User Tag List

First 123

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I've always been a fast learner. But also a quick forgetter of anything that didn't interest me.

I usually studied on big boring tests no sooner than a day before the test, and no usually no more than reading once or twice. And got my papers, so it paid off.

If someone was to give me those kind of tests now, I'd so flunk them all terribly though.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTP

Personally, I've typically been a fast learner. I tend to learn the "gist" of things easily and then delve deeper into the process once I have gotten the preliminary shroud. It seems that way I do not get into trouble by teachers but am also able to examine the material at my own pacing, while they are teaching the rest of it to the rest of the class.
    If you were to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Well, it sounds like you might be lumping two things together there.

I'm a fast learner, but tend to be slow at applying knowledge (which burns me on any time-based intelligence tests). I have very little gut faith in my presumptions, and habitually re-analyze the problem and my work, and these things slow me down immensely. No matter how often I discover my first guess was right, I never get any faster at coming to conclusions.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I don't know--I think some INTPs may be slow learners, and I think others may be fast learners.

I never understood the point of memorizing things as they were. In elementary school and stuff, I had a hard time just swallowing "facts." The multiplication table for instance. 5 times 5 might well equal 25, but I won't give a damn unless you explain why it equals 25. Once the principle of multiplication was understood, I was able to multiply like a motherfucker.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    A supervisor of mine just told me that I was a slow learner. She said it took me a while to learn how to do something, though she said I also tended to be more thorough and careful about it. A lot of the activities in question concern things like tools and various practical aspects of the work we do, but I think there are other areas this might apply to as well. I do have some trouble with these things, so I can definitely see where she's coming from. But I guess I'm perplexed, and unsure how that fits in with NTness.... Aren't NT's supposed to be quick learners?
    The title of this thread made me laugh but then I realized the OP was serious and had a specific question. Yay for serious questions!

I think INTPs care about competency and in areas that they place their sense of self/pride they will take extra pains to thoroughly master something. So yes, in that way they can be "slow". Worse case scenario they get into some Ti loop and repeatedly study/read the same things over and over again or else get stuck in the 'learning' stage and not into the execution.

In some ways being "a slow learner" seems a very *un* "NP" thing to do, since the general "NP" learning style is more global and slapdash. Or maybe that's just me.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

The INTP gets the big picture quickly and can get things going a lot faster with a focus on what is important

However those little details that SJs love so much may get over looked and hence we get perceived as slow

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

yes, definitly. Except in video games. But then again, who isnt ?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asOdrj2-7kI"].[/YOUTUBE]
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    FREE

I'm an all or nothing learner, and it must be through self discovery; but when it clicks, it resonates. I mean, I can infer things from and use that knowledge like nobody else, with such a rich understanding it's like a work of art in my mind. Perfection.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I'm an all or nothing learner, and it must be through self discovery; but when it clicks, it resonates. I mean, I can infer things from and use that knowledge like nobody else, with such a rich understanding it's like a work of art in my mind. Perfection.
    That's a good way of describing it. I don't know if it actually is "perfection", but when I get into that zone that you are describing, it definitely feels like "precision".

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

INTP-brand "over"analysis is not always the fastest way of getting to a conclusion, but when done right it will lead to something coherent and consistent, which can save time in the long run.
    So, are we slow? In the long run, probably not. (Except for me perhaps, but I have slow thinking issues above and beyond those that could be caused by Ti)