• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT's and prioritizing.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As an NT, we're quite driven for knowledge, understanding. But as rationals, we seek the most effective ways of aquiring said information. So we should be very capable of prioritizing. But at the same time, prioritizing seems to be a constant struggle. Because new info, new events, can potentially shift our priorities. So it experiences constant change, and requires a lot of devotion.

Do you have ways that simplify your prioritizing abilities? How do you set your boundaries? What would the scale say if you weigh your needs and that of others, when considering your priorities?

How do you find balance in your life?

Will answer these questions to the best of my ability later, I'm still grinding on the subject a bit although I have a pretty good idea on where my stance is in this, and it's quite peculiar. I'm very curious how other NT's experience this.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
This is a good question. I'm terrible at prioritizing and usually slow to action. In many situations I would rather do nothing than do something that might be wrong or have adverse consequences. If I could change only one thing about myself...

Do you have ways that simplify your prioritizing abilities? How do you set your boundaries? What would the scale say if you weigh your needs and that of others, when considering your priorities?
My first priority is always the commitments I have made. If I said I was going to do something, I will do it, well and on time. Somebody once remarked that I was the only one of her friends who, if I said I was going to call back at a certain time, always did, and how much she appreciated that.

At the same time, because my word is so important to me, I'm often reluctant to give it. When I do commit to something, that often helps me prioritize.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've given it some more thought and now that there's also some interest in the topic I'll go a bit deeper into my own findings and how I personally prioritize.

My first priority is stability and my own future. I actively do the things I have to do in order to preserve stability, and thus positive progress, of my work environment (As an entrepeneur it's my pension so to speak.) and therefor my own future. Mostly financially, but health is a part of it as well.

After that, my priority lies in my leisure time. To grant myself enough space to keep relativating and analysing my surroundings, So I have a good understanding of where I stand in life and what needs to be done. If I skip this for longer than a week, it shows its effects already. I become edgy, shivery and anxious (Although I don't show it, it's quite internal). If I allow myself my alone time, I remain stable and in control. This I usually do while watching my favorite tv shows, or procrastinating on the internet.

Not until after that, come people close to me. My social factor. Which obviously doesn't leave much time for my friends. Which is also why I don't want too many friends, and if I was to have many friends, I would not have enough time in a day to keep up. I currently have two friends, and I'm sorry to say, I regularly loose contact with either of them for the duration of 2 or 3 weeks. But that's what it takes to uphold my first two priorities and I do not regret that.

But especially my second priority can become addictive, as it can be a very nice change of scenery. In that I often probably try to overdo it, not at the cost of priority 1, but definatly at the cost of my social front.

So in conclusion, I mainly prioritize out of self interest, and for a stable environment. And as it turns out, I don't give a crap about others.

As for personal intellectual development. Which is probably most important to me. I try to incoorperate that whenever and where-ever possible in everything I do.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm afraid I'm not great at prioritizing.

If I really feel my life has gotten off-track, I'll do an official brainstorm and checklist... everything I need to do, everything I would like to accomplish... just to get it in front of me so then I can punchlist the necessary stuff and then fit the other stuff around those things.

Unfortunately my normal mode is "go with the flow," so often whatever looks best at the moment (answering an e-mail, posting in a particular thread, watching something that looks interesting on cable, etc.) can control my daily schedule. I need to be a little structured because lately I feel like I am just churning my wheels and floating along in life. I tend to chase whatever feels intellectually/emotionally stimulating at the time.

Shaunward

First priority is the care and long-term benefit of those who look to me to lead them.
Second priority is keeping my word and honouring commitments.
Third priority is developing and accomplishing my own long-term goals.
Fourth priority is developing and accomplishing my short-term goals.
Fifth is to act as a mentor for those that ask.
Sixth is to amuse myself.
Seventh is to take care of those who don't ask.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
First priority is the care and long-term benefit of those who look to me to lead them.
Second priority is keeping my word and honouring commitments.
Third priority is developing and accomplishing my own long-term goals.
Fourth priority is developing and accomplishing my short-term goals.
Fifth is to act as a mentor for those that ask.
Sixth is to amuse myself.
Seventh is to take care of those who don't ask.

I suppose it's what to expect from an ENTJ, but how do you keep that up, how do you prevent yourself from neglecting one of your priorities, with the limited time at your disposal?

Shaunward

I suppose it's what to expect from an ENTJ, but how do you keep that up, how do you prevent yourself from neglecting one of your priorities, with the limited time at your disposal?

Limited time puts more pressure on me. I thrive under pressure. Without pressure, I become bored and fade away. I make sure to keep myself busy. I work better that way. It energises me.

I constantly push myself and choose a schedule that challenges me. I let people know all the things I have to do, so if I take a little longer, they tend to be very understanding. At the same time, I'm able to learn how to be more effective per resources (including time resource). Practice makes perfect.

It's about constantly planning, growing and reassessing. Find out that sweet spot where you're being challenged, learning and keeping your commitments. You'll make mistakes - that's okay. Learn from them and work past them.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
THE TRUTH

or death.lol

that's my fav.

That only says something about how you want to project yourself, but says nothing about how you prioritize your activities of importance to you?

For great justice and all that.

T

ThatGirl

I have never had trouble with prioritizing (maybe one time in all my life, I called it the bermuda triangle of thought).For the most part prioritizing happens to be one of my talents, and my priorities are almost never set in stone. knowing what needs to be attended to, what can be secondary, what structures support which foundations is almost instictual.

The only time my priorities have caused me great conflict is when they distinctly fail to align with others. Which given my tendency to read between the lines can happen pretty often. It becomes annoying and creates more work, but essentially I find a way to do what needs to be done.

Oddly Refined

Enneagram
Spread sheets and analysis of data. I've been advised by friends not share it because most people will not understand.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Seeking knowledge am pretty bad at prioritizing...am more like a glutton at a all you can eat buffet...more consumption and less rhyme and reason.

However am pretty good at prioritizing when it comes to intense interpersonal conflict or when there is a time limit (although I hate deadlines in general yet reasonable ones do assist me in prioritizing). Also if one has the discipline to writing lists of priorities this can be quiet pragmatic.