User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Default INTP's and childhood/adolescne - "best years of your life", or a grey blur?

EDIT - apologies for the typo in the title. fucking keyboard.

Basically, with regards to real living memories, I can only remember small fragments of my childhood/adolescence. Otherwise, when reminiscing, I can remember events and trends (like, Pokemon, yo-yo's - what the fuck!? - teenage girls sucking dummies! - WTF!X2 - elections, world cups, economic crisis, protests, wars), but not really in any 'personal sense', i.e. I don't associate them with any feeling or active participation/reject/response on my part. (This is up to the Iraq war, were I associate this with a strong opposition on my part).

Now regarding personal life, even less. I can barely remember anything or primary school, I know when I was very young (maybe 8?) I started getting bullied by some older kids, I know I didn't tell anyone. I remember once they pulled a knife on me, and I remember hiding in the toilets during lunch break for an indefinite period of time, but I can't remember how long this went on for. Also I don't remember feeling anything about this, or having any anger or sadness, only fear - which isn't really an emotion.

Apart from that I don't remember much else of primary school - I know we used to play football ("soccer), but I don't remember what I thought of it or anything specific. Secondary school obviously I have more memories of the different friendship groups, the way things oeprated, what we used to do, but again it's like watching a set of facts and stills, I don't remember much involvement or emotional response one way or another on my part. I hated having to get up in the morning and go, I found most of the classes boring, I lacked attention, but I wasn't exactly actively wanting to "change" anything and didn't join any Cauldfield-esque sub-clique against the "phoneys" - rather I would just go through the motions, socialize jsut enough, be friendly just enough, join in common activities just enough, and wait to get home. I remember having one crush for a short period of time and little else.

Otherwise I guess I was in my own little world, my attitude to the outside world being "path of least resistance" so that I could get home quicker.

It wasn't until about 16 y/o that I began to use Ne I would say - I would say there were times before then that I would use it ery well, but that it was discouraged and I repressed it, as I considered "intellectual" to be synonymous with impractical, effeminate, geeky etc. Sad I know but that's the way millions of people have been brainwashed to think...

I wondered if this lack of Ne-Fe is common to INTP's during childhood/adolescence (obviously depends a lot on your childhood), leading them to effectively have very little memory of childhood/adolescence. I don't think it would be the same for INTJ's as their Ni is the prime function and their Fi is very fudnamental (as Si is to INTP's) and I would expect them to be more actively seeking an "identity" as youngsters.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

There was a post on this same topic the other day at INTPc, and I was amazed by how much detail my fellow INTPs there remembered from their childhoods. Like you, everything I recall from the first ~16-18 years of my life consists of a blur of random ingrained images, and a lot of fuzzy approximations beyond that. People I grew up with, as well as family members, are baffled at how little detail I seem to remember.

I've not given any thought to whether this memory deficit is function-related or not.
    83% I 70% N 64% T 73% P | 5w4 sp/so/sx | Chaotic Good

MBTI
    INTP

I can remember quite a lot from my childhood. I actually have a pretty good memory for lots of different places I was, people I saw, everyday life etc. Then again I'm only 18 so there's time for all that to fade yet. I hope not though, it's nice to remember it all
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

I identify with you guys. But along with that I have a sense of longing for the past. If only I could've been in 7th grade forever...

My fiends and I hadn't discovered:

1. Drugs
    2. Girls
    3. Bullying

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Oeufa View Post
    Then again I'm only 18 so there's time for all that to fade yet. I hope not though, it's nice to remember it all
    At 18 I still remembered quite a bit, but by my mid-20s all that stuff had begun to rapidly fade into obscurity. It's as if leaving school and entering the Real World literally flipped the page into a new chapter, and left few traces of the previous ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Oom View Post
    3. Bullying
    You hadn't discovered bullying by 7th grade? Wow.

Unfortunately I became well-acquainted with that one fresh out of kindergarten.

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Trentham View Post
    You hadn't discovered bullying by 7th grade? Wow.

Unfortunately I became well-acquainted with that one fresh out of kindergarten.
    Hahahahahahaha!!!.............. I don't think you understand. I'm from a small town in Iowa.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Hahahahahahaha!!!.............. I don't think you understand. I'm from a small town in Iowa.
    I'm from a small town in Mississippi.

And, you're right, I probably don't understand.

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Trentham View Post
    I'm from a small town in Mississippi.

And, you're right, I probably don't understand.
    Some how I feel that you took offense. The thing is, my friends and I were oblivious to everything back then. It was always there, we just hadn't discovered it quite yet.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Some how I feel that you took offense. The thing is, my friends and I were oblivious to everything back then. It was always there, we just hadn't discovered it quite yet.
    No, I wasn't offended, I'm just new to this crowd so I have no idea what I'm doing yet in terms of interactions. Ne can only take me so far.

I do get what you're saying now, though. I was oblivious to a lot of things too, but bullying wasn't one of them. Pretty much all the schoolyard archetypes were present and active from first grade onward. This was back in the early 80s...it's possible things have changed a lot since then.

grey friggin' blur
    Hello