User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacuss View Post
    This place is faster, coddles more and is more tolerant of things that irk INTPs. It's more ESFP-ish.

INTPc has more assholes and is more rough and tumble on everyone. It's not as hospitable to certain types of posting, and this makes it refreshing to some INTPs.

Why does it have more assholes? Because INTP-type assholes are not welcome here, but well tolerated there. And because the main assholes have been there long enough that they have lots of influence, madmin or not.
    Really? More rough and tumble? Please. It may seem so, because most of the people there have zero spines and cannot be in the presence of a dominant personality without wetting themselves, but if anything I find it is largely the same, just more prone to groupthink and stereotype reinforcement.

That doesn't mean the forum is without value. Just need a different approach to get to the real meat.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacuss View Post
    INTPc has more assholes and is more rough and tumble on everyone. It's not as hospitable to certain types of posting, and this makes it refreshing to some INTPs.

Why does it have more assholes? Because INTP-type assholes are not welcome here, but well tolerated there. And because the main assholes have been there long enough that they have lots of influence, madmin or not.
    I keep seeing people say this, but I just don't remember INTPc being that mean of a place, during the whole time I was there. This place has more drama, at least.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Really? More rough and tumble? Please. It may seem so, because most of the people there have zero spines and cannot be in the presence of a dominant personality without wetting themselves, but if anything I find it is largely the same, just more prone to groupthink and stereotype reinforcement.

That doesn't mean the forum is without value. Just need a different approach to get to the real meat.
    I've noticed that, too. Less independence of mind in favor of buying into a dominant groupthink mentality reinforced by certain influential members.

Of course, this isn't the case with everyone. There are some pretty creative folks over there. Djm is a good example. He's low profile, and maintains a baseline interest that's unswerved by INTPc "pop culture".

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I keep seeing people say this, but I just don't remember INTPc being that mean of a place, during the whole time I was there. This place has more drama, at least.
    I don't know if I would call it "mean" either, at this point.
    It's just a different way of thinking from the culture here.

There are some things that happen there that might come across as mean or cold but really are being dealt out without personal malice. Even some of the stuff that might sound malicious to some people is more just a response to the post rather than the person.

By Fe standards, though, I can see why some people see it as mean, unwelcomiong, or just crass/rude.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I don't know if I would call it "mean" either, at this point.
    It's just a different way of thinking from the culture here.

There are some things that happen there that might come across as mean or cold but really are being dealt out without personal malice. Even some of the stuff that might sound malicious to some people is more just a response to the post rather than the person.

By Fe standards, though, I can see why some people see it as mean, unwelcoming, or just crass/rude.
    Having that reputation can exacerbate the reactions from people with Fe or whatever. The reputation and expectation of "meanness" has brought out the worst in some people coming to the site. There is a way that some non-INTPs have trolled the site by coming there expecting a fight and then responding by pushing the buttons they have to know will be exceptionally annoying. It creates a framework in which there is then an expectation for judgment and trolling from non-INTPs in general. Miscommunication can become escalated. Perhaps the point of the single type sites is to hone one style of communication, but even within a single type, there isn't one approach to communication by a long-shot.

For my own Fe, I have found it disturbing when someone is placed on display for a vulnerability as a form of punishment (i.e. the threads drawing attention to a poster for an insecurity). Having known people with mental problems, being suicidal, and other vulnerabilities, I find it potentially disturbing. Establishing trust first increases accuracy in communication when the intent is help and not harm. I don't know if that has ever been an actual problem for the recipient. I don't have a settled opinion about the motivation for those doing it, but see a long history of similar processes used to establish social norms in many societies. That approach is proven effective on that social level, and it does happen in many settings. I reacted to that a couple of times, but I don't think it was particularly useful on my part.

The blunt responses to ideas is useful in discussion for bringing the best ideas to light quickly. It is only destructive if it evolves into social maneuvering which can spiral down into intellectual dishonesty in any setting.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

Riva

I don't have a settled opinion about the motivation for those doing it, but see a long history of similar processes used to establish social norms in many societies. That approach is proven effective on that social level, and it does happen in many settings.
    Hazing.

I think that is what the INTPc do there.

At INTPc the culture is you get hazed. You either survive or you don't.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I've noticed that, too. Less independence of mind in favor of buying into a dominant groupthink mentality reinforced by certain influential members.
    These kids need guides or prophets, hence the "clique" atmosphere, hence the paradoxes.

Basically, most of them are lost within the real world.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

I didn't read too deep into INTPc. I just noticed this place shortly afterward and got a better welcome.

Pretty shallow, eh?

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    Hazing.

I think that is what the INTPc do there.

At INTPc the culture is you get hazed. You either survive or you don't.
    Yeah, that combined with social problem solving. It is important to have different styles on different sites so most people can find a niche that suits them. I can imagine having a blunt style of communication and always being accused of being mean could get rather old after a while.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Keep in mind that this is only my opinion, and that I have not spent any substantial time as a member there (though I have frequently lurked), but it seemed to me that the site had a greater proportion of members that were (1) unabashed by topical ignorance and (2) consequently lacking in intelligent argumentative restraint. There seem to be far fewer INTPs of that nature operating here.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness