User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    If you haven't you shouldn't be commenting on typology, just as you shouldn't be commenting on Christian theology if you've never read the New Testament.

P.S this message is addressed to all other proud and thoughtless practitioners of folk typology, not just aprhodite gone awry!
    If I read Lacan's works, I won't have the slightest clue about his theories.
    If I read interpretations of Lacan's works, I start to understand th fundaments of his concept.

I disagree with your logic.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

^^^Anyone could say that about Lacan though. Seeing as he is ludicrously jargon filled and post-modernist.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    I know, SW, how dare I try and converse with great minds like yours with anything less than an extensive classical education, whilst pursuing my PhD?

I quite realize I need to fill in gaps of my missing knowledge. Hell, what I've learned has definitely been very folksy; stuff I've read from Keirsey, Briggs, Myers, Berens, Nardi, Hartzler, and Thompson; and astute minds on Type C. My model for learning does tend to follow a more rebellious approach, and one not necessarily prescribed by the masses, or traditional education; I prefer to get enough knowledge to stimulate and educate my mind just enought to let it wander where it will for a while. Then after a while, if it's something I'm very interested in, I will go back and refine my own theories by looking to others with more knowledge of said subject. I've found that suits my Ni the best. If I inundate it with others' theories, no matter how 'great' the others are considered, I might not end up with my own original ideas, or I might end up influenced by others' ideas; and that is uh, anathema [ ] to my master Ni.

Perhaps you would require that I add a disclaimer to my signature so that others might not be mislead by my ignorance as I tout my limited knowledge about Le Forum................

Btw, I was very impressed by your Ni stuff. I spent at least an hour reading it, and read it over a couple times. I found it very enlightening, but like Cascade, didn't totally resonate with some of the Se stuff. Thanks for calling my attention to it.

What are you pursuing your PhD in?

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    If I read interpretations of Lacan's works, I start to understand th fundaments of his concept.

In that case perhaps my views require a revision. At least you ought to read the second hand interpretation of Jung to comment on typology or the second hand interpretation of the New Testament to comment on Christian theology. However, the impudent folk theorists did not provide anything resembling an interpretation of the Jungian theory, they simply twisted them around to create a simple, easy to use personality system that the common people can enjoy.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

What are you pursuing your PhD in?
    Haha. That caught your attention, did it? No, no, no. You read me wrong, I was being facetious. I am currently spending the bulk of my time homeschooing my children and taking care of my family; although I might pursue it someday, most likely in public health in some capacity, although anthropology and the study of human relationship has always fascinated me. However, I think overall I'm leaning away from the idea of 'higher' institutionalized education, just as I've already spurned the idea of traditional governmental primary and secondary education; because I think that less specialization, and more diversity in education, is probably more prudent for the future of our country.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post

Why, that's because you're a folk typologist, of course!

Only real typologists like lolitary walker have genuine science to back up their pop psychology claims.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Only real typologists like lolitary walker have genuine science to back up their pop psychology claims.
    I don't make pop psychology claims on here, nor even psychology claims.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

I don't make pop psychology claims on here, nor even psychology claims.
    Well, at least we can agree that typology is unscientific and purely a form of philosophy. Half the people here are still hung up on looking for scientific proof of a system that doesn't even purport to be scientific.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

^^^philosophy can and should be scientific.

also re the other points raised prior to the interjections about Jung, folskiness and philosophy: if I'm both bullying and self-victimizing does that make me the master debater manipulator? or just a twat?
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    ^^^philosophy can and should be scientific.

also re the other points raised prior to the interjections about Jung, folskiness and philosophy: if I'm both bullying and self-victimizing does that make me the master debater manipulator? or just a twat?
    Science requires empirically verifiable standards, which neither typology nor philosophy has. There is no biological proof that Jung's functional concepts accurately represent the functions of the human brain; they are merely arbitrary categorizations based on his observations of human behavior.

Since there is no way to test or verify one's psychological type empirically, it cannot be scientific.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

yeah I don't really know how to express it, as I will make any number of semantic errors.

I'm not a "scientist" but I know that it's at least not accepted by all scientists, that "science=empiricism". I mean I know Marxist scientists who believe strongly in dialectical materialism (there's a good book called The Dialectical Biologst by two, umm, biologists, called Richard Levins and Richard Lewontin).

I don't think anyone has a monopoly on the term "scientific" and find it hard to accept that, the observance of tendencies whcih you support with empirical evidence, and then making hypotheses based on them, can't be called "scientific". Would you say Freud was "unscientific" for example?

But, I digress. And from my own thread no less.