123 Last

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Default Are INTP's slow?

A supervisor of mine just told me that I was a slow learner. She said it took me a while to learn how to do something, though she said I also tended to be more thorough and careful about it. A lot of the activities in question concern things like tools and various practical aspects of the work we do, but I think there are other areas this might apply to as well. I do have some trouble with these things, so I can definitely see where she's coming from. But I guess I'm perplexed, and unsure how that fits in with NTness.... Aren't NT's supposed to be quick learners?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    xxxx

Because I don't have any care for INTPs as a whole, I'll just give my own personal story.

It depends on what I have to learn. Anything dealing with muscle memory of physical coordination (IE: Dancing) will take me eons. However, I wouldn't necessarily consider that type-related as I have been diagnosed with deficient fine motor skills and have never had strong gross motor skills either. It's still a blur in my memory why I stopped getting physical therapy for that.

I generally prefer an approach of thoroughness in forethought rather than jumping in. While this approach is somewhat natural, I've also learned how to blitz through something and work out problems as they come along. That's my primary approach to computing. One reason I don't like people looking over my shoulder on the computer is because I'm always improvising without too much of a plan in mind. I know very well from experience that forcing something on a computer is often destined for failure.

If I'm to draw a larger conclusion, it's that I'm more adept at finding patterns rather than digesting patterns I'm given.

I'm a quick study in taking in information. Spitting information out takes a while.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Others have told me that most things I undertake, I become very competent at them. I become competent at them over time. But, there are definitely those things that I'm just not good at and it's frustrating because I want to be competent at everything I do. When I find that I cannot be very competent (i.e., others are clearly much better than me) it's a strange feeling. I feel like a moron. LOL. For me, those are usually things like working with power tools (if I start to daydream, I could cut my arm off), under the hood of a car (looks like rocket science to me), learning things that there are a ton of rules for (feel like I have to remember every little thing instead of just acting freely on my natural instincts and abilities), etc.

In these instances, I am a very slow learner. Almost to the point that it seems like a form of retardation to others. I was told once by an ESTJ that I could be good at anything I wanted because he has seen that capability in me, but he said that in these situations where I suck it is because I am either (a) overthinking a very simple process, or (b) I don't care about the activity or enjoy it, so I don't put my full effort/focus into it.

MBTI
    nnnn

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    A supervisor of mine just told me that I was a slow learner. She said it took me a while to learn how to do something, though she said I also tended to be more thorough and careful about it. A lot of the activities in question concern things like tools and various practical aspects of the work we do, but I think there are other areas this might apply to as well. I do have some trouble with these things, so I can definitely see where she's coming from. But I guess I'm perplexed, and unsure how that fits in with NTness.... Aren't NT's supposed to be quick learners?
    Mmm...it's not really the same situation, but when I was in uni an E...(ENFP maybe) friend of mine kept comparing our studying rhythm and whereas he went through the material 7 times and way fast, I went through it once, but in a very in-depth way. He probably spent more time studying than I did - my study style is intense, thorough and condensed - but not 7 times more.

Oh and practical stuff I'm just really slow at. Possibly partly also because I want to do it right.

And I'm INTJ. But anyway. :p

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

So, I seem to be getting a pattern that we INT's seem to have be very slow learners when it comes to practical stuff, which is mostly the kind of thing I'm talking about. It seems like we really want to do it right, or we tend to overthink things. Is this because of Ti, or is this related to being intuitive?

I'm also pretty curious to know what non-NT's think about this.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I've never really been a slow learner, unless it comes to something I am not interested in. But what must be done, must be done. And in the interest of the whole I can manage to do menial chores as well without being a 'slow learner' or bad at it.

I've been called the companies handyman even from time to time. I don't like working with my hands, but I have to do it from time to time. I tend to rush it, work hard and get it done fast, because I want to get it over with. And it works for me.

I couldn't imagine working with my hands non stop. Menial chores are fine, but if I had to be practical for the duration of the day, I'd be well exhausted.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

It sounds like she's referring to Si stuff. Yes, typically, INxPs will be slow at that, relative to say, ISxJs, whether it's learning how to operate machinery, dance moves, memorizing the details of what and where things are in a room, etc...

ISTJ Evander Holyfield and INFP Mike Tyson got to know each other a little bit while preparing for the 1984 Olympic trials (Evander made the team and won a bronze--he should have won gold, but was shafted by the judges--Mike didn't) and EH commented that Mike had a tremendous sense of rhythm/timing on the speedbag and while boxing but no sense of rhythm/timing when they were doing non-boxing related stuff like playing casual basketball games. That's typical of someone for whom sensing stuff is learned by rote repetition but isn't a natural skill...

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

for me its about that i try to understand the principles about the thing im learning, so at start it might look like im learning slowly, but i think i understand how the whole thing works faster than many others(if its something complicated) and when i learn how it works i master it better than many others. so in the long run i dont think im a slow learner. if its something i really dont care about i dont try to learn the principles, so not only do i learn it slowly, but i wont learn it very well. but that doesent bother me since i dont care about learning it.

sometimes when something is actually pretty easy to learn i might try to understand its principles too deeply and try to think it as more complicated thing that it actually is, then i might learn it bit slower than many others. but in those cases it wont be anything too complex so it wont take me weeks to learn something that other learn in a minute..
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    TNT

INTPs are the fastest learners of all the types when something is abstract, complex and it interests them. They are often retarded at practical sensing stuff though.

MBTI
    INTP

Understanding does not measure.
    Reaction does.