First 2345 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    This thread is a good example of the original topic.
    The humor is not lost.
    Oh be good -- we should all be appreciative they were willing to stake their reputations to offer us a real-time example!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by JHBowden View Post
    murkrow--

I don't value "value systems," because some cultures are objectively superior to other cultures. Inuit culture has yet to produce a Dante, a Galileo, a Michelangelo, or a Brunelleschi. And I'm just comparing them to a single European city.
    Perhaps this has been addressed, but neither Galileo, Dante, or Michelangelo ever demonstrated the ability to survive in wind chills at -70 degrees F and lower, or the ability to take down a whale since there was no capacity to obtain food other ways. I will venture a guess that extreme survival required a kind of community effort in which competing to shine as its brightest star would be the death of all.

Objective superiority takes on a different meaning when it lies rigidly in the distant snow.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by JHBowden View Post
    murkrow--

I don't value "value systems," because some cultures are objectively superior to other cultures. Inuit culture has yet to produce a Dante, a Galileo, a Michelangelo, or a Brunelleschi. And I'm just comparing them to a single European city.

Usually I let a conversation drop if it looks like there is nothing to be learned from it.

For example, if someone is presented with an objection to a position, and instead of creatively meeting the objection, they just repeat their position, as if asserting a conclusion is the same as justifying it, then it is like, "well, I'm wasting my time."

I do like to talk to people who either know more than I do, and/or are mentally active instead of passive. Intelligence is meeting problems in a fresh, and maybe even risky way, instead of using ideas as some sort of security blanket, burying an entrenched perspective in a cocoon of words.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustHer View Post
    ^ super ESTJ
    idk. there are some signs of P there, imo
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

almost forgot, if we of indo-euro descent didn't shovel all our religious/nonreligious, forced english speaking, 10 thousand year old custom killing values shit down Inuit and other native throats
    they would have already had their own renaissance by now possibly even far more superior than even future visitors of earth
    yes, that includes you too 'save the whalers'. get off their ass already
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    This thread is a good example of the original topic.

The humor is not lost.
    QFT

/argument
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

There is no pure right and wrong in arguments.
    However, two person cannot be right at the same time, espeically two sides of view contradict each other.
    I usually consider both sides of point of view (and conduct an investigation on the opposing side) on issues I am passionate about. If they do not make sense to me, I just reject it.
    The purpose of the arguing is to find out the truth. If it does not help me search for the trutha and I have to waste time proving to people my point of view over and over again, then i just withdraw from the arguement. I am however the type of person who always believe I am right and have to win every arguement. I always will try to understand and assimilate what the other side is saying.

The truth however does not mean I am right and you are wrong. I never have this kind of attitude.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    ENTP

when you've spent 3 hours in their company and they haven't drawn breath on how wonderful they are (and you're thinking - WTF)

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    when you've spent 3 hours in heir company and they haven't drawn breath on how wonderful they are (and you're thinking - WTF)
    Oh, yes. Further: spending any time with anyone and you notice the pause when you are speaking is not being used by them to listen, but to formulate the next parry with with little regard to what you've actually said.

But your right, Tinks. It's worse when they blow their own trumpet without even the pretense of listening.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Oh, yes. Further: spending any time with anyone and you notice the pause when you are speaking is not being used by them to listen, but to formulate the next parry with with little regard to what you've actually said.
    Basically, XNTP's.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    INFP

When I hear the word "about" pronounced "abewt".

And "out" "ewt".

Cannot. Process.

It's the only thing I dislike about Canadian-friendly HGTV.

Well, that and nit-picky potential buyers focusing mainly on the changeable aspects of their prospective new home.