User Tag List

123 Last

Default Ways to frustrate an NT!

My "simple logic FAIL" topic is still lingering around, so I figured I'd like to ask you guys what ELSE frustrates you?

1. It frustrates me when friends respond to text messages with the shortest possible responses that barely say anything, which results ultimately in several more messages of unnecessary probing.

If I were messaged, "What are you doing tonight?" I would respond either "I don't really have any plans, What do you have in mind?" or "I'm afraid I'm going to be working late tonight... maybe we could do supper afterwards if you're keen?", or "I'm really tired and exhausted, I think I'm just going to go to bed. Sorry man =\"

If I were to message my ESFP friend "What are you doing tonight? Wanna hang out?" he would reply "dunno maybe" or "k". It's practically redundant and doesn't say anything. Irks me! (And he's not trying to avoid me or anything- he's a good friend and is usually the one who wants to hang out!)

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Well my friend today does what she always does: sat next to me when I was doing work and concentrating hard, and started asking me "Why" questions: i.e. "WHY did she say that!?" "WHY do we have to do it like that!?" "WHY did the deadline get changed from 2pm to 11am!?" (in an email which we both got at the same time). In other words asking me to answer questions I couldn't possibly know the answer for, and at the same asking for the "reasons" behind plain facts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fatalist, I do question the world, but there has to be some coherent alternative. If you're asking me "why did the deadline just get mvoed from the afternoon to the morning, it's so unfair!?", I think, well, Dresden got firebombed, Hiroshima got nuked, and Haiti got razed by an earthquake, why shouldn't the deadline have moved from 2pm to 11am FFS. If you are able to make the deadline change back to 2pm then great, I might even help if you can tell me how, but but don't keep asking me why!
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

^I feel your pain! I get frustrated with "Why?!" questions too because those are questions that you can usually answer yourselves if you take the time and effort, and often the answer doesn't actually matter.

The deadline moved; there must have been a good reason for it. Even if there wasn't, it's not going to change anything. What matters is what you're going to do about it, so why harp on what doesn't matter when there's something more important to do?

Sigh.

MBTI
    entp

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Well my friend today does what she always does: sat next to me when I was doing work and concentrating hard, and started asking me "Why" questions: i.e. "WHY did she say that!?" "WHY do we have to do it like that!?" "WHY did the deadline get changed from 2pm to 11am!?" (in an email which we both got at the same time). In other words asking me to answer questions I couldn't possibly know the answer for, and at the same asking for the "reasons" behind plain facts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fatalist, I do question the world, but there has to be some coherent alternative. If you're asking me "why did the deadline just get mvoed from the afternoon to the morning, it's so unfair!?", I think, well, Dresden got firebombed, Hiroshima got nuked, and Haiti got razed by an earthquake, why shouldn't the deadline have moved from 2pm to 11am FFS. If you are able to make the deadline change back to 2pm then great, I might even help if you can tell me how, but but don't keep asking me why!
    hahahaah lol

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yup, like has already been said:

1. Non-informative answers, requiring me to pry over and OVER again, whereas I try to at least always give enough for someone to go on.

2. People who want to know answers to questions that have no real answer and just need to be taken at face value.

3. People who create drama where no drama needed to be.

4. People who force others to accommodate arbitrary deadlines and/or constraints. Bonus Annoyance: When such deadlines/constraints are actually counterproductive. Bonus BONUS Annoyance: People who label others as immoral, incompetent, etc., when they cannot meet the counterproductive, arbitrary restraints.

5. People who insist on remaining ignorant (even if it shoots them in the foot) rather than willing to at least examine intelligently other views, ideas, and methods.

6. Whiners who expect others to coddle them or solve their problems FOR them or give them all the answers. Bonus Annoyance: When there are no answers and they still demand them.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Way's to annoy this specific NT:

Never (ever ever) ask me this question:
    "What're you thinking right now?"
    Because you'll never (ever ever) get a truthful answer even though I hate lying. (This is probably more of an introvert thing than an NT thing.)

Don't tell me all about your problem if you don't want me to ponder ways to solve it. I'm simply not the 'go-to' person for sympathy/empathy, and you'll just be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

4. People who force others to accommodate arbitrary deadlines and/or constraints. Bonus Annoyance: When such deadlines/constraints are actually counterproductive. Bonus BONUS Annoyance: People who label others as immoral, incompetent, etc., when they cannot meet the counterproductive, arbitrary restraints.
    I think that is a P thing rather than NT. Yea, I hate people who won't let me work at my own pace and force deadlines on me.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    I think that is a P thing rather than NT. Yea, I hate people who won't let me work at my own pace and force deadlines on me.
    Not so sure.

Like you and Jennifer, arbitrary deadlines (especially when set in opposition to the ultimate, shared goal) frustrate progress. And, depending on context, not just frustrate progress: trainwreck it.

I don't even think it's necessarily an N v. S breakdown. More of a type-independent desire to micromanage outcome, irrespective of cost.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Take everything I say extremely personally, or infer emotionality from my behavior when there is none.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    Explanation: I think the keyword for me is "arbitrary."

NTs to me seem better at having relevant deadlines, S's seem to have deadlines just to have deadlines (from my perspective) and can't see that sometimes the deadlines can easily be moved to accommodate task needs and improve final outcome.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft