Enneagram
    5w4

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

The real golden rule is youse got the gold youse makes da rulz. Nuck nuk nuk
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I think you guys are missing the point. The Golden Rule asks that we give others the same consideration that we would have given to us. It's not about specific reciprocal acts...you must place yourself in the other person's shoes and think about how you should be treated.
    In this case, it doesn't really seem that this "rule" is very necessarry...why not just say "be considerate"...

I think dismantling these rules by showing their practical consequences, while it may seem literal-minded, is a good thing to do. Do I think that in some circumstances it's ok to bomb, I don't know, an occupying army? Yes. Does that mean I think that the soldier being killed doesn't deserve consideration or that I would like to be killed in his position? No. He may even be a conscript and very much against the war. But some wars, those for liebration, are just. And therefore some people who don't "deserve" to be killed, will be, sadly. But if we were to obey "thou shalt not kill" or "do unto others...", then no war of liebration could ever effectively be fought (we'd have to know the life story of every soldier, or that no bomb might kill a single civilian).

I hope you don't think I am being pedantic, I think that these are genuine problems and that the existence of this abstract "morality" has very much helped unjust social orders to perpetuate themselves - because they are specifically designed so that the plebs will obey them and those at the top will ignore them, and then when threatened with retribution, point to said morality!
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    The real golden rule is youse got the gold youse makes da rulz. Nuck nuk nuk
    Basically, this.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    entp

Do unto others as others unto you

for me, translates to

i expect from others what i give to them

MBTI
    YaYa

Golden rule only applies if it benefits you, either directly or indirectly.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

The 'do onto others as yeu would want done onto yeu' concept is... flawed. This's generally the same mindset as most serial killers who hate themselves. Suicide by proxy more or less...

It's a rather flawed rule, as things yeu don't want done to yeu, others do want, and vice versa. Yeu might like being groped, others may consider it sexual harassment, the golden rule rarely ever works and is a flawed concept from the start as it assumes that everyone wants to be treated identically.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

"The golden rule doesn't make much sense. What if I like things that the person I'm trying to golden rule doesn't? What if I like to be abused, should I abuse them?"

-INTJ friend. I sighed at him (but obviously never forgot it)

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    "Do unto others as others unto you,"?
    As written, it sounds like another way to say "any eye for an eye".

But the golden rule is normally interpreted as "do unto others as you would like others to do unto you." This is a good rule of the thumb for enhancing social cooperation. But it is unworkable as a moral principle to strictly abide by. It would fail on so many levels. I don't think it's even necessary to list examples.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    NTs, what's your view of the Golden Rule, "Do unto others as others unto you,"? Does your auxiliary Te/Ti function approach the Golden Rule based on factual information as opposed to humanitarian information? I'm quite curious to see how you NTs approach ethical questions/problems.
    This is rooted in Christian dogma. A rationalist's best bet is to establish a maxim that is legitimized by reason alone. On that note, Kant's categorical imperative is one such maxim: Can you will the action/decison in question a universal law? If not, it does not have reasonable justification. If I were a moralist, I would be a Kantian. However, I decided long ago that the business of ethics can be no business of mine since my comparative advantage is in logic and cost-benefit analysis.