• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] The moment you realize there's no dialogue possible

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
between yourself and someone with an entirely different value system.

I want examples!

Here's mine

Talking to a woman about the merits of competition, she is adamantly opposed to it. She presents me a situation from her experiences thinking it an argument against competition: A class of Inuits who refuse to answer questions so as not to demonstrate superiority over their classmates.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Her example seems a good one of why competition is not a "natural law" of human society as many pseudo-philosophers claim.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The example that most readily comes to my mind:

My sister and I both grew up in the Christian church, but I'm very N and she's very S.

Me: I mean, <that particular topic> isn't specifically mentioned anywhere in the Bible!
Her: OH YES IT IS.

(Honestly... it's not... but her doctrine has developed a stance on it based on other concepts that she has chosen to read a certain way ... meaning that she considered it to be 'clear' to her and thus specifically mentioned. To me, it's not specific and it's based on certain assumptions. This happens a lot when I get into religious discussions with people.)

When I get a sharp response that I immediately discern is based on particular assumptions that might or might not be true, I already know that we can't come to an agreement and it's not worth bothering with anymore. Unless the two frameworks can be reconciled, consensus is not possible.

JHBowden

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
murkrow--

I don't value "value systems," because some cultures are objectively superior to other cultures. Inuit culture has yet to produce a Dante, a Galileo, a Michelangelo, or a Brunelleschi. And I'm just comparing them to a single European city.

Usually I let a conversation drop if it looks like there is nothing to be learned from it.

For example, if someone is presented with an objection to a position, and instead of creatively meeting the objection, they just repeat their position, as if asserting a conclusion is the same as justifying it, then it is like, "well, I'm wasting my time."

I do like to talk to people who either know more than I do, and/or are mentally active instead of passive. Intelligence is meeting problems in a fresh, and maybe even risky way, instead of using ideas as some sort of security blanket, burying an entrenched perspective in a cocoon of words.

Qre:us

murkrow--

I don't value "value systems," because some cultures are objectively superior to other cultures. Inuit culture has yet to produce a Dante, a Galileo, a Michelangelo, or a Brunelleschi. And I'm just comparing them to a single European city.

What a load of crap. You should state what this superiority is, in terms of how it relates to cultures, as an universal operational definiton.

And, let's completely ignore this thing called "influence" - that unlike Italy, Inuits up in the far, far, north are much less likely to be exposed to.

So, I'd also like you to outline how you see something as a distinct isolated "culture" (no noise from other "cultures", what the parameters of such a "culture" is), and how this ties into your evaluation.

Her example seems a good one of why competition is not a "natural law" of human society as many pseudo-philosophers claim.

It's not pseudo-philosophy. It's espoused in biology, evolution, sociology, anthropology, psychology, philosophy, and more....

Cooperation and competition are the two driving forces that navigate human motivation, in terms of social interactions. Darwin would be so ashamed of you.

As for the OP:

Like Jennifer said, when the premise from which each of our discussion points originate cannot be comprehended nor acknowledged by the other, or, certain assumptions held by the other are seen as completely irrelevant, and/or ridiculous (illogical, irrational); it's time to stop. Or keep on repeating the same point, over and over.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Like Jennifer said, when the premise from which each of our discussion points originate cannot be comprehended nor acknowledged by the other, or, certain assumptions held by the other are seen as completely irrelevant, and/or ridiculous (illogical, irrational); it's time to stop. Or keep on repeating the same point, over and over.

I think that's basically what happens in US politics.

The two polarized factions cannot agree or acknowledge the initial premises of the other... so during elections it's merely two people screaming out their viewpoint and trying to make the other just look bad, as part of an all-out war for one side to grab power and then use it. Negotiation still occurs, but only because the system is setup in a way that sometimes you just need more support... and then people merely do trade-offs or wrangle tit-for-tat for things.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
It's not pseudo-philosophy. It's espoused in biology, evolution, sociology, anthropology, psychology, philosophy, and more....

Yes it's very easy to just name "sociology", "psychology", "anthropology", "biology"and "philosophy" without saying which thinkers you are talking about. I ahppen to have read Marxists in all of those disciplines though (including biology), who disagree with you.

Darwin would be so ashamed of you.

Really? On what basis?

Really? On what basis?

Sexual selection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes it's very easy to just name "sociology", "psychology", "anthropology", "biology"and "philosophy" without saying which thinkers you are talking about. I ahppen to have read Marxists in all of those disciplines though (including biology), who disagree with you.

