User Tag List

MBTI
    eNFp
    Enneagram

Default NF to NT via methylphenidate?

My friend tests ENTP. She is on a lot of Concerta, aka (methylphenidate) for ADD. She took has a weak E, and a low T, moderate N, moderate P. Before this She tested ENFP.
    How much do you think drugs affect personality?

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by hermeticdancer View Post
    My friend tests ENTP. She is on a lot of Concerta, aka (methylphenidate) for ADD. She took has a weak E, and a low T, moderate N, moderate P. Before this She tested ENFP.
    weed kinda evens the energy between weaker and stronger functions, but doesent make all the functions work the same time in same strenght, but allows/makes you to use weaker functions better when stoned. allso atleast some functions can be trained when stoned, like my pretty high Fi is pretty much caused by smoking weed and using Fi when stoned.

i think the reason that some people cant mentally handle smoking weed or atleast smoking it much is because they cant handle theyr weaker functions well
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENTp

Don't forget, that ENTPs and ENFPs can be hard to distinguish, and that the tests don't work with 100% correctness. Maybe she mistyped herself in one of the tests, so it's the best to let her read about the type-profiles and decide after that. Even then it's possible, that she's a very sensitive ENTP and is mistyping herself. You can try the test about cognitive functions.

To the drugs: Of course they can affect the behavior, and the thoughts. If she took them regularly, this influence can last longer.
    ** Upgrading my english **
    Corrections for my language are willingly seen

Enneagram: 7w6

I took MP for awhile in grad school. I had hypothyroidism but was in an HMO.

Based on my guesses now:

There was a massive Fe feeling the first few weeks. Very odd. Went away.

Otherwise, I noted a substantial increase in Si and Te.

Once I was sittng in an EnM class. Normally I didnt have enough Ti to be great honestly. However I could Ne my way through the topic to get the gist. What I noticed is that on the MP, I could identify every single detail, every single step of the equations and picked up errors that I never realized I was making.

I just couldnt figure out why I was doing the problem anymore-my Ne was all gone.

Watch her when the meds wear off-observe the boomerang effect which should be the opposite. If she is an ENFP, you might see some Te rage/irritability as the meds are metabolized and a surge in Ne hyperspace cadet.

MBTI
    ENTP

They don't (or aren't supposed to) change personality types. However ADD drugs have been known to surpress "personality" a common side effect usually described as "zombie."

I have not switched types when changing dosages or when on or off or anything of that sort.

There are other possible reasons. Like attitude changes due to some sort of major realization. I can see where learning you have ADD might count. (I wouldn't know, I was young when I was introduced to this concept) There are also many other things that can change outlook on life.

NOTE: Different drugs work differently on different people.
    For me concerta (I'm also on a very high dose) has actually had the least "zombie" effect on me. (well except vyvanse which didn't even do what if was intended to do)

In case you're curious.
    My E is through the roof, moderate N, Moderate T, and a moderate P

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

What is her dosage?
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    eNFp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nescio View Post
    They don't (or aren't supposed to) change personality types. However ADD drugs have been known to surpress "personality" a common side effect usually described as "zombie."

I have not switched types when changing dosages or when on or off or anything of that sort.

P
    Thank you for the insightful feedback and personal experience. I know people must be jumping out of their skins to share their drug info online.

What caught my attention is when you said, suppress personality. I agree with that. And what the previous poster said, how they felt less flighty.

Am i assuming that to be correct? Too much dopamine, x neurotransmitter=zombie, the right dose helps the person focus and enhances concentration and mental functioning, alertness... right?

Too much, or too little, well that is no good, pharmacology, right? And the ritalin, versus adderall, depends on the person I am assuming...

I have noticed that drugs do, change, and affect personality, I will go out on a limb and say that not only stimulants, like at first they can make you gitty, then just after a while, they crap out... and have to keep upping the dosage... or adding on SSRI's, or get XR versions, holidays, switch... etc.

I think that other meds like anti-seizure meds, For example the drug Topamax in high doses, has a nick name Dopamax, for its reputation for making you dumb in high doses. It effects the Temporal lobes in the cerebral cortex and effects memory. It impairs global cognitive functioning, impairs memory, can make people more aggressive, likely to blurt things out, and act emotionally liable, road rage personality, fuzzy and incoherent, and not as caring. It can really can affect your personality, changing your brain chemically. Also disease processes, Dementia, Brain damage, hypoglycemia, sleep apnea, night shift work, sleep deprivation, alcohol, Anti-psychotic medications, lithium, bipolar medications, blood pressure meds, vitamin deficiency, chemical poisoning, hidden infections and tumors, drug addiction, and environmental factors and depression, I believe
    can affect your personality too...

Any other opinions
    Last edited by hermeticdancer; 03-08-2010 at 05:56 PM.

Senior Member ChildoftheProphets's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP

Hmm, you should check out my posts on the possible chemical basis of personality in this thread:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ons-tests.html

(Particularly my last on page 1 and the two on page 2)

Anyway, thank you for this look at drug side effects H. Dancer; it's very interesting stuff.
    "In the opening and shutting of heaven's gate, are you able to play the feminine part?" -- Lao Tzu

"For when the One Great Scorer comes
    To write against your name,
    He marks - not that you won or lost -
    But how you played the Game."
    -- Grantland Rice

Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules. -- from The Catcher in the Rye

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do, and what a man can't do." -- Jack Sparrow

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I took 60 mg of Methylphenidate/Ritalin per day for three years and it did not affect my personality one bit, it allowed me to sit still and concentrate.

I currently take 60 mg of Dextroamphetamine/Adderall per day and alo attest that it does not affect my personality either.

If you have ADD or ADHD, all these drugs do is allow you to focus, that's it.

If a person that does not have ADD or ADHD were given 60mg of Ritalin or Adderall in a day they would be running around like a speed freak, because their nervous system is different, it does not require a "kick" for normal events to register, and thus stimulants make them do more of what they already do but faster.

Coffee doesn't wake me up; I drink it because it tastes good with cake and donuts.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro