bolster the NT confidence and usually sealing their fate.


    I don't really care how you define success, but attempting to do so in a concrete manner is the first step towards overcoming the vicious cycle of intellectual masturbation and the ignorance it induces. By becoming more receptive to their concrete and emotional nature, the NT becomes a more balanced individual overall, ultimately fueling a greater degree of success through their preferred means.
    Why such a negative view of NTs? Maybe the reason alot of people aren't answering is because your not describing them. Seems your boxing in an awful lot of people based on a label that comes nowhere near being a unifying theory.

  10. #80
    Alexander the Terrible yenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNoLimits View Post
    "The only difference between genius and insanity is success"

    Why should the world take the NT intellectual as seriously as they take themselves? Use objective, real-world (sensor) benchmarks.
    This question is so full of ambguity that it is almost impossible to answer.

    All I can say is life is about experimentation and testing the limits.
    When you have an idea, you really want to see how it works in reality.
    I want to bend the rules of reality and play god. I want to see how far I can go. Why would I want to do that you ask?

    Its like asking why create art when you have a blank sheet of paper?
    Life is like drawing a picture in a blank sheet of paper, what choices you make will affect what outcome will occur. Seeing what choices you can make and what can happen in reality is what makes life so fascinating.

    What is insanity, if you define insanity as being delusional and having an overactive imagination, then yes I am insane. We need imagination to make the impossible possible.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

    "In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

    Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

Similar Threads

  1. Admit something silly about yourself
    By Sahara in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 627
    Last Post: 04-17-2011, 04:54 PM
  2. [ENFJ] ENFJ: Talk About Yourself!
    By Usehername in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 167
    Last Post: 03-24-2010, 01:09 AM
  3. Promises for yourself - what do you do to keep them?
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-21-2007, 11:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO