• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] God: The ultimate object of INTP analysis

The Unknown Essence

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The INTP profile at INTP.org says the following:

Indeed, most primary interests of an INTP are things which he cannot fully understand, usually because they are highly complex or have some exotic, mystical element that does not yield to analysis. This is the real reason why INTPs are drawn to complexity: anything simple is too quickly understood and cannot hold the fascination for long.

This got me thinking about God. Trying to grasp His nature (whether you believe He exists, as I do, or whether you don't) is an inexhaustible avenue of abstract analysis for INTPs which fits the criteria mentioned in the above quote perfectly. There is a prevailing assumption that most INTPs are atheists or agnostics, but the concept of God does fit in with the INTP's desire to discover the "big picture" in his or her search for ultimate truth.

Could classical theologians like Anselm and Aquinas, who spent their lives pondering the nature of The Supreme Being, have been INTPs?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's possible.

The problem with religion and INTPs is that it's basically an unknowable mystery. At least since the times of St. Thomas Aquinas there have been vast advances into the nature of the universe and life (physics, philosophy, biology, etc.) so that's where INTPs tend to gravitate.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think this is the ultimate question for every self-reflective individual out there, regardless of type. I see how you can think of it as Ti-bound, but I never thought of this as an exclusively INTP matter.

StrappingYoungLad

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
God: The ultimate object of INTP analysis

Not if they analyze god as a product of human mind. In which case the human mind becomes the ultimate object of INTP analysis. :D

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
Not if they analyze god as a product of human mind. In which case the human mind becomes the ultimate object of INTP analysis. :D

Wholeheartedly concur; an understanding of the mind is the real source of enlightenment. Physics, mathematics, etc., are all just tools; we wield them like a monkey flinging feces.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram

If you replace "human mind" with "human societies" in both cases, I agree. :)

sleepy

but the concept of God does fit in with the INTP's desire to discover the "big picture" in his or her search for ultimate truth.
Isn't it more that INTPs actually are the big picture?

I've heard them say more then once..there can be only one...

The favorite part that may resonate with INTPs and make them indulge in this;

Adam and Eve... ...Before eating the fruit, man was able to control his passions purely with reason. After the fall, passions were no longer subordinate to reason, and so now pull us willy-nilly and influence our thinking process and will.

So Adam and Eva was obviously INTPs. And being true to their nature and not obeying, the other 15 types was created as punishment.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Yeah. And the snake was ENTP. And God an ESFJ.

sleepy

Yeah. And the snake was ENTP. And God an ESFJ.
No. God could not have created the other 15 types if they where in existence. That does not add up. Even if the typing is accurate, they are probably metaphores. The God and the snake.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
No. God could not have created the other 15 types if they where in existence. That does not add up. Even if the typing is accurate, they are probably metaphores. The God and the snake.

No, I was being deadly serious. the snake was literally an ENTP and God was literally an ESFJ, and all of this literally happened, and if you disagree you go to hell.

And God can do anything. He apparently created man in his image didn't he, so how could he not have an MBTI type if man did have one?

Or was (he's dead now) He all 16 types? :D

And maybe Lucifer is just God's shadow functions? This is fun!

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx

This got me thinking about God. Trying to grasp His nature (whether you believe He exists, as I do, or whether you don't) is an inexhaustible avenue of abstract analysis for INTPs which fits the criteria mentioned in the above quote perfectly. There is a prevailing assumption that most INTPs are atheists or agnostics, but the concept of God does fit in with the INTP's desire to discover the "big picture" in his or her search for ultimate truth.

Could classical theologians like Anselm and Aquinas, who spent their lives pondering the nature of The Supreme Being, have been INTPs?

Spinoza and Descartes were INTPs who spent a lot of time writing about why a god must exist but spinoza however also wrote against organised religion. Spinoza's god was essentially what we consider nature. Aquinas might have been INTP his ideas on god are similar to Aristotle(unmoved mover in physics), for aquinas physical things do not create themselves so the universe must have been created......;) doubt anselm was intp

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think this is the ultimate question for every self-reflective individual out there, regardless of type. I see how you can think of it as Ti-bound, but I never thought of this as an exclusively INTP matter.

I don't think it's exclusively INTP or Ti either, although one can perhaps define a typical Ti-style approach.

I can say for me that "God" is an itch I cannot seem to scratch enough to satisfy. To me, I can't avoid thinking about it because it is relevant to the fabric of truth in the universe... but there are just ambiguities there into which no light seems able to shine... so the itch continues no matter how I try to scratch it. My mind keeps wanting to "figure it out" but can't, and yet I keep trying.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
God was power. It was like staring into the heart of the Force.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
figuring out god and afterlife wasnt all that hard, it only becomes impossible if you believe in god.

psychology is way better subject of analysis

dala

MBTI Type
intp
I find complex systems to be interesting. Economies, governments, things like that. I'm not particularly interested in chasing questions without answers.

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
I am INTP and I do not believe in God, not in the Christian sense. I have been very keen on exploring spirituality since I was little, basically just in the sense of who we are and our connection to everything. I do tend to put more weight in science, but I have a distinct spiritual bent as well.

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, I was being deadly serious. the snake was literally an ENTP and God was literally an ESFJ, and all of this literally happened, and if you disagree you go to hell.

And God can do anything. He apparently created man in his image didn't he, so how could he not have an MBTI type if man did have one?

Or was (he's dead now) He all 16 types? :D

And maybe Lucifer is just God's shadow functions? This is fun!

we're both the same type as the devil! :3 wonder if he's a 5 too... he'd have to be extremely sociopathic but still XD

W

WALMART

I'm ENTP and I speculate more on this than anyone I know... but perhaps I'm the only one that vocalizes it.