User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: Prove yourself

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Mountain_Rose View Post
    It isn't really a conscious decision. I don't go 'Haha, watch me BS this guy into giving me my way'... I just kind of pull coherent knowledge out of God-knows-where, having somehow understood it or heard it at some point,
    Yeah, this is a lot how I work. Except I will consciously bullshit people, but it's pretty apparent (usually) what I'm doing. If they don't catch it, they'll soon learn to hate me, finding it hard to tell whether or not I'm serious when I say something. But - hey, where would the smoke detector be without fires? And where would the bullshit detector be without lies?

Think of the first person that told a lie; the victims had to be fucked.
    "Poor bastard. Wait 'till he sees the bats. "
    enneagram - 7/5/3

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I don't ever feel like I'm bullshitting someone, unless it's obviously for funs sake and has some jokes, one liners, puns and whatnot in them. But any other time I'm never bullshitting. And if I seem to be bullshitting, then that's the loss of the listener. Because they either didn't get the joke, or don't understand a thing I say.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNoLimits View Post
    "The only difference between genius and insanity is success"

Why should the world take the NT intellectual as seriously as they take themselves? Use objective, real-world (sensor) benchmarks.
    You're asking why Sensors should take NTs as seriously as NTs take themselves?

They shouldn't, and they won't. If they did, they'd be Ns themselves. They naturally evaluate according to S-oriented criteria, so the advantages of being N to them don't seem as good as the advantages of being S.

You're asking for an explanation of the value of NT types in S terms, which is impossible. You've already defined the answer with the way you set up the premise.

If you want to understand the value in NTs, you need to think in NT terms, not insist that we explain ourselves to you in S terms.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Thing is about being an NT is that you know you could be doing a lot more a lot better. I know myself seeing what perfection could be makes me see how I am not there.
    Striving to do better and reach toward perfection doesn't really have anything to do with type. That's not a uniquely NT property.

Your continual insistence on appearing NT is a manifestation of dominant Se's desire to make an impact and gain the respect of others by being a reflection of whatever traits the surrounding culture considers interesting, impressive, and worthy of attention and admiration. On this forum, it's cool to be NT, so Se motivates you to try and appear that way, to a much greater degree than you consciously realize.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Some people say fuck it that isn't what they are about anyway, some people (like myself) just keep working harder or trying to find new ways.
    "Just keep going at it, stay active and keep finding new ways of doing whatever seems to make the biggest impact at the time" = ESTP mantra. (Te, on the other hand, would lead us more toward forming a step-by-step plan and knowing exactly how everything is going to go before we actively engage ourselves.)

Constantly staying active, scanning for and adapting instinctively to new opportunities as they unfold is characteristically ExxP.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Provoker View Post
    The simplest proof I can conjour is as follows. I think. What thinks exists; for to doubt this is itself to think. Therefore, I exist.
    If you want to paraphrase the words of René Descartes, at least give him credit in your post.

MBTI
    entp

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    If you want to paraphrase the words of René Descartes, at least give him credit in your post.
    what if he arrived there on his own...why should he give credit to Descartes then

Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    what if he arrived there on his own...why should he give credit to Descartes then

HAHAHA. Fucking ridiculous.

MBTI
    entp

think you meant

"HA. HA. HA. Fucking Ridiculous"...no?

cuz putting a period after 'HAHAHA' is like giving an crackhead less than half a line of coke

Why so?

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

for one, it's such a famous quote, I doubt it's possible to say you can reach the same conclusion without consciously or unconsciously be influenced by that.

Secondly, it's pretty much in the exact same wording.

This is the one thing I dislike about living in this age. Pretty much everything has already been said at some time by other people. I know I have the ability to offer the world all sorts of quotes that my Ti provides me with, but seem incapable of offering them to the world with my name written on them and honestly say they originated from me and me alone.

But then again, using that as an arguement, René Descartes pretty much directly or indirectly stole the quote anyways.

Still, it's pretty pointless to debate such an insignificant issue.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    Dad?
    lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Na. He need only define success.
    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    They shouldn't, and they won't. If they did, they'd be Ns themselves. They naturally evaluate according to S-oriented criteria, so the advantages of being N to them don't seem as good as the advantages of being S.

You're asking for an explanation of the value of NT types in S terms, which is impossible. You've already defined the answer with the way you set up the premise.

If you want to understand the value in NTs, you need to think in NT terms, not insist that we explain ourselves to you in S terms.
    A lot of you seem to be missing the point of this exercise, which is to emphasize the biggest hurdle in NT personal development--finding what value the real world and emotions has to offer you.

Because the NT temperament thinks abstractly without concrete or emotional checks and balances, it tends to self-inflict the very state of ignorance it initially sought to avoid. It is those with the deepest desire for truth who will bite into the hook of false knowledge the hardest (SW anyone?) Behind a wall of intellectuality, self-enabling thoughts are allowed to fester and the NT slips further away from the actual truth. As they lose their grasp, pride develops to protect the ego.

The end result is ironic, especially if the NT sees them self as a pedagogue, as others assume competence is the explanation for the intellectually haughtiness and develop misplaced trust in the false ego. They start to replace their accurate (albeit humble) knowledge for lofty theories (perhaps even mimicking them, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all) and the ignorance spreads. This also serves to bolster the NT confidence and usually sealing their fate.

I don't really care how you define success, but attempting to do so in a concrete manner is the first step towards overcoming the vicious cycle of intellectual masturbation and the ignorance it induces. By becoming more receptive to their concrete and emotional nature, the NT becomes a more balanced individual overall, ultimately fueling a greater degree of success through their preferred means.