• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] 7 ENTP job hunting tips

Nigel Tufnel

MBTI Type
ENTP
Just some thoughts I've come up with, feel free to comment or add.

1. Develop a clear goal - we change these frequently, can't accomplish anything without one though, doesn't mean making a lifetime commitment, it's frustrating when people ask me to help them and can't tell me clearly what it is they're looking to do

2. Develop an uncoventional way of obtaining that goal - The SJs succeed by going by the book, which always feels awkward to us, but the SJs will do tomorrow what we do today, and more importantly, we're typically more motivated blazing our own trail than following conventional advice, and the more technology advances, the less traditional methods work

An ENTP friend once found a job by e-mailing an opinion of a business to the company's CFO. It was highly opinionated and easily could've annoyed him as spam and philosophically wrong, but in the process he revealed he knew a ton about his company, which would not have happened if he had just passed along a resume to HR and followed all the rules as prescribed in the job description.

3. Use the ENTP advantage - we will learn more about a topic and communicate that knowledge better than anyone, even when using a resume play with the format so it lets the reader know this, even if it doesn't fit well with keyword scanners and modern tools

4. There are many SFJ human resources people hiring for ENTx executives.

This is why it can be so important to circumvent HR. They know MBTI, but are terrible at applying it. Can't tell you how many times I've seen HR screw up by hiring based on past experiences, not current preferences. HR people are often SFJs, often risk averse, and not likely to reach out to unconventional applicants the finance and marketing executives they work for would gladly hire after an interview.

In my experience, outside headhunters are less like to be SFJ, that business is heavy with ESFPs and ENFJs who want to make a buck and don't care about process as long as they get paid. They are much better allies to an ENTP, but will place you where you don't belong if your goals aren't clear.

5. If your process doesn't work, company might not be a fit anyway

The companies that are least likely to hire someone who doesn't follow a certain process are often the most bureaucratic, which is rarely good for an ENTP.

6. Quantify Your Output - certain number of contacts a day, certain number of calls whatever, we often fall short of the continuous effort needed to find a job, especially in the current market, and in my experience it's easier to stay on track if you measure your output, not your results

if results are not good, then adjust tactics, but don't stop targeting output levels, quantification also makes the process of rejection/no response seem far less personal

7. Repeat the Level of Output, not the Process - even if we have a process we like, we can easily tire after doing it 15-20 times, so mix it up to stay motivated

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I dunno, I'd personally suggest finding something which has multiple branching opportunities and related jobs connected to it; yeu're going to get bored eventually, no matter whot. May as well make it possible to mix it up easily without having to move very far from where yeu're at; enough to keep it interesting without having to retrain all over again.

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Do you guys ever put that you're an "ENTP" in your resume, or do you keep that hidden, or even a subject to talk about later on?

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Time, I may talk about it if it is relevant, mainly at recruitment interviews...

7 career tips:

1. Now when to stop, your career isn't the be all and end all, as an ENTP your weakenss is relationships so spend time making time and energy for it rather than climbing career goals.

2. Understand you have the attention span of a natt and are crap at planning... so think of where you want to be in X years time and where you need to be at key stages between, think about how to get towards each step.

3. Bank the cash, ENTPs often rubish at managing their money, great at making it... understand the wealth is the accumulation of money not just what is in your pocket

4. Challenge your intellect - you need to work on project based work so find something to so that has natrual movement in it.

5. Entrepreneur is often coined with ENTP - but you don't need to make that a reality unless you want too, there are lots of employed ENTPS

6. Don't stay in jobs that don't inspire you, NOTHING more miserable to be around than a down and out ENTP - you spent a lot of time working - make sure you enjoy it or it will drain your energy

7. Buid strong networks, you have social skills, a network is a means of helping you get to where you want to go - but be sure to return favours

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Do you guys ever put that you're an "ENTP" in your resume, or do you keep that hidden, or even a subject to talk about later on?

Why bother? Most people don't know whot it is; providing such information can be useful if that individual knows whot it means, but at the same time, that individual may be actively looking for an SJ because they are thought to be "harder workers" (ie menial labour lacking any vision *cough* ).

To announce such is fruitless, unless asked first. If someone knows of mbti and asks me, I shall let them know. And I shall let them know of enneagram, and of socionics, and of earth air fire and water. I shall explain that such is only a loose guide and provides little out of context.

So why mention it in a resume? Most won't know whot it means, and those that do, it's 50/50 if they'd appreciate it anyway.