• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs - What is your goal/motivation in life?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you see happiness as a goal, then you're doing it wrong.

You may very well be right. So what is your suggestion?

EDIT: Please be specific. No pithy one liners.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
You may very well be right. So what is your suggestion?

EDIT: Please be specific. No pithy one liners.

Think of happiness as the car you drive in, instead of a destination.

Can't really get anymore specific than that, because happiness is on the same level as taste. Just figure out what makes you happy, then do it on a daily basis.

Shaunward

Can't really get anymore specific than that, because happiness is on the same level as taste. Just figure out what makes you happy, then do it on a daily basis.

Yes. I've come to the conclusion that it's not where the path takes you, but the path itself. Life is not about birth or death; life is about living. That being said, I operate entirely off goal and plans. So my path is typically a gradient of goal-points. Small victories, brief amusements. All in a direction I enjoy.

Ace_

MBTI Type
TNT

Then how is he doing it wrong if he sees happiness as a goal?

You've basically said the same thing.

No one views happiness as some kind of destination. That doesn't make sense. Happiness is a continual thing.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Then how is he doing it wrong if he sees happiness as a goal?

You've basically said the same thing.

No one views happiness as some kind of destination. That doesn't make sense. Happiness is a continual thing.

I hate getting all INTP on people, but...

Definitions of goal:

the state of affairs that a plan is intended to achieve and that (when achieved) terminates behavior intended to achieve it;

finish: the place designated as the end (as of a race or journey);

Ace_

MBTI Type
TNT
What if I say my goal is continual happiness?

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
What if I say my goal is continual happiness?

When you are using the word "goal", its definition applies all the same no matter what you add after it.

May I suggest you use "way" instead of "goal" in order to convey your thoughts in a more precise manner?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I think we're in violent agreement here.

I hate getting all INTP on people, but...

Definitions of goal:

the state of affairs that a plan is intended to achieve and that (when achieved) terminates behavior intended to achieve it;

finish: the place designated as the end (as of a race or journey);

So, it has always annoyed me when people are overly literal or precise with my use of words. My internal reaction is exasperation, you're being overly precise and missing the point of what i'm trying to say. Now I know why. It is because I do exactly this same thing. Thank you for helping me to realize this.

When you are using the word "goal", its definition applies all the same no matter what you add after it.

May I suggest you use "way" instead of "goal" in order to convey your thoughts in a more precise manner?

Well, since we're being precise, the other word in the OP is "motivation".
1. giving of reason to act: the act of giving somebody a reason or incentive to do something
2. enthusiasm: a feeling of enthusiasm, interest, or commitment that makes somebody want to do something, or something that causes such a feeling
3. reason: a reason for doing something or behaving in a particular way
4. psychology forces determining behavior: the biological, emotional, cognitive, or social forces that activate and direct behavior

I don't know if that makes it any better but I think we're likely pretty much in agreement in either case, as far as the general gist of it is concerned.

d4mselfly

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
The most efficient possible path of progress and achievement.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To become really good at whatever I choose to do.