User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Really? More rough and tumble? Please. It may seem so, because most of the people there have zero spines and cannot be in the presence of a dominant personality without wetting themselves, but if anything I find it is largely the same, just more prone to groupthink and stereotype reinforcement.

That doesn't mean the forum is without value. Just need a different approach to get to the real meat.
    Hey, I don't discount your bad experience there. To me, both forums have their flaws, though TypoC seems more interested in INTPc's flaws than vice versa.

I don't think it's fair to say that people there have zero spines. SOME people there have no spines, and some are always getting into trouble with more established cliques. In any given day you have poster wars. Some don't give a shit about the monkey antics of longstanding bullies and don't participate. You were there - did you get into long arguments there? if not, were you spineless or were you apathetic?

and cannot be in the presence of a dominant personality without wetting themselves.
    Please elaborate.

but if anything I find it is largely the same, just more prone to groupthink and stereotype reinforcement.

That doesn't mean the forum is without value. Just need a different approach to get to the real meat.
    I find both places prone to enormous groupthink, though about different topics. INTPc's political echo chamber, for example, is notorious. And ironic stereotype peddling is so tired.

I also think there's too much deference to veteran, ex-admin posters, the most obnoxious of whom is, IMHO, mistyped though he has much pull among the sheep-like members.

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I keep seeing people say this, but I just don't remember INTPc being that mean of a place, during the whole time I was there. This place has more drama, at least.
    I don't know what it was like back in the day when you posted, but it seems to me people go at each other in ways we would consider below the belt here. With the exception of a few choice members here, there's less "niceness" in argument.
    Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)
    The More You Know the Less You Need. - Aboriginal Saying

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacuss View Post
    Hey, I don't discount your bad experience there. To me, both forums have their flaws, though TypoC seems more interested in INTPc's flaws than vice versa.
    Not so much bad experience, but more of me never having a desire to participate. And I think INTPc doesn't concern itself with this place due to some kind of conscious effort, but more a byproduct of having a more narrow worldview.

I don't think it's fair to say that people there have zero spines. SOME people there have no spines, and some are always getting into trouble with more established cliques. In any given day you have poster wars. Some don't give a shit about the monkey antics of longstanding bullies and don't participate. You were there - did you get into long arguments there? if not, were you spineless or were you apathetic?
    Of course not everyone is spineless. Whenever one speaks in generalizations, you're always going to have exceptions. It's just a trend I observe. And to answer your question, I'd say my infrequent post count and terse responses are the result of apathy.

I have noticed a general inability to resist being baited by insults, and that hypersensitivity can send members into hilarious displays of self-defense: consider the recent TNE vs. Qualia issue. This quality I associate with spinelessness.

Please elaborate.
    You actually explain it yourself in this quote:
    I also think there's too much deference to veteran, ex-admin posters, the most obnoxious of whom is, IMHO, mistyped though he has much pull among the sheep-like members.

I haven't entrenched myself enough to get a feel for who are the good and the bad, like I have here, which may lead me to paint INTPc with a broader brush than is deserved.

MBTI
    INTP

What's the history of the two forums? Which one came first, and how did it come about?

Did typec and other MBTI general forums come about first, and then certain types branched out to their own single-type focused forums, or were single-type forums the first to appear which made people decide that there needed to be some more diverse hubs?

I'm slightly inclined to believe the former, though I am really not sure. If we are to explain the relations and differences of the board's intp's, then it could very well be that one has watched the other grow and thus retains a curiosity in it. If it is the former, maybe the INTP's tech and internet ways led them to be the first single-type forum, and if it is "central", then maybe in branched from typec.

It could also be because INTP's are "behind the scenes". Here on typec it's easy to go around posting and remain relatively unnoticed with the diverse array and vast quantity of viewpoints. When put "in charge"... we INTPs may get a little, well... :SaiyanSmilie_anim:

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    What's the history of the two forums? Which one came first, and how did it come about?

Did typec and other MBTI general forums come about first, and then certain types branched out to their own single-type focused forums, or were single-type forums the first to appear which made people decide that there needed to be some more diverse hubs?

I'm slightly inclined to believe the former, though I am really not sure. If we are to explain the relations and differences of the board's intp's, then it could very well be that one has watched the other grow and thus retains a curiosity in it. If it is the former, maybe the INTP's tech and internet ways led them to be the first single-type forum, and if it is "central", then maybe in branched from typec.

