• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs, your favourite NT type and why?

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
It's amazing how often "YOUR GENERALIZATION ISN'T TRUE 100% OF THE TIME!!!!" comes from people whose group is being generalized. Try not to take it personally.

People will take it personally when you make a generalization about them that isn't true. You could avoid it altogether by using phrases like "most of the time/generally speaking/I tend to notice that". You might say they're redundant, but they make one seem less like an asshat, and interestingly make people take you a little more serously.

Generally speaking. :p

astroninja

MBTI Type
INTP
It's amazing how often "YOUR GENERALIZATION ISN'T TRUE 100% OF THE TIME!!!!" comes from people whose group is being generalized. Try not to take it personally.

Generally speaking, it takes a special lack of insight to be surprised that the people being generalized are also the ones to speak up about it. But I suppose it shouldn't be surprising that not all ENTPs make the grade. That's the problem with generalizations, see. :)

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Generally speaking, it takes a special lack of insight to be surprised that the people being generalized are also the ones to speak up about it. But I suppose it shouldn't be surprising that not all ENTPs make the grade. That's the problem with generalizations, see. :)

You're new here. Often, if you don't add the special caveat, someone freaks out that they were included in the broadly applied brushstroke and derails what are usually good threads and conversations, and to be honest, after a while it gets very tiring.

Kind of like what's happening now.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ almost as effective at preventing this from happening as building a picket fence is to keeping tidal waves at bay ;)

astroninja

MBTI Type
INTP
You're new here. Often, if you don't add the special caveat, someone freaks out that they were included in the broadly applied brushstroke and derails what are usually good threads and conversations, and to be honest, after a while it gets very tiring.

Kind of like what's happening now.

I do not take such things personally, and would worry if I did, but I do feel the need for certain definitions. Generalizations often overlook a few key points that do affect the reasoning behind one's choices. I am not against speaking with generalizations, but I am pointing out the alternatives to that, simply because there is no harm in doing so. I am not holding up a pitchfork or threatening anarchy.

Whilst it may seem tiring to you that people have differing opinions - perhaps because, unlike me, you are old and a veteran on these forums and have seen your fair share of Kings and Jesters - disagreement and contrasting voices are the hallmark of most lasting threads on Internet forums. I would think that would be a feather in the thread-starter's cap, 'Internetically' speaking. Wouldn't it be boring if everyone just sat around and agreed with each other all the time? :)

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
My favorite type of NT: An NT that is capable of questioning ideas without immediately accepting or dismissing them. This NT can accept when they are likely wrong and can adapt to changing circumstances if need be. They are likely not misanthropic, although not necessarily philanthropic either. The gain knowledge of the world around them and constantly seek to improve it.

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
My favorite type of NT: An NT that is capable of questioning ideas without immediately accepting or dismissing them. This NT can accept when they are likely wrong and can adapt to changing circumstances if need be. They are likely not misanthropic, although not necessarily philanthropic either. The gain knowledge of the world around them and constantly seek to improve it.
Objectivity "roolz."

astroninja

MBTI Type
INTP

That sounds descriptive of an INTP.
Do you tend to get along with ENTPs and INTJs too?
I have two friends who are ENTP and INTJ and we usually find amusement in the same things.

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
On an unrelated note, I don't know enough/any ENTJs personally. I imagine most of them in my life must be too focused/busy with other things to bother hanging out with a bum like me :p

INTPs, INTJs and ENTPs are all usually cool in my book!

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
INTP - I'm still gathering data. No determination as of yet.

ENTP - can be annoying (like a thorn in your paw). Can seem like a fire hose without a nozzle sometimes. Sometimes chill.

ENTJ - can be cool. can be lame. Depends on the individual.

INTJ - tickle my funny bone.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Whilst it may seem tiring to you that people have differing opinions - perhaps because, unlike me, you are old and a veteran on these forums and have seen your fair share of Kings and Jesters - disagreement and contrasting voices are the hallmark of most lasting threads on Internet forums. I would think that would be a feather in the thread-starter's cap, 'Internetically' speaking. Wouldn't it be boring if everyone just sat around and agreed with each other all the time? :)

I don't think Jock is talking about differing opinions related to content, just the nit-picking that goes on related to stereotypes.

This site is about typing people so stereotypes will be in abundance. Arguing with someone not to use stereotypes and generalizations is pointless on a site called "typology central".

Serious lolz.

astroninja

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't think Jock is talking about differing opinions related to content, just the nit-picking that goes on related to stereotypes.

This site is about typing people so stereotypes will be in abundance. Arguing with someone not to use stereotypes and generalizations is pointless on a site called "typology central".

Fair enough. :) You've raised a very valid point, and I shan't pursue it any further.

Anyway, on an unrelated note,
the one type that I haven't had the chance to hang out extensively with are the ESFJs.

I had a friend once who was an ESFJ - a pretty extreme case of F and J. (visaisahero, you know who I'm talking about :p)
I tried my best to get along with him, so did my other NT friends, but we found it pretty difficult. I find most FJs to be difficult to understand and get along with.

My favourite NTs are definitely ENTPs - they are the more outspoken counterparts to INTPs, I think. Whilst an INTP would reserve his opinion and express them only if called upon, an ENTP is like a verbal Uzi - firing their opinions out at six hundred words a minute, which can be pretty endearing in conversations.

And INTJs. For being who they are and not being afraid of pissing off the world when they know they're 'right'. The brainy ones whom I usually respect. Usually. :)

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Anyway, on an unrelated note,
the one type that I haven't had the chance to hang out extensively with are the ESFJs.

I had a friend once who was an ESFJ - a pretty extreme case of F and J. (visaisahero, you know who I'm talking about :p)
I tried my best to get along with him, so did my other NT friends, but we found it pretty difficult. I find most FJs to be difficult to understand and get along with.

You know, when I first meet ESFJs, I feel like I can only relate to them on their level. I have to hold back a huge part of myself in order to keep the peace. But as time goes on, we actually really begin to like and understand each other.

If you believe in function order, we have the same functions but flipped:

ENTP: Ne Ti Fe Si
ESFJ: Fe Si Ne Ti

The older we both are, the easier it is to connect with each other. I think I reset them initially because they embody the negativity I associate with my tert and inferior functions (because I don't use them properly).

/derail

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Do you tend to get along with ENTPs and INTJs too?
I have two friends who are ENTP and INTJ and we usually find amusement in the same things.

It's up for interpretation as to which NT it describes best.

ENTPs I know tend to feel that I'm missing out on the essential key to life, as if I'm somehow deficient. A big feeling of "yeah, I'm like you, but better." Although, I have met some ENTPs on this forum that don't give off the same impression, although it still happens.

The same sometimes happens with INTs, but not anywhere near as much. INTPs are more of "you have you quirky areas of interest and I'll let you stick to them." INTJs range from the ENTP response, to the INTP response, to even "Thank GOD/FSM that someone else in this world can at least USE logic."

ENTJs tend to follow one of two routes:
"There's something peculiar about you and I'm not quite sure what it is, but I think we can benefit from being in each other's company." (more often from healthy ENTJs)

"There's something different about you and you're fairly moronic for having it." (more often from unhealthy ENTJs)

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
ENTPs are fine because I respect that they wish to shake things up, but I find the sometimes excessively in my face; but they are good for going to the pub with.

INTPs seem too pedantic/anal in how they think, but they are laid back so good for talking about books with.

ENTJs seem too anal in how things have to fit their goal, but are also fun in the pub.

Fellow INTJs are great in how how they shake things up, but are more fun about the house people like INTPs.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Even if we're here to stereotype people, even answering to this simple question is not so easy.

Each type has a bright side and a dark side. If I've learned something from experience, it's that's there's no "typical", or "average" representative of types.
Rather, there are ways to convey cognitive functions, and they can "typically" be healthy, or unhealthy.

---

1a/- Healthy (educated) INTPs are very interesting people, sometimes very close to pure genius: Focused, incredibly knowledgeable, with that wild stream of fantasy INTJs often lack. They are system people: in their specific domain of interest, they will know better and more than anybody else. I know some that are close to perfection, whether as friends, colleagues or as mentors.

1b/- But unfortunately, there's a lot of unhealthy INTPS, and unhealthy INTPs probably are amongst the people I despise the most. It may sound cruel to say that, but that's the truth. Most of the time, they are losers, whiners, and they're not half as intelligent than what they'd like to be. They can be stubbornly irrational, and not realize how ridicule they look, and how annoying their conversation really is.
While they should inspire me some pity, they often scare me somehow, because a lot of them haven't learned how to be social, or suffer from severe psychological disorders (Asperger for instance). Like Tallulah said, they often look like a very unflattering reflection of myself, and this might explain my profound distrust of unhealthy INTPs.

---

2a/- Healthy ENTPs usually are absolutely charming. They are curious, witty and quick. They are tolerant people, share large views, and have always something to say whatever the subject of the conversation is. But it's true that like Whatever noticed, sometimes they compete for who will talk first, and ignore the others.
ENTPs are a very weird yet fascinating combination: they can be deep and childish in the same time, express awful misanthropic thoughts in public and yet be the first ones to spontaneously help you if they feel needed. They are amoral and seductive, harsh and abrasive but also nice and sympathetic... And both in the same time.
It can also depends of their moods.
Overall, they are considered to be amongst the types that have the most coping ressources (ENFPs being the best for that).

2b/- Unhealthy ENTPs are immature and gremlin-like, but not always in a charming way. They could behave like spoiled brats, and stay forever at the age of adolescence, with the same kind of aggressiveness and arrogance that makes them almost unbearable.
An ENTP that feels hurt will often regress in a teen-like phase for an undetermined period of time, and would just look as if their IQ was suddenly halved.
And very often, they do have ADHD, making them not so easy to follow.

---

3a/ Healthy INTJs probably are my natural favorites amongst NTs. A lot of close friends of mine are INTJs, and I've always wondered why...
They take their time to respond, but then each time it's stimulating. They are efficient workers, organized yet curious and always interesting: the perfect companions to work with. They have lot of qualities I really envy, the first being that they're not as lazy as I am, and that they often have a clear view of the goals they want to attain.

They also are rather famed for their weird sense of humour, for their extremely dry wit that renders them so unique.

3b/ Unfortunately, sometimes INTJs can be very dull and unexpressive. They are serious talkers, and that is both interesting and terrifying. It's very difficult to make them understand that sometimes, they shouldn't concentrate THAT much on their issues.
Unhealthy INTJs often are taciturn, and obsessed with self-control. It's not very easy to find a weak spot in their natural armor, or to convince them to let a matter drop.

And I've noticed another curious trend. Healthy INTJs never like to brag about themselves, but unhealthy ones do it almost constantly. They can be very macho or very proud, and be the most conservative of all NT types, both socially, philosophically or politically.

While INTP-central inspires me pity most of the time, the INTJ-forum looks really scary and psychotic.

---

4a/ Healthy ENTJ are people you never forget, and friends you should always count on. They are reliable, fair, loyal, and relentlessly aim to improve things around them. If they consider you worthy of their attention, they will often have great expectations for you, and reward you accordingly.
Amongst NTs, healthy ENTJs are the ones I admire the most, the most charismatic type ever.

I have noticed they also choose their words very carefully, and the way they convey ideas -with calm, clear and concise sentences- is really appreciated. They're often easy to spot precisely because of that specific style of thoughts. They go quicker than any other type to what is really essential, to what really matters.
Overall, they have a calming effect on my Ne-dom, it's a pleasure to read their advices and opinions here. They make me learn a lot.

4b/ However, unhealthy ENTJs simply are unbearable (even more than an armada of unhealthy INTPs). They may not only look pretentious, but they will relentlessly pursue you until you surrender or choose to drop the matter. They never know when to stop, even with futile or trivial matters.
Unhealthy ENTJs are control freaks. And their need for responsability and order often clashes with the anarchistic views about personal freedom of the majority of ENTPs (including myself).
Once they have an idea (even a very bad one), it must be implemented or tested immediately: just like their introverted cousins, they tend to be mono-obsessional and staunch adversaries of multi-tasking.
Unlike every other NT type, they often lack humor and can be very predictable, probably because they take themselves far too seriously.