• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] TypeC INTPs versus INTPc INTPs

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Do you think anything tends to separate the kind of INTP who prefers TypeC over INTPc, and vice versa? Is the TypeC INTP more likely to be social? Less likely to be a self-preservation Enneagram type? Less misanthropic? Maturity? Any trends you might see?

I was on INTPc for a while, and it was enjoyable, but I never really poked around here. But now I definitely favor this site over INTPc.

I'd be interested in hearing what INTPs and non-INTPs have to say on this.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A TypologyCentral INTP might appreciate adversity and bantering to a higher degree.

VagrantFarce

Seems like any other internet forum to me. Which probably points to mysanthropy more than anything. :D

However, the idea that we are some how superior because we supposedly have a wider range of types is just being silly.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
the ones here are less pointy than the ones over there come across as usually- more relaxed about posting here and more likely to be happy to interact (if that's what you call what intps do! :laugh:) with other types

the intps here don't gang up on other types and usually leave the bragging about how they're so much smarter than anyone else to the INTJs

that's just the impression I get... I've lurked over there a bit, and occasionally wander over to poke at a certain member there who doesn't come here often enough, but that's about it! :)

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
INTPc certainly has its charm. There's much greater range of academic discussion points available at any given time than there is on TypoC - that's for sure.

That said, the site is steeped in meta-analysis (probably to be expected when emphasis is square on a single type) which can become tiresome. Of particular note is the tendency to self-congratulate when it comes to matters of "intellect" as an INTP. This is likely just defensive posturing as a response to social alienation experienced offline.

Oh, and INTPs tend to cluster their identity when in groups. It's kind of a weird social phenomenon.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Seems like any other internet forum to me. Which probably points to mysanthropy more than anything. :D

However, the idea that we are some how superior because we supposedly have a wider range of types is just being silly.

Indeed. I'm actually in a long process of observing/studying/contemplating adversity vs. conformity/homogeneity/etc.
Pros and cons, mostly. Adversity wins, so far, but it is much more volatile.
But it makes the engine run, so to speak.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
INTPc certainly has its charm. There's much greater range of academic discussion points available at any given time than there is on TypoC - that's for sure.

That said, the site is steeped in meta-analysis (probably to be expected when emphasis is square on a single type) which can become tiresome. Of particular note is the tendency to self-congratulate when it comes to matters of "intellect" as an INTP. This is likely just defensive posturing as a response to matters of social alienation experienced offline.

Basically this. I also use it for good entertainment recommendations. Books, movies, activities, etc.

This place just has a quicker pace, and is more about typology than the other place, which is what I was attracted to in the first place.

Oh, and INTPs tend to cluster their identity when in groups. It's kind of a weird social phenomenon.

This is something I found very bizarre and quite humorous. It's like the thought process is: "Wow! I finally found a similar classification of people into which I can pigeonhole myself; just like the rest of those stupid, boring people I hate!" And for some reason this is exciting.

Not really something I ever found myself relating to.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

You noticed this too, huh? ESFJ shadow alert!

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
This place is faster, coddles more and is more tolerant of things that irk INTPs. It's more ESFP-ish.

INTPc has more assholes and is more rough and tumble on everyone. It's not as hospitable to certain types of posting, and this makes it refreshing to some INTPs.

Why does it have more assholes? Because INTP-type assholes are not welcome here, but well tolerated there. And because the main assholes have been there long enough that they have lots of influence, madmin or not.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This place is faster, coddles more and is more tolerant of things that irk INTPs. It's more ESFP-ish.

Anything is more ESFP-ish than an INTx.
If the site was truly "ESFP-ish," I doubt I'd be here at all.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper

INTPc has more assholes and is more rough and tumble on everyone. It's not as hospitable to certain types of posting, and this makes it refreshing to some INTPs.

Why does it have more assholes? Because INTP-type assholes are not welcome here, but well tolerated there. And because the main assholes have been there long enough that they have lots of influence, madmin or not.

Really? More rough and tumble? Please. It may seem so, because most of the people there have zero spines and cannot be in the presence of a dominant personality without wetting themselves, but if anything I find it is largely the same, just more prone to groupthink and stereotype reinforcement.

