discussssssssss
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

First question: Who do you think you are?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Need to check with outside world to be fully aware of identity. Not necessarily asking people what they think of you, but observe how your actions affect stuff.

edit - your actions (and attitude and approach) dictate who you are. Not what you think, not what your principles are. if we are talking about identity of the person.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I perceive identity as being socially constructed; defined by contexts and relationships in the outside environment.

Following from the former, I think identity is not at all fixed; and it always changes from context to context, from one relationship to another, etc.

I think about identity a lot, especially as it pertains to the fixation that many people (including myself at various stages of my life) appear to have with being "true" to themselves (for clarification, I am using "self" synonymously with "identity"), in spite of what seems to me to be the extremely fluid and transparent nature of it.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by lamp View Post
    Need to check with outside world to be fully aware of identity. Not necessarily asking people what they think of you, but observe how your actions affect stuff.

edit - your actions (and attitude and approach) dictate who you are. Not what you think, not what your principles are. if we are talking about identity of the person.
    Is that correct?

What if the environment inhibits the person in some ways that others are not inhibited?

Are we what we do, or are we what we think?
    Do we have an identity apart from how others observe and witness us?
    What if someone just conforms to external expectations but inside is different?
    Contrastingly, what if they have an internal view of self that they fail to implement in terms of behavior?

Will extroverts view identity differently than introverts?
    Do spiritually minded people view identity differently than behavioralists (as another example)?

Which definition is more valid?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Are we what we do, or are we what we think? Do we have an identity apart from how others observe and witness us?
    What if someone just conforms to external expectations but inside is different? Contrastingly, what if they have an internal view of self that they fail to implement in terms of behavior?
    I hold the view that internal perceptions of self are an element of our behavior and not something separate from it.

I speak only for myself, but I have had many moments where inner thoughts clashed with my outer behavior. I have always been keen to notice it, however. I find myself taking on a stance of "I do, therefore I think" rather than "I think, therefore I am". I arrive at conclusions about what I think, based on reflecting on prior behavior, as opposed to the other way around. As such, I tend to give more weight to my outer behavior and trust inner notions less; especially as I see my "inner self" as being largely a product of transactions with the outside world.

Another point: Supposing that there is an internal view of self that runs in constrast to outer behavior, I think it is important to consider the question of how to "prove" it, or how to verify it. If all we have to go on is a person saying "Inside, I am person XY", it would seem to me to be unfalsifiable. Of course, I am assuming verifiability and falsifiability as being "important."

Which definition is more valid?
    Before this question can be answered, I think it is important to consider whether or not there is commonly agreed upon way of measuring validity. Using myself as an example to illustrate, my inclination towards externally derived notions of "self" are in large part of a general inclination I have towards empirical methods of verification (and also perhaps due to my almost absence of "Fi"). Not everybody gives as much weight to this method, however.

long term memory

identity is a fragile and dynamic function of the mind. identity can be(come) everything. not sure if it can become everything.
    oh, i am abusing language again.

the nature of a persona is a more complex topic of course.
    (while we are identified with our persona, our identity has become our persona)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    discussssssssss
    Meh... Was a so-so movie.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    identity is a fragile and dynamic function of the mind. identity can be(come) everything. not sure if it can become everything.
    oh, i am abusing language again.

the nature of a persona is a more complex topic of course.
    (while we are identified with out persona, our identity has become our persona)
    I like this perspective a lot, as I find that discussions about identity are commonly plagued by subtle differences in how different people use the word "identity." These subtle differences often translate into miscommunications if there isn't a very precise and mutually agreed upon definition established prior.