It's so apparent and obvious that I didn't think names needed to be said.

But, off the top of my head, any theorists who've written on power (dynamics) would be a good start. Start with Foucault, I like him.

This is also the reason Marxism is an amazing theory/ideal, but, any time it's been practiced, it inevitably does not maintain such ideal.

Welcome to the real world. I don't yet know if we're glad to have you.

I think that's basically what happens in US politics.

The two polarized factions cannot agree or acknowledge the initial premises of the other... so during elections it's merely two people screaming out their viewpoint and trying to make the other just look bad, as part of an all-out war for one side to grab power and then use it. Negotiation still occurs, but only because the system is setup in a way that sometimes you just need more support... and then people merely do trade-offs or wrangle tit-for-tat for things.

Yup, it's like parallel pontificating yet both sides think (want us to think?) it's a discourse.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
For me its usually when someone starts to claim something as "objectively superior", because then you know that person is SO personally and emotionally involved in the issue that they don't even realize that their side is just their opinion.... and really how do you argue with someone who has taken such a stance?

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram

Ah so Darwin would be "so ashamed" of me because I because I said something not 100% in line with one of his theories?

It sounded like you were accusing me of rejecting the theory of evolution or something.

I mean really, you are coming across somewhat hyperbolic.

It's so apparent and obvious that I didn't think names needed to be said.

But, off the top of my head, any theorists who've written on power (dynamics) would be a good start. Start with Foucault, I like him.

This is also the reason Marxism is an amazing theory/ideal, but, any time it's been practiced, it inevitably does not maintain such ideal.

Ah Foucault. Such a precise scientist whose arguments nobody could refute.:laugh: I like the way you patronizingly assume I must never have read him or else I couldn't fail to be in agreement with him.

You could also name Nietzsche, Elias Cannetti, Adam Smith, oh you could even drag out Hobbes or Weber! What fun!

Really though, it's just your opinion against mine, so don't start naming "sociology" and "anthropology" and "biology" as if these fields are in undisputed agreement with you

And when was Marxism practiced, specifically? Marx and Lenin were always clear that communism could only be acheived if there was a revolution int he industrialized western world. But you knew that, obviously, because surely you wouldn't be such a clown as to comment on Marxism without even knowing something as basic as that!

Welcome to the real world. I don't yet know if we're glad to have you.

Oh, you know all about the "real world" because you read Foucault? Give me a break kiddo. Next!

JHBowden

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Qre:us, superiority isn't a matter of definition.

For example, consider military superiority. I could verbally define the Mig-29 as having air superiority over the F-22. But that doesn't make it so.

Don't get lost in the words buddy! Words do not have magical powers.

There's a difference between a culture that can fish and build snow houses, versus one that can do that *and* design and use aircraft, build cathedrals and skyscrapers, make conquests, and create entire literary genres. For someone who likes to talk about definitions and power, you're ignorant of the basic definition of power-- the capability of doing or accomplishing something.

In the meantime, let me know when the Inuits make it to the moon.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
In the meantime, let me know when the Inuits make it to the moon.

Let me know when the Inuits drop nuclear bombs on two cities or wipe out an indigenous population...:headphne:

JHBowden

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Let me know when the Inuits drop nuclear bombs on two cities or wipe out an indigenous population.
To the victor belong the spoils!

:devil:

Jaguar

For me its usually when someone starts to claim something as "objectively superior", because then you know that person is SO personally and emotionally involved in the issue that they don't even realize that their side is just their opinion.... and really how do you argue with someone who has taken such a stance?

Someone once said to me:

"We are the superior race, and we must endure."

He wasn't referring to black or white.
He was referring to his religion as an actual race.

sleepy

phuuu

I read this at first as;
The moment you realize there's no diagnose possible

JHBowden

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
So wait, are you actually justifying the massacre of the Native Americans there?
I could justify it. I could also make the Aztecs, the Iroquois, and the Apaches look like noble savages.

But justification has nothing to do with who wins and loses on the stage of history. The problem with moral relativists, is that their thought is never relative to anything out there in the world, just relative to their warm and fluffy feelings.

Ah so Darwin would be "so ashamed" of me because I because I said something not 100% in line with one of his theories?

It sounded like you were accusing me of rejecting the theory of evolution or something.

