User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Te's uhh

ThatGirl

Default Te's uhh

Where do you stand on hypothetical?

where do you stand on the gas pedal, or the brake?

you can't discuss these things out of context, and as a general rule it's always better to have a holistic and well-rounded approach. Hypotheses serve their purpose, but are pointless on their own. Good ones enrich and enlighten. Bad ones you can learn from. In both cases, to follow your scientific method analogy, you need to follow up with concrete experimentation, analysis and conclusion.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

visaisahero is correct. There is a difference between an inference, a hypothetical, and an explanation.

Hypotheticals can be true or false, but they do not explain anything. Explanations may need to use hypotheticals. Inferences, unlike hypotheticals and explanations, are totally different -- they can be valid or invalid, but not true or false.

For example, suppose someone says, how can the Earth move, given our eyes detect no stellar parallax? We can explain this with the hypothesis that the stars are very, very far away. After looking at possible alternatives, we may make an inference to the most probable explanation.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Where do you stand on hypothetical?
    Confused... :confused: Could you give us an example of what sort of situation you're thinking of? 'Cause I'd love to help out, considering the fact that I'm Te-dom too...
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    -

Default Hypothesis is of secondary concern

In the context of academia or research, I tend to gather as much concrete evidence as possible before coming to some form of acceptance on a hypothesis.
    A hypothesis must be thorough, structured and cover a vast amount of contingencies concerned with the issue to be accepted.
    A hypothesis or theory is of secondary concern, and in a majority of cases, the facts will speak for themselves.

A specific example, I recently watched a 3-hour documentary that handled the issue of complex life in the solar system.
    The documentary had a 'Rare Earth Hypothesis' segment followed by a 'Mediocrity principle' segment.
    I paid careful attention to both sides and came to accept the Rare Earth hypothesis as a proper explanation in the present, since it explained nine factors involved with planets being hospitable to complex life such as the galactic habitable zone and plate tectonics being heavily involved in the formation of life-hospitable planets.

Te does not draw conclusions independently.
    I am entirely open to the issue of complex life in the solar system, should further evidence emerge that states otherwise.
    This would be Ni assisting me with "synthesizing the seemingly paradoxical or contradictory" and it would also apply to Introverted Sensing (Si) assisting ESTJ's in forming conclusions from a hypothesis.
    ENTJ

Te > Ni > Ti > Se = Si > Fe > Ne > Fi

ThatGirl

What I meant by this was, I tend to like only my own N, or N that is on my level. For instance I will sometimes bat around the typical "hypothetical" idea, or out there possibilities and notions. However when in the presence of extremely hypothetical people, I get annoyed to death by the redundancy of spaced out thought. If I am not in the mood for hypothetical, it tends to not only seem, from my perspective, both obsessive and at times crazy.

Mostly I get this way around INFJs and INTPs. Anyway was just wondering if this was a Te thing, or more S trait in general.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Hypothetically, I sit.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

If I am not in the mood for hypothetical, it tends to not only seem, from my perspective, both obsessive and at times crazy
    Past-perfect subjunctive (if this or that had been) annoys me to the point where I will demand the other stop considering the impossible.

MBTI
    INTJ

What I meant by this was, I tend to like only my own N, or N that is on my level. For instance I will sometimes bat around the typical "hypothetical" idea, or out there possibilities and notions. However when in the presence of extremely hypothetical people, I get annoyed to death by the redundancy of spaced out thought. If I am not in the mood for hypothetical, it tends to not only seem, from my perspective, both obsessive and at times crazy.

Mostly I get this way around INFJs and INTPs. Anyway was just wondering if this was a Te thing, or more S trait in general.
    In my experience (based on the ENTP's I've known), once they reach a conclusion they stick with it regardless of the introduction of refuting/superior evidence, and in fact, may become offended by arguments that oppose their own. So...I guess I can see how types like mine, which explore every possibility (hypothetically), could cause you problems.

To compare, it would be like how we only care about something to the extent that it is usable, which probably annoys INTPs.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

However when in the presence of extremely hypothetical people, I get annoyed to death by the redundancy of spaced out thought.
    I can sympathize with what you *might* be saying, in that I hate it when people use words in a way where it isn't clear what the words refer to. Some people string words together without saying anything at all. This happens a *lot* in philosophy. A non-question might be asked, such as "how is knowledge possible?" and a non-answer is given, "knowledge is made possible by the necessary a priori categories of our understanding using schemata structured via inner and outer intuition..."

Still, we use hypotheses all of the time. Someone can ask, why is Bob poor, given he comes from a rich family? We can explain this by introducing hypotheses-- maybe Bob isn't good with money, and his family hates him.