User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

I would say I both am and am not a minimalist.

I am a minimalist in the sense that I only really need clothes, media (books, cd's dvd's and associated hardware), computer, and craft supplies (crochet, knitting, weaving, drawing, architecture [my future profession]). This is a fairly finite category of kinds of things, but the individual components can add up. I'm a bit of a pack rat and used to be a lot worse, but am weaning myself of that habit and trying to only keep things that I need/use, and trying to use up/discard/give away extraneous stuff.

MBTI
    INFJ

I consider myself more of a minimalist than my INTP husband. But the comments about receiving gifts certainly relate to him - he dislikes holidays and birthday celebrations for himself, and one of the most awkward events I ever attended was the 30th birthday party I threw for him. He was quite uncomfortable being the center of attention, and his friends were mostly INTs who had nothing to say to anyone else at the party. Nearly 20 years later his friends are still very unique personalities who relate well to him but not to each other.

Far from minimalist, he has lots of books, cds, dvds, videotapess, computers, digital camera equipment (he's an NT all right) that I'm constantly trying to convince him to organize and/or reduce in quantity so the floors and other surfaces aren't cluttered with them.

I, on the other hand, have lots of books, but like to downsize periodically and only keep the ones I'm likely to use over and over again. I prefer to get books from the library; usually I have about 20 next to my bed at once. When I really like a library book I've read, then I look for a copy to buy.

We also have lots of magazines which I try to recycle, but my daughter wants to keep them. We could have a small lending library based just on the magazines that come into the house each month, but I prefer to read then recycle most of them. They stack up on the floor or on chairs or the tops of bookcases, but I'd prefer to have a few that we'll refer to often, rather than tons in tall piles we can't access.

As for clothing, teenage daughter has tons, husband, son and I have a few basics we wear often. I usually try to sort out anything I haven't worn recently, that's out of style, doesn't fit, etc. When in doubt, give it away.

This is a fairly new way of being for me, as I used to buy lots of books, decorative items, household goods, toys for the kids, collectibles and other objects, but now I really think about everything that comes into the house and if it's really needed.

As for the teenaged son, he moved away to college with all of his stuff in the back of a Subaru Forester, including a fair amount of kitchen items we provided. He's the most minimalist (also INTP) - has a few books and a few clothes at school. Everything he needs seems to be in his head and on his computer.

MBTI
    INTJ

Things I need. Laptop, xbox 360, DVD collection, books, games, drawing pencils, and paper.

I suppose I'm not particularly minimalistic, but I've never wanted too much...and there are plenty of things that I've been given that I don't use. I'm just too lazy to get rid of them, but wouldn't mourn their loss.

I'd miss my Myst notes more than half the stuff I've been given.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

MBTI
    ENFP

My husband is an INTP! And boy oh boy! is he a minimalist. WE've moved literally 14 times in the last 3 years of marriage and I see the way he eyes my beloved books. He tried to throw away my poetry journals from my finding myself year at college. Big no no!
    A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is visible labour and there is invisible labour.
    -Victor Hugo

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    People often tend to think of the drive to want too much as being an ugly part of human nature, unavoidable in the face of reality.
    I think people are caught off-guard by how rarely it applies to me.

I've always eaten very little food.

I don't want gifts! I hate getting gifts 90% of the time. I probably won't use them, they'll take up space, and I feel like I'm obligated to use them, causing me much guilt.

I will turn down items considered highly desirable by others, just to have space in my room.

I don't drink, smoke, or use any other drugs. I don't even take pain killers unless I'm being really tortured.

I have encountered many, many people who are weirded-out by how little I want. I have to drink and smoke, I have to eat more, I can't pass on special sales...
    When I moved out of my previous home into this one, my family members kept looking at my cargo and saying "you can take more you know?". I'd say "yeah, but I don't know if I really need that and...", at which point they'd suddenly command "take more!".

I say it's a sign of my combined MBTI and Enneagram type.
    Has anyone else had the problem of being unacceptably minimalist, or am I alone on this one?
    same for me... for most of this post. except for the food part.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm not really minimalist--aesthetics are important to me, and I enjoy some "stuff" hanging about...and I love food!--but I'm fairly simple in my tastes and probably more minimalist than a lot of people my age. And I hate getting gifts, especially when it's more "stuff" to sit around and look cluttered.

On the other hand if all my random stuff disappeared today, the only things I would miss are my laptop and mp3 player. And books.

MBTI
    INTP

Supposedly, I too am an INTP. Every time I take the test, I get the same result. Although I do seem to have a stronger feeling side than most here (but not quite enough for the average population). I'm somewhat peculiar in what material possessions I choose to own. I own quite a few things, but all have something to do with my keen interest in computers, audio equipment, photography, cars and engineering. Nearly everything else I find expendable and I just throw out (with the exception of good clothes, everyone likes a well groomed, well dressed young man.)

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    People often tend to think of the drive to want too much as being an ugly part of human nature, unavoidable in the face of reality.
    I think people are caught off-guard by how rarely it applies to me.

I've always eaten very little food.

I don't want gifts! I hate getting gifts 90% of the time. I probably won't use them, they'll take up space, and I feel like I'm obligated to use them, causing me much guilt.

I will turn down items considered highly desirable by others, just to have space in my room.

I don't drink, smoke, or use any other drugs. I don't even take pain killers unless I'm being really tortured.

I have encountered many, many people who are weirded-out by how little I want. I have to drink and smoke, I have to eat more, I can't pass on special sales...
    When I moved out of my previous home into this one, my family members kept looking at my cargo and saying "you can take more you know?". I'd say "yeah, but I don't know if I really need that and...", at which point they'd suddenly command "take more!".

I say it's a sign of my combined MBTI and Enneagram type.
    Has anyone else had the problem of being unacceptably minimalist, or am I alone on this one?
    I tip the Pope.

I'm probably not a minimalist on the order of the OP, but I definitely have tendencies. I have asked family and friends that I don't want "things" for gifts, but consumables or experiences instead. I have a modestly furnished one bedroom apartment, and for the life of me I don't know how I would fill a house with enough to make it look lived in. I accumulate a certain number of things according to my interests; for instance I have a lot of kitchen gadgets and cookware, and I have a lot of CDs. But I like living a life free of too many things. It makes me feel lithe and adaptable.

MBTI
    infp

I'm not that minimalistic, but I am unmaterialistic. I don't buy a whole lot, I generally don't ask for a whole lot... I don't smoke, drink, or do drugs. My parents tell me I'm very undeamnding, and sometimes insist on buying me things.