I mean really, you are coming across somewhat hyperbolic.

Maybe you should stop reading more into shit than is said? I told you why Darwin would be ashamed of you (a joke, btw), you asked why, I gave a reason why.

You're reading way more shit into it than was stated (I think cuz you don't know how to refute this point):

- agree with him 100% ????
- rejecting the theory of evolution ????

^ where are you getting such bullshit from that one line I said? Hyperbolic, you, stop it.

Ah Foucault. Such a precise scientist whose arguments nobody could refute.:laugh: I like the way you patronizingly assume I must never have read him or else I couldn't fail to be in agreement with him.

You could also name Nietzsche, Elias Cannetti, Adam Smith, oh you could even drag out Hobbes or Weber! What fun!

You know what, let's hear you out......why isn't competition a "natural law"? Let's hear your arguments.

Remember, not how we can work as a society to make it without competition. (no pseudo-philosophizing)

You're gonna have to prove how competition is not (and has not been) inherent in human beings and society. I.e., not a "natural law"

Really though, it's just your opinion against mine, so don't start naming "sociology" and "anthropology" and "biology" as if these fields are in undisputed agreement with you

This is what you've brought the argument down to? My opinion versus yours?
Pathetic. You're grasping at straws.

And when was Marxism practiced, specifically? Marx and Lenin were always clear that communism could only be acheived if there was a revolution int he industrialized western world. But you knew that, obviously, because surely you wouldn't be such a clown as to comment on Marxism without even knowing something as basic as that!

Yes, communism. And, your point doesn't disprove mine. Communism is to be the final step aimed to be achieved by a society. It's a process. Different systems have aimed to get there, aimed to practice it (did they practice it 100% according to "formula"? No, and I never claimed that)....all I claimed was that they failed. And, gave a reason why. It intrinsically negates competition. And, given that competition is one of the two main vehicles of motivation in humans, that's why. And, there's always been someone in "power"/pulling the puppet strings....which is kinda a farce to Marxist theory. And, kinda proves my point.

Qre:us, superiority isn't a matter of definition.

For example, consider military superiority. I could verbally define the Mig-29 as having air superiority over the F-22. But that doesn't make it so.

How anything is NOT a matter of definition, escapes me. Unless you're talking of the subjective realm, in which case, your original wording of "objective" is wrong.

Don't get lost in the words buddy! Words do not have magical powers.

What quack are you talking here?

There's a difference between a culture that can fish and build snow houses, versus one that can do that *and* design and use aircraft, build cathedrals and skyscrapers, make conquests, and create entire literary genres. For someone who likes to talk about definitions and power, you're ignorant of the basic definition of power-- the capability of doing or accomplishing something.

The fact that in such a harsh environment, they've survived for generations without needing such "advances in technology" is pretty awe-inspiring to me. Maybe not to you.

^ that would be subjectivity by the way.

These groups of people have also been approched by Western scientists to gain knowledge of different aspects of science in the Arctic.

I want you to explain to me how your use of the words "objectively superior" and "culture" are valid.

You have failed to do so.

You're pussyfooting around the topic. Answer my points.

You have also failed to explain how you see "culture" as some isolated thing - when you explain that, or try to explain that, it'll make you realize how most of these "accomplishments" came about in human civilization.......through the knowledge transfer and building of knowledge between "cultures" (and their histories)/mixing "cultures" (and their histories), and all other variations in between.

Which, as I said, is kinda hard for those isolated Inuits.

It's like having access to 1 book versus 100 books, of equivalent standing in terms of knowledge. Of course, the latter would produce more fruitful accompliments. Cultures that were all able to influence, be influenced by one another, are like those with 100 books. Aggregated knowledge. Able to build on knowledge - because a rich knowledge base was already available to them.

A fair comparison of superiority would be between 1 book versus 1 book. And, then one coming out with far greater accomplishments. I.e., one isolated culture versus one isolated culture.

Prove that USA, which sent man to the moon, was, and is, an isolated culture, without any peek at others' books of knowledge, then you can claim this "objective superiority".

But justification has nothing to do with who wins and loses on the stage of history. The problem with moral relativists, is that their thought is never relative to anything out there in the world, just relative to their warm and fluffy feelings.

You're so ignorant it hurts to read your comments. It's relative to the world they occupy, it's functional to their environment. Otherwise, they could not have sustained for as long as they did. Not solely on their own "fluffy feelings".