User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default God: The ultimate object of INTP analysis

The INTP profile at INTP.org says the following:

Indeed, most primary interests of an INTP are things which he cannot fully understand, usually because they are highly complex or have some exotic, mystical element that does not yield to analysis. This is the real reason why INTPs are drawn to complexity: anything simple is too quickly understood and cannot hold the fascination for long.
    This got me thinking about God. Trying to grasp His nature (whether you believe He exists, as I do, or whether you don't) is an inexhaustible avenue of abstract analysis for INTPs which fits the criteria mentioned in the above quote perfectly. There is a prevailing assumption that most INTPs are atheists or agnostics, but the concept of God does fit in with the INTP's desire to discover the "big picture" in his or her search for ultimate truth.

Could classical theologians like Anselm and Aquinas, who spent their lives pondering the nature of The Supreme Being, have been INTPs?
    "But only in their dreams can men be truly free. 'Twas always thus, and always thus will be." - Dead Poets Society

Enneagram: 5w4 sp

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

It's possible.

The problem with religion and INTPs is that it's basically an unknowable mystery. At least since the times of St. Thomas Aquinas there have been vast advances into the nature of the universe and life (physics, philosophy, biology, etc.) so that's where INTPs tend to gravitate.

I think this is the ultimate question for every self-reflective individual out there, regardless of type. I see how you can think of it as Ti-bound, but I never thought of this as an exclusively INTP matter.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

It's possible.
    True. It's as possible as fairies, dragons or leprechauns.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Senior Member StrappingYoungLad's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

God: The ultimate object of INTP analysis
    Not if they analyze god as a product of human mind. In which case the human mind becomes the ultimate object of INTP analysis.

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by StrappingYoungLad View Post
    Not if they analyze god as a product of human mind. In which case the human mind becomes the ultimate object of INTP analysis.
    Wholeheartedly concur; an understanding of the mind is the real source of enlightenment. Physics, mathematics, etc., are all just tools; we wield them like a monkey flinging feces.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

If you replace "human mind" with "human societies" in both cases, I agree.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown Essence View Post
    but the concept of God does fit in with the INTP's desire to discover the "big picture" in his or her search for ultimate truth.
    Isn't it more that INTPs actually are the big picture?

I've heard them say more then once..there can be only one...

The favorite part that may resonate with INTPs and make them indulge in this;

Adam and Eve... ...Before eating the fruit, man was able to control his passions purely with reason. After the fall, passions were no longer subordinate to reason, and so now pull us willy-nilly and influence our thinking process and will.
    So Adam and Eva was obviously INTPs. And being true to their nature and not obeying, the other 15 types was created as punishment.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Yeah. And the snake was ENTP. And God an ESFJ.

Hello