User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm a Sensor when it comes to Feeling

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Yeah, all NTs have SF as dual functions, it's pretty normal.
    Makes you wonder what they really are, doesn't it?

I've noticed the same thing. But it's more the SJ side with NTs that may emerge, especially during stress.

The mask comes off?

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    well, ok

That damn Sarah McLachlan commercial with the caged kittens and puppies moves me every time, and I just end up wanting to donate all of my money or adopt every single kitten and puppy in the world
    This is like me.

Certain of my core values being targeted evokes a very deep emotional feeling for me. Values. E.g., I am very moved by suffering and cruelty being inflicted on vulnerable people, children, animals, and the cavalier way things in nature is treated for selfish aims. There's a visceral reaction of helplessness (irrationally so), pain (on their behalf) and anger (on their behalf).

Yet, I have a hard time relating how a lot of things affect me personally the way it does. E.g., something inflicted on me negatively will make me feel off, moody, frustrated, and angry enough to take action/fix it, but, I have a hard time figuring out how exactly I feel about the thing. Which feeling is it mostly? Am I sad? Or more angry? Or more frustrated? Or is it despair? Am I disappointed? Do I feel hurt? Which is it, mostly, and why?

No idea.

Unless, it's quite, quite extreme, like, a life-threating illness my mother faced. And, even then, it took a while for me to really get around to actually realizing "I'm sad and feeling helpless/despair". And, then I broke down.

Yet, most things that I experience negatively myself, it feels like a jumble of emotions all contained in a dark cloud of grumble hovering over me, that I just wanna punch a hole through. But, I can rarely give that black cloud a specific name for the emotion that it is. I try to pinpoint exactly what I'm feeling, and usually, for most things, I don't really find an answer, so I just kinda do the 'outta sight, outta mind', meh, they didn't hinder anything/life goals, progress of mine, so yeah, I feel the black cloud hovering, but, whatever.

So, I'd say, I'm quite the opposite of what the OP suggested.

Yeah, I agree with what Q said.

It's much easier for me to be free with emotions regarding fictional situations and people or causes that I care about symbolized into a few images, because it's the bigger picture. I'm not mired down in it, and I can see it from all directions. I see the whole situation, the conflicts, all the elements. And for some reason, that enables me to connect more directly. I'm not as affected when things happen to me or to someone I care about--I just sort of jump in and try to deal with the situation and alleviate the bad thing as much as I can. But I'm not going to go all to pieces considering the emotional elements of it. That might come later, as I get some distance from it. And in some cases, maybe it's my brain's way of helping me deal with tough situations.

I will tear up over the plight of puppies/dogs that will be put down through no fault of their own regardless of whether they're on tv or in front of me at the animal shelter, though. Dogs seem to be my emotional Achilles heel. :-D
    Something Witty

Supreme High Commander Array Andy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    I think SP and NT are very similar - both utilitarian, right?
    SPs and NJs can be be similar. They both stand on the Se-Ni spectrum.

3w2 so

I never really could understand the connection between human emotions and feelings and the virtual mbti type.

The plain comparison between "Sensor" and "Feeling" is wrong in my opinion, because if one would say to feel something does not need a sensory reaction first, he would say at the same time that intuitives feel on a different plane of existaence.

I do think every person has an own set of morale standards mostly derived from the wishes they have for themselves or from biologically trained things, like everyone finds puppies cute.

And I furthermore think that people who do feel much about all kind of unrelated things aint automatically to be called NFs, like people who dont feel much are automatically to be called NTs. I think to actually feel much needs you to have a highly evolved sensibility in combination with a great anticipation and imagination towards people and the ability to learn and grow for a lifetime to understand how other people feel and think.

That in the end does enable you to feel really hard for a stranger, because you have the ability to put yourself in his position.

I think the point I described here is when MBTI theory ends and the stereotypes it portraies do not function anymore. Because defining intellectuality and the inability to feel for others as attributes of the same type is an antithesis in itself and an epic fail.
    Johari / Nohari

"How dreadful!" cried Lord Henry. "I can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable. There is something unfair about its use. It is hitting below the intellect."
    ~ Oscar Wilde - The picture of Dorian Gray

6w7 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    When it's about emotions, I want things to be as concrete, present and detailed as possible. Let me give some examples.

I'm unmoved by a bunch of "cute" puppies on the screen of the TV - but my heart fills with love at the sight of small ducklings in reality.

At a funeral of a loved relative, I was unable to mourn when they read a poem about love, death and time. My mind went blank and I was just picking out inconsistencies in the poem (I knew I wasn't supposed to do that - I just couldn't help myself).
    I wept when they digged up memories of the relative. Only then I was able to feel love, thankful for her life, and grief.

I can love and hate real people I really know. I can't do that with imaginary people or people I've only seen on TV. I even don't feel empathy with the characters in my own writing.

What about you, fellow NTs?
    I'm pretty sure everyone feels this way unless they are a complete sap.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

827 sp/so
    SLE Ti

I'm agreeing with Talullah that dogs are definitly the thing that gets me That horrible commercial always makes me feel the need to hunt the dog down and give it a big hug... it's not like THEY have any say in the matter!

As for situations with people though... I'm the eulogizer at funerals in the family because I'm the one who can be depended on to stay impassive throughout the entire service- I'm much more likely to feel sad later when running across something nice they've done for me or something of the sort... just seeing them doesn't remind me of what I'll miss, seeing the results of who they are kind of is the trigger

even then I have trouble crying
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

Is Willard in Footloose!! Array CJ99's Avatar

Yeah I get that too. Emotion has to be in my face clear conctrete unignorable for me to really see it.
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

Junior Member Array NuttyMeg011's Avatar

Here is where I take issue with the distinction between "mood" and "emotion."

I think I'm very intuitive regarding moods, and even particular. I'm adept at imitating the "atmosphere" of social situations...unless they're outwardly "emotional" to which I'm completely lost and revert to my default emotion[less] position.

For instance: I have no problems disclosing moods to others. "I'm tired."
    But I would NEVER say, nor know how to appropriately respond to, "I'm sad."

Are moods emotions that lack depth...? Or is there only a negligible difference? No difference at all? Argh.

Funerals are awkward for me, not sad. Especially wakes--I take more of an issue with the fact that I have to shake the hands of all these people I don't know than for the fact that someone I knew is lying dead in a casket 5 feet away from me. It just doesn't register. My ESFJ mom thought I had serious problems "coping with death" when I was young because I didn't cry and changed the subject whenever the dead person's name was brought up. She sent me to therapy because of it.

If the emotional tone of something resonates with my mood, I'm able to feel for it, accordingly. (that damned puppy commercial...)

If it doesn't, I'm unaffected.

I've grappled with whether I'm really an INFP who desperately wishes she were a "T." I've never tested "F" before, but I can relate to some INFP things very well. However, the typical, overall modus operandi of the INFP is way off. Perhaps the fact that I'm female might have something to do with this. Growing up, I either had to find ways to blend in just enough so that no one would bother me, or risk psychological warfare with the other girls who read into every little thing I said/did or didn't say/do "right" "normal" or to their satisfaction.

Woops, off topic a bit

...and long-winded<---not usually an INTP thing either? :confused:

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    That damn Sarah McLachlan commercial with the caged kittens and puppies moves me every time, and I just end up wanting to donate all of my money or adopt every single kitten and puppy in the world
    You might enjoy this.

Saturday Night Live - Update: Sarah McLachlan - Video -
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"