User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

I'm not an NTJ, but I can identify with a lot of what you write. I tend to get locked into a comfort zone and stagnate ... not producing anything of real value. It can be a tough cycle to break, since it takes some inertia to get things moving again.

Looking back at successful periods of my life however, I've noticed that they all came when I moved outside of my comfort zone ... either through changes in my environment, or by placing myself in situations where I was forced to act. One huge movement outside of my comfort zone was joining the military. While I don't necessarily recommend that, it did get my butt moving towards multiple goals that I eventually achieved.

Another big movement outside my comfort zone was losing my military career and having nothing to fall back on. I basically didn't know where my next meal was coming from. That got me motivated for grad school, which ended up being a delightful change from the J-based military and a new career.

If you can create some sort of situation that forces you out of your comfort zone, then I believe greater things could start happening for you. Figuring out ways to do that is the trick, however. Perhaps making a promise or committment to somebody or an organization that forces you to follow through ... even a contractual committment. That might get the inertia going. Placing yourself in new situations ... intellectual, work related, social, etc. can also sometimes jump start the move.

Best of luck.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    I'm not an NTJ, but I can identify with a lot of what you write. I tend to get locked into a comfort zone and stagnate ... not producing anything of real value. It can be a tough cycle to break, since it takes some inertia to get things moving again.

Looking back at successful periods of my life however, I've noticed that they all came when I moved outside of my comfort zone ... either through changes in my environment, or by placing myself in situations where I was forced to act. One huge movement outside of my comfort zone was joining the military. While I don't necessarily recommend that, it did get my butt moving towards multiple goals that I eventually achieved.

Another big movement outside my comfort zone was losing my military career and having nothing to fall back on. I basically didn't know where my next meal was coming from. That got me motivated for grad school, which ended up being a delightful change from the J-based military and a new career.

If you can create some sort of situation that forces you out of your comfort zone, then I believe greater things could start happening for you. Figuring out ways to do that is the trick, however. Perhaps making a promise or committment to somebody or an organization that forces you to follow through ... even a contractual committment. That might get the inertia going. Placing yourself in new situations ... intellectual, work related, social, etc. can also sometimes jump start the move.

Best of luck.
    Very true, I don't doubt this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    I'll tell you now and save you the trouble: willpower.
    Sounds like my ars poetica. Let's see how far we'll get.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Well I already started it today. I got in contact with my dissertation supervisor, asked him to be my academic reference, he said yes, so I've now applied for law school! Then I got in contact with my peer mentor again so he can send me a CV template so that I can rewrite a CV (my other unbacked-up one was stolen with my laptop last May).

I also just feel really really good. Like I've got plans for the future again.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post

Best of luck.
    Agree. Same experience here.

True.

I agree and feel affinity with all of this.

My aim is to conquer all the weaknesses within this year. I think I can do it.

Actually, to other ENTJs: I'm really interested in what you perceive your own strengths and weaknesses to be.
    One other thought - not to suggest that you forget about shoring up on weaknesses - particularly those that can derail everything else (there seemed to be a few on the list), but I would suggest that you may be able to get better "bang for your buck," in terms of time invested, by developing and exercising your talents and working with others who have strengths in areas where you do not. That is, if it is an option for you.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Eh, Ezra, it's normal to feel a bit down at the end of your undergrad...most people I know feel/felt like they haven't/hadn't learnt as much as they thought they would. It will change when you go through graduate school, I'm sure.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    One other thought - not to suggest that you forget about shoring up on weaknesses - particularly those that can derail everything else (there seemed to be a few on the list), but I would suggest that you may be able to get better "bang for your buck," in terms of time invested, by developing and exercising your talents and working with others who have strengths in areas where you do not. That is, if it is an option for you.
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Eh, Ezra, it's normal to feel a bit down at the end of your undergrad...most people I know feel/felt like they haven't/hadn't learnt as much as they thought they would. It will change when you go through graduate school, I'm sure.
    Yeah, I think that's probably it.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I had this experience as well. Grad school opened up many new horizons for me. It was particularly nice to drill down into one area more deeply, rather than becoming only somewhat conversant in a lot of areas.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

"Rationals are very scarce, comprising as little as 5 to 10 percent of the population. But because of their drive to unlock the secrets of nature, and to develop new technologies, they have done much to shape our world." Source

I haven't shaped our world recently - have you?

As an ENTJ, I'm feeling inferior right now. If I was an ENTP or an INTJ or INTP I might be more lenient with myself, but right now, I'm mediocre.
    What makes you think that having a preference (what MBTI measures) singles you out for greatness?

Maybe you're just not that special. Most of us are not.
    Those who have shaped our world have frequently done so by accident...
    And some of the shapes ain't so pretty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    What makes you think that having a preference (what MBTI measures) singles you out for greatness?

Maybe you're just not that special. Most of us are not.
    Those who have shaped our world have frequently done so by accident...
    And some of the shapes ain't so pretty.
    Hey, Blue - nice to see you in one piece (I hope).

Advertisers often use the technique to sell us shit we neither want or need. Heaven forbid MBTI would do such a thing.

"Because we're worth it."