User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    SEXY

I hate arguing semantics in serious matters. I do do it in fun discussions to frustrate people though.
    (removed)

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I've seen this mainly with INTP's and to a lesser extent ENTP's. The former can use semantics as a crutch to support their argument when they either fail to see or understand the larger argument or perceive they are losing the argument and hold on strongly to the one area of inconsistency, however minor to the main discussion, that they can be correct to argue against.

ENTP's can't ever seem to hide a smile when they do this and therefore you can see right through them.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Circle View Post
    I don't understand where this behavior comes from. Is it because they've spent so much time around people that this works on? What is the best way to respond so that the argument can be settled without stooping to the same level? Thanks in advance.
    They like to yank your crank, and enjoy seeing you get in a tizzy when you confront such an argument.

Obviously it worked.
    No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full." Lucius Cornelius Sulla

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    I hate arguing semantics in serious matters. I do do it in fun discussions to frustrate people though.
    Almost all ENTP's do that, and i'm pretty sure that's what our friend is running in to!

I do it to people on purpose who are taking an argument too seriously.........not just semantics, though, i'll stir all sorts of logical arguments and illogical arguments, and even a few logical fallacies in to the argument just to see what they come up with in response.
    No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full." Lucius Cornelius Sulla