It could also be because INTP's are "behind the scenes". Here on typec it's easy to go around posting and remain relatively unnoticed with the diverse array and vast quantity of viewpoints. When put "in charge"... we INTPs may get a little, well... :SaiyanSmilie_anim:
    Someone else can revise this because my experience goes back four years and is based only as a participant and not a planner. There was a place called iNuitive Central for N types that served as something of general site (this could also be a reason for lower representations of S's). That site closed which increased the number of non-INTP posters at INTPc. There developed tension on the site to preserve a primarily INTP culture and preference. This site was born as part of a way to resolve the issue. I can't remember the date but it was pretty close to my join date. There is still an attempt to divide the two groups, to keep the cultures distinct between the two sites, and to draw types to their designated sites (non-INTPs here).
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I just think it's kind of boring to have a site dedicated to only one type... ANY one type

it's like eating a bag of same flavor jelly beans... they might be nice individually, but en masse they get tiring and a bit overwhelming... you need variety to be able to enjoy any type

it's not necissarily the individual intps there- it's just that there's so damned many of them
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Pros: It seems freer there; at least as far as substance, venting and breaking social norms. Less official censorship. Ideas are attacked by merit or rhetoric but not on the feeling/moralizing/ small town censorship rant we often get here. Also more free to talk shit. This is nice for us INTPs because irl we, in general, withhold much of our incisive side in favor of harmony. Outlet from Typo C. Good TP viewing of issue without all the demagoguery/emoting (or when it does happen it takes itself less seriously).

Cons: Hazing. Cliques and clique politics rising above merit. Self alienation of some insightful members. Fair amount of unquestioned intelligentsia balderdash. Procedural/social censorship (i.e. ad hominem attacks, derailing, ridicule, ignoring outside clique/regulars, and perpetuated rudeness) based less on substance and merit and more on the pecking order. No apparent desire to improve self. Repetitive tired humor attempts by same old members supported by reach arounds of other in same clique/regulars chronic poster grouping.

Personal experience: For non INTPs in general probable best to mostly lurk. If INTP try and post and keep expectations low but raise your own standards as to the value of the posts you publish. Worth it for the occasional gems and fresh ideas to keep coming back over time. Bring/steal some of there better ideas and bring them back here.

As for me. They are nicer and less hazing now, but at this point I have been soured by the experience in general. I wouldn't recommend it beyond lurking to non INTPs except maybe ENTPs or INTJs. When I am there I talk shit about INTPc and they don't seem to mind except for the one time I tried to brainstorm ideas to fix it which apparently threatened some. I would recommend INTP to go there and post occasionally and come back here until they establish themselves there after a period of time and get the 250 posts (250 decent but succinct posts; not fluff even though a lot of the regulars fluff it up in general fluff by newbies is looked down upon) necessary to post in the INTP only section (where it seems a bit more civil and open for intelligent discourse).
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Do you think anything tends to separate the kind of INTP who prefers TypeC over INTPc, and vice versa? Is the TypeC INTP more likely to be social? Less likely to be a self-preservation Enneagram type? Less misanthropic? Maturity? Any trends you might see?

I was on INTPc for a while, and it was enjoyable, but I never really poked around here. But now I definitely favor this site over INTPc.

I'd be interested in hearing what INTPs and non-INTPs have to say on this.
    I was gonna say, you're definitely an INTPc sort of INTP.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post

Since it's general knowledge for people who were around:

With TypeC and INTPc, INTPc started first.

There were some other attempts at "full type diversity" sites (N-central I think was one?) that failed. (probably mostly due to faulty vision or poor site dynamic management). EDIT: Ooops, go back and look at Toonia's post, she has the timeline better here.

INTPc started to attract a lot of N's... including lots of NFs.

The local INTPs did not like this. INTPs often felt so marginalized in normal society that INTPc had become their "haven" and home where they could just screw off and be themselves and not worry about tailoring their comments, but now a bunch of F types were showing up and imposing values inadvertently on the original culture. It was changing the nature of the dialogue and the style of conversation, as well as choking some of the conversations INTPs wanted to have.

The trouble is that the NF's still liked INTPc no matter how they were abused on the forum.

Things got pretty ugly in Spring 2007. There was almost an entire forum meltdown and the topic consumed forum energy for a month or two.

A few of us volunteered to staff TypeC (at the time, known as MBTIc), as part of encouraging non-INTPs to move to a new site with many of the same people, where they would no longer conflict with the needs of the INTPs over at INTPc. We got a lot of members from there to move over here to seed THIS site.

This site has always done fairly well and continued to grow and develop an independent life of its own from INTPs. But because it was seeded from INTPc, and the same people own both sites, this helps explain why a chunk of mod staff here has been active on both sites, etc.

The whole goal of this site has always been to get more of a full composite of MBTI types and encourage interaction between types. It was never meant to be a homogeneous environ. This sometimes causes more friction as various types interact, and it demands more moderation since more variance needs to be tolerated and respected within the forum than INTPc (which can mostly monitor itself since people have similar needs and styles there).

There is a still an INxx leaning here, partly because we were seeded from INTPc and partly because INxx's tend to predominate on forums due to the dynamics of the personality and less SJ and ESP types (etc.) tend to invest full-scale on forums.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    nnnn

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Oh, and INTPs tend to cluster their identity when in groups. It's kind of a weird social phenomenon.
    It's the great INTP irony. Si-Fe.

I prefer INTPc to this place.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

For the love of peace. I truly wonder if Keirsey would be rolling in his grave if he saw this (he is dead, right?).

At least between N and S there's an excuse for poor communication.

I have NT friends; we respect our differences, and charish our similarities.

Brace yourselves, I'm going to sound stereotypically Fe:
    Why the hell can't we all just get along, damn it?!
    Love is the point.