User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

I don't accept it. It would mean that I expect other people to behave like myself in a given circumstance, which means that I become the standard against which I measure other people's behavior.
    Sometimes I'm grateful that other people do what I can't bring myself to do, and someone it's good that somebody does something I wouldn't do myself (Anyone noticed it's Someday?).
    If everybody behaved like me, mail would take ages to be delivered and people would cease talking to each other in simple phrases. And just because I want to be treated in a certain way doesn't mean that this applies to people in general.

To me, it's more about specific situations than about general principles because there can always be exceptions.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

No I don't apply that type of thinking. I do unto others what I think they would like me to do if I like/respect/am friends with them, just avoid them if I don't like them. I think that type of thinking is flawed, because other people are different from me, and what they expect from others is different from what I expect.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Avis View Post
    I don't accept it. It would mean that I expect other people to behave like myself in a given circumstance, which means that I become the standard against which other people's behavior is measured, and this seems slightly off.
    Sometimes I'm grateful that other people do what I can't bring myself to do, and someone it's good that somebody does something I wouldn't do myself (Anyone noticed it's Someday?).
    If everybody behaved like me, mail would take ages to be delivered and people would cease talking to each other in simple phrases.
    To me, it's more about specific situations than about general principles because there can always be exceptions .
    I don't understand your explanation, but it could just be the way I'm reading it. The rule states that we should do to others as we would want done unto ourselves. So, using your example of delivering mail late: It means that since you would want your own mail delivered on time then you should, in turn, deliver others' mail on time. If you wouldn't want yours delivered on time, then I guess you wouldn't deliver theirs on time. But, most people I know want theirs on time.

I too am lazy sometimes and don't "deliver the goods" in a timely manner, so if that's what you were saying, then I get that. But, even though I'm lazy sometimes, I still desire to have my own mail delivered on time, and therefore others have a right to expect/want that as well.

MBTI
    NICE

Presumably someone who was into bondage & discipline would be unwise to assume that others might fancy a bit of rough and tumble on the basis of "do unto others..."?

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Good to see that most NT's steer clear of abstract "moral dilemmas". As others have said, it really depends on the context. Presumably most christians wouldn't want to be killed, but yet many support the death penalty.

That might sound like a crude example but the point is that abstract moral rules aren't much use in real life - even those who think they believe in them very very rarely are adhere to them properly, because concrete reality has a habit of imposing itself.

I am not amoral though, I believe in morality within time and space, not above it, and based on concrete reality and the needs of people.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I don't understand it at all.... people don't all like to be treated in the same way. They especially would not want to be treated in the way that I like to be treated . I treat people in the way I learn that the want to be treated, and it is entirely different for different people.

MBTI
    INTP

You bring out the worst in me. I did not even know this existed a year ago. Part of me doesn't care. That part of me thinks you deserve it. Prove me wrong--or don't.

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    If the newspaper guy threw your paper on the curb instead of by your door, an early-morning walker would pick it up and throw up on your porch.
    Oh, god. I'm sorry but I can't stop laughing. Just had to point this out!

MBTI
    INTJ

As a general rule, I find it acceptable, but not because of an expectation of reciprocity. It's more...a side effect of the acknowledgement that everyone is an entity like yourself, and therefore has the same capacity to suffer, and that this suffering isn't different in kind from your own. Suffering itself is, by generalisation from the case of the self, therefore to be avoided.

I don't think it can apply universally, though. I accept that there will be situations in which an act that one might generally avoid, on principles like this, may be the lesser of a range of evils.

MBTI
    eNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Martin997 View Post
    i dont like it as a rule for its more complicated than that, it all depends on the deed done, the situation it was done in, the people involved and the relationship between the people (etc. I who "it" has been done to and the one I would retaliate on).
    Oh man.. when i tried telling that to my kindergarten teacher...
    A colleague of the great scientist James Watson remarked that Watson was always lounging around, arguing about problems instead of doing experiments. He concluded that There is more than one way of doing good science.
    It was Watsons form of idleness, the scientist went on to say, that allowed him to solve the greatest of all biological problems: the discovery of the structure of DNA. It's a point worth remembering in a society overly concerned with efficiency.