User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 152

  1. #61
    Senior Membrane spirilis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni
    Posts
    2,652

    Default

    Hm, I know at least one entp who goes through those up & down spurts... but here's my situation-

    Focusing on a job and doing it well (or have done it well for 7.5 years, to the point that I hardly have to think to do it) while making money on the stock market on the side, stretching my wings out a bit moonlighting on the job. Oops, nobody mention this to my boss
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

  2. #62
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Ehhhh when you work for yourself that's definitely true, when you work for someone I think the correlation can be pretty low among a whole company.
    Sorry - was in a hurry on that last post and did not have time to articulate my response in a clear enough way.

    In a services business, such as architecture, advertising, consulting, outsourcing, law firms, etc you can bet that the people who progress are the ones that contribute to the organization's revenue and bottom line. They have the relationships, eminence, client service capabilities or whatever that allow the company to win deals and maintain recurring revenue. It is very much what matters.

    Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    According to the sterotypes here, you must be a J and have a very large ego to make shitloads of money.

    I am going to prove this sterotype wrong.

    For every P that feels hopeless making to the billionare's club, read Softwar:An Intimate Potrait of Larry Ellison. Larry Ellison is about the most P billionare I have ever known after richard branson.
    I think that a lot of Ps are very successful. However, IMHO, the odds are not as good in a bureaucracy.

  3. #63
    Priestess Of Syrinx Katsuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?
    Posts
    1,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    The main thing I learned from public school was that I was going to be really successful without trying. This worked for me through college, and then I realized that, despite all my past experiences, you actually have to try to get anywhere in real life.

    Still working on that...but trust me, you can't bullshit your way into a successful career or a lot of money without trying. Unfortunately the N magic runs out and you're stuck actually having to learn things, study and work hard. It's a bitch, I know, but better to learn sooner than later.
    This's something I'm admittedly learning myself now being in college as well right now.

    Everything was so easy before, handed to me on a plate. I would demand it be platinum because silver just wasn't good enough for me, and request they take it back.

    It's taking effort now, but at the same time, the learning curve is still amazing, but it still takes time and effort, two things I'm not known for managing well.

    We'll see how this turns out. If I get my act together, I will slaughter the competition with ease. If I remain lethargic, it may not work out so well.

  4. #64
    wholly charmed Spartacuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    677

    Default

    I realize the preference for unsubstantiated statements but does anyone have any actual research on this?
    Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)
    The More You Know the Less You Need. - Aboriginal Saying

  5. #65
    Alexander the Terrible yenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,755

    Default

    I think INTP is one of the most underestimated types when it comes to making money.
    I am sure there are alot of rich INTPs in this world.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

    "In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

    Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

  6. #66
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacuss View Post
    I realize the preference for unsubstantiated statements but does anyone have any actual research on this?
    A couple things:

    This is about investing, but some of the points are quite relevant.
    Type and Money > Articles > MBTI® TYPE TODAY

    Then there is this:
    Enneagram and MBTI distribution statistics

  7. #67
    Senior Member INTPness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    2,158

    Default

    I am not doomed to fail because I am an INTP. I'm not incapable of making good money because I'm "I" or because I'm "P". Both of these personality characteristics do present interesting challenges, however!

    And to entropie, I understand what you are saying about not stereotyping too much. I get it. But, that's why I gave a disclaimer and worded things in a certain way in the OP as to not portray the idea that we are "stuck in a certain type and can't escape", because I don't think that way. But, still, it's a fact that if we took an accurate, random sample of the various types (representative of the overall human population), we would find certain trends. There's no doubt about that. And that's really all I was doing in listing what I have observed with the types that I know personally. I was looking at the trends. That doesn't give me an excuse (because I'm INTP) to give up and not work hard. I'm an individual and I can accomplish things because of or in spite of my type. But, the trends are still there and they are fun to look at.

    You don't see many ESFJ's as CEO's. But, you do see quite a few ENTJ's. It's reality and there are certain factors that make it so.

  8. #68
    Priestess Of Syrinx Katsuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?
    Posts
    1,238

    Default

    Pft, yeu're not "stuck in a certain type and can't escape" as many people seem to think... the "types" are very very broad generalizations which still cover vast expanses. A 3w4 ENTP would be massively different from a 7w6 ENTP, despite both being ENTP.

    And even then, it can be split far farther than that as well.

