• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJ censoring your remarks

HomerSoprano

MBTI Type
INTP
I have an INTJ father that can say almost anything to critzise someone else, even his own family. And he´s nearly 60 years old. He´s starting to realize that his untactful comments aren´t welcome anymore.

So my question is for INTJ´s in general. When did you realize that you have to think about what you say? Have you even realized this?

I know there are other MBTI types that can unintentionally insult people but imo INTJ´s are the worst.

Last edited:

Bri

MBTI Type
INTJ
My father is an INTJ also, and he has always been good about thinking before he speaks. So, I learned from his example. My INTJ brother seems to have learned by his example as well. It's not that we don't make mistakes now and then, but for the most part we all try to take a "you attract more flies with honey than vinegar" approach to life.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I have an INTJ father that can say almost anything to critzise someone else, even his family. And he´s nearly 60 years old. He´s starting to realize that his comments aren´t welcome anymore.

So my question is for for INTJ´s in general. When did you realize that you have to think about what you say? Have you even realized this?

I know there are other MBTI types that can unintentionally insult people but imo INTJ´s are the worst.

When I was about 18 and realized that the shit that came out of my mouth could make life harder for me as well as draw unwanted attention to myself. I had to work on facial expression as well.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
My father is an INTJ also, and he has always been good about thinking before he speaks. So, I learned from his example. My INTJ brother seems to have learned by his example as well. It's not that we don't make mistakes now and then, but for the most part we all try to take a "you attract more flies with honey than vinegar" approach to life.

3 INTJs in one family? Are you sure? Isn't that a sign of the apocalypse...or the cause thereof?

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was taught to have proper manners at a young age. I have therefore always found it immature and childish to call people names or insult them. Criticising is of course different and I expect people not to take it personally. Only to improve themselves. I do not criticise with the emotion of anger though. Destructiveness is the production of anger and hatred and getting things done with the emotion of anger means that one's perception of the world is faulty.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I have an INTJ father that can say almost anything to critzise someone else, even his family. And he´s nearly 60 years old. He´s starting to realize that his comments aren´t welcome anymore.

So my question is for for INTJ´s in general. When did you realize that you have to think about what you say? Have you even realized this?

About 4 or 5 years old. It doesn't really take much working out.

thescientist

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
This past year I've become noticeably more tactful...mostly with strangers/acquaintances and friends. I'm 25. I think it's been MBTI related. Once you acquire a certain level of self-awareness you watch your words and actions more carefully.

Still working on it with family. I don't seem to censor myself with them at all.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Wait a second . . . are you trying to convince us that you, your dad, and your brother are all INTJs? Are you aware that MBTI is non-hereditary and that the actual percentage of INTJs is minuscule? Moreover, do you know that the probability of something like that occurring one in one gazillion . . . at least?

No freaking way.

What type is your mom? No wait, I think I already know.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn

I'll think about what I say if you think about what I say.

HomerSoprano

MBTI Type
INTP
Criticising is of course different and I expect people not to take it personally. Only to improve themselves. I do not criticise with the emotion of anger though. Destructiveness is the production of anger and hatred and getting things done with the emotion of anger means that one's perception of the world is faulty.

But critisism can also be presented in the wrong way. Like my dad can critisise someone just for the sake critisising. And critisism is not always welcome or neccesary. Which I´ve found INTJ´s have hard to understand.

Fingers Superstar

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
My ability to hold my tongue has gotten better as I've grown older, but I think it's more important to say things that no one else will, I have a strongly held principle of sometimes you just have to say what no one has the guts to.

But I'm still critical of people, just to keep them on their toes and stop them from slacking, truth is more important than anything else.

Oddly Refined

Enneagram
I've found that criticism comes naturally to me and I've worked fairly hard to learn to be tactful. Criticism should be constructive and delivered in an effective manner otherwise it defeats the point of delivering it in the first place. Blunt honesty isn't valued which I find frustrating, but there is a certain amount of responsibility given to the speaker in their delivery. I find myself actively holding back my entire personality when it comes to communication. That is intellectually tiring, but in the end my life is less dramatic because people are less offended. Most people can't handle brutal honesty and that's reality.

I come from a family of Ni dominance, but split on T/F. We have two INFJ's, an ENTJ, an XNTJ (myself), and an IXTJ. Family gatherings are a challenge...

Last edited:

HomerSoprano

MBTI Type
INTP
But I'm still critical of people, just to keep them on their toes and stop them from slacking, truth is more important than anything else.

Thats´s fine with me as long as you´re their boss. Otherwise I´d think twice before opening my mouth because the truth can also go the othe way around which I´ve found INTJ to have problems with. In my opinion INTJ is the most socially inept of the 16 MBti types.

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
I just have to make an observation that posters keep refencing "the truth". If it is something like a person saying, "two plus two is five" the truth is "No, the answer is four." I do believe that correcting something that is plainly incorrect is generally constructive and if the person receiving it is offended, it is probably an insecurity at play.

However, I suspect (perhaps incorrectly, I'm sure you will tell me if I am wrong :) ) that much of the "truth" you speak of is subjective and therefore an opinion or theory. I think much of the frustration for non-INTJs is feeling directed by the INTJ (you should do it this way becuase it is more efficient - but I like doing it the way becuase it's more fun - That's dumb.) or belittled by the INTJ for having a differing point of view (see previous example).

I had and INTJ SO for 9 years. We got along great for the most part, but his lack of tact and inability to just say, "OK do it your way" without micro-managing and criticizing definitely took a toll on our relationship. Of course, I am sure he would say my lack of "logic" was frustrating.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
My family always placed a good deal of importance on manner/tact/savoir faire. I developed it rather naturally and early thanks to this.

I also realized that I do not ultimately know when I may require the assistance of another, and thus it would be wise to remain on pleasant terms with a large number of people. Since I'm not exactly a Fe adept, holding my tongue at times is pretty effective at preventing fallout, at the very least.

Oddly Refined

Enneagram
However, I suspect (perhaps incorrectly, I'm sure you will tell me if I am wrong :) ) that much of the "truth" you speak of is subjective and therefore an opinion or theory. I think much of the frustration for non-INTJs is feeling directed by the INTJ (you should do it this way becuase it is more efficient - but I like doing it the way becuase it's more fun - That's dumb.) or belittled by the INTJ for having a differing point of view (see previous example).

I had and INTJ SO for 9 years. We got along great for the most part, but his lack of tact and inability to just say, "OK do it your way" without micro-managing and criticizing definitely took a toll on our relationship. Of course, I am sure he would say my lack of "logic" was frustrating.

Your observations appear to be correct.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
It took me a very long time to understand and utilize tact. On occasion I still lose my discretion when I shouldnt.