That doesn't mean the forum is without value. Just need a different approach to get to the real meat.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

I keep seeing people say this, but I just don't remember INTPc being that mean of a place, during the whole time I was there. This place has more drama, at least.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Really? More rough and tumble? Please. It may seem so, because most of the people there have zero spines and cannot be in the presence of a dominant personality without wetting themselves, but if anything I find it is largely the same, just more prone to groupthink and stereotype reinforcement.

That doesn't mean the forum is without value. Just need a different approach to get to the real meat.

I've noticed that, too. Less independence of mind in favor of buying into a dominant groupthink mentality reinforced by certain influential members.

Of course, this isn't the case with everyone. There are some pretty creative folks over there. Djm is a good example. He's low profile, and maintains a baseline interest that's unswerved by INTPc "pop culture".

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I keep seeing people say this, but I just don't remember INTPc being that mean of a place, during the whole time I was there. This place has more drama, at least.

I don't know if I would call it "mean" either, at this point.
It's just a different way of thinking from the culture here.

There are some things that happen there that might come across as mean or cold but really are being dealt out without personal malice. Even some of the stuff that might sound malicious to some people is more just a response to the post rather than the person.

By Fe standards, though, I can see why some people see it as mean, unwelcomiong, or just crass/rude.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know if I would call it "mean" either, at this point.
It's just a different way of thinking from the culture here.

There are some things that happen there that might come across as mean or cold but really are being dealt out without personal malice. Even some of the stuff that might sound malicious to some people is more just a response to the post rather than the person.

By Fe standards, though, I can see why some people see it as mean, unwelcoming, or just crass/rude.
Having that reputation can exacerbate the reactions from people with Fe or whatever. The reputation and expectation of "meanness" has brought out the worst in some people coming to the site. There is a way that some non-INTPs have trolled the site by coming there expecting a fight and then responding by pushing the buttons they have to know will be exceptionally annoying. It creates a framework in which there is then an expectation for judgment and trolling from non-INTPs in general. Miscommunication can become escalated. Perhaps the point of the single type sites is to hone one style of communication, but even within a single type, there isn't one approach to communication by a long-shot.

For my own Fe, I have found it disturbing when someone is placed on display for a vulnerability as a form of punishment (i.e. the threads drawing attention to a poster for an insecurity). Having known people with mental problems, being suicidal, and other vulnerabilities, I find it potentially disturbing. Establishing trust first increases accuracy in communication when the intent is help and not harm. I don't know if that has ever been an actual problem for the recipient. I don't have a settled opinion about the motivation for those doing it, but see a long history of similar processes used to establish social norms in many societies. That approach is proven effective on that social level, and it does happen in many settings. I reacted to that a couple of times, but I don't think it was particularly useful on my part.

The blunt responses to ideas is useful in discussion for bringing the best ideas to light quickly. It is only destructive if it evolves into social maneuvering which can spiral down into intellectual dishonesty in any setting.

R

Riva

I don't have a settled opinion about the motivation for those doing it, but see a long history of similar processes used to establish social norms in many societies. That approach is proven effective on that social level, and it does happen in many settings.

Hazing.

I think that is what the INTPc do there.

At INTPc the culture is you get hazed. You either survive or you don't.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I've noticed that, too. Less independence of mind in favor of buying into a dominant groupthink mentality reinforced by certain influential members.

These kids need guides or prophets, hence the "clique" atmosphere, hence the paradoxes.

Basically, most of them are lost within the real world.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
I didn't read too deep into INTPc. I just noticed this place shortly afterward and got a better welcome.

Pretty shallow, eh?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hazing.

I think that is what the INTPc do there.

At INTPc the culture is you get hazed. You either survive or you don't.
Yeah, that combined with social problem solving. It is important to have different styles on different sites so most people can find a niche that suits them. I can imagine having a blunt style of communication and always being accused of being mean could get rather old after a while.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Keep in mind that this is only my opinion, and that I have not spent any substantial time as a member there (though I have frequently lurked), but it seemed to me that the site had a greater proportion of members that were (1) unabashed by topical ignorance and (2) consequently lacking in intelligent argumentative restraint. There seem to be far fewer INTPs of that nature operating here.