    Yeur "type" is yeur preference and how yeu generally tend to react by default and whot yeur values are. These may influence yeur work habits, or which positions yeu may happen to take that're available to yeu, but there's alot of external things that change that too... who yeu know, which opportunities yeu had such as schooling, and things like that have a far greater effect.

    On AVERAGE though, an ENTP, speaking of myself as example as I'm really not qualified to talk about others, will GENERALLY bounce between career paths frequently... I know I get bored of things easily, hence I took a career path which this is NORMAL to occur... 3d animation in film/games, where yeu could be working on a movie one month doing lighting effects, and the next month rigging models for a game, and a year later be doing animations for cutscenes for a different company entirely.

    If yeu take yeur strengths and work with them, mine being adaptability to changing environments as one of my strongest, and do whot yeu enjoy, yeu'll generally end up making good wages no matter whot it is yeu do.

    Those who can't figure out whot they want to do will flail about like fish out of water, regardless of type. Though some are more resistant to such than others, as STJ's for example will tend to have a very solid work ethic regardless of their personal feelings of the job. That's a generality of course, but anyways.

    The idea, though, is that yeu aren't "stuck" in yeur stereotype... yeu are "stuck" in yeur TYPE, that won't really change as such, yeu just may not understand yeurself well enough to type yeurself correctly before that is all. But the stereotypes? No, there's too many different variations on a theme... and that's all a type is... a generalized theme which has several core values, but alot of latitude on how they express those values.

    That is also why yeu won't see HUGE differences in pay grades from different types... some types may be more likely to prefer high paying jobs (lawyer, doctor, accountant, something with lots of long long long hours of study), while another may prefer something which lets them MAKE stuff, regardless of whether it pays well or not (and more than a few starving artists will drag down the average), HOWEVER, it doesn't mean they ALL will do whot they prefer... I'm sure there's more than a few people out there doing jobs their mindset just flat out isn't specialized for, but they do it anyway. Are there jobs I could get that pay better than whot I'm studying for? Well yeah, but I don't want those. Another ENTP might be willing to take those opportunities anyway out of curiousity whereas I'm interested in whot I'm aiming for regardless of the pay. That's individual, not type.

    So really, type doesn't have that big of a difference. Anyone can be mostly anything (well no yeu may not be capable of being a ballerina, and yeu may not be physically built to be an astronaut, but it doesn't mean yeu're forced to work at mcdonald's either), within reason, it's just some types PREFER certain jobs that generally pay better. Whether they actually go with that line of work or not is up to the individual, not the type, to decide.

  9. #69
    Senior Member INTPness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    2,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    yeu may not be capable of being a ballerina, and yeu may not be physically built to be an astronaut...
    Some great points in your post, but in regards to your statement above:

    Surely if it's possible that a person is not capable (as you say) of being some "thing" because they don't have the right physical make-up or physical talent..................

    then it must also be possible that the way their individual brain works could also make them just as incapable of certain jobs?

    If I can't be a ballerina because I can't overcome physical obstacles, then maybe some others can't be rich because of mental obstacles/ways of thinking.

    I don't agree with that, BTW, but that's what it sounds like you might be implying.

    If your average ESFJ can "overcome" and be a great CEO, then I can "overcome" and be a ballerina just the same.

  10. #70
    wholly charmed Spartacuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    This is about investing, but some of the points are quite relevant.
    Type and Money > Articles > MBTI® TYPE TODAY

    Then there is this:
    Enneagram and MBTI distribution statistics
    Sweet. kind of what I was looking for. And where do they get the stats? Most people don't seem to have much of a background on what MBTI is. I wonder about their sample since "participants" were not quantified.


    Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    I am not doomed to fail because I am an INTP. I'm not incapable of making good money because I'm "I" or because I'm "P". Both of these personality characteristics do present interesting challenges, however!
    I don't understand where this "failure" prediction comes in. Much like I don't people who use their type as a crutch. A type's just descriptive; it's not an oracle. They should call themselves bums and be done with it.

    /still not intJ.
    Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)
    The More You Know the Less You Need. - Aboriginal Saying

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] NT's and Love?
    By Mondo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 08-03-2008, 01:36 AM
  2. [NT] NT's and fluffy clouds :o)
    By labyrinthine in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-31-2008, 12:18 PM
  3. Odd idea about (some) NT's and NF's.
    By Athenian200 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-13-2008, 11:16 PM
  4. [NT] NT's and cheating
    By GirlAmerica in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-20-2007, 09:37 PM
  5. [NT] The NT Rationale and Rightness
    By Spartan in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-20-2007, 05:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO