• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] At the bar... (more social situations!)

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
*wail* o ye gods, not only a bar, but a bar full of lawyers?? What did you do wrong in your past lives?

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Discovered alcohol, I think

Which makes no difference if you can't drink anyway ;)

Really I mean, if it's networking, then it's work. And work isn't supposed to be fun, but mindless and boring.
Just change your attitude.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Really I mean, if it's networking, then it's work. And work isn't supposed to be fun, but mindless and boring.
Just change your attitude.

This statement is incomprehensible to an ENTP. If it's not supposed to be fun, then why bother?

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Networking, mostly.

You know how well Ne-fueled speech usually goes over around ESxJs and xSFPs.

Okay, networking for what ultimately?

Help you land a job? Have the "go-to" guy to party with? Spit politics with? Get a girl? Have study buddies with? Computer Hackers Anonymous? Go over Elephant photographs for National Geographic with?

:)

If you're networking, just to network, then that's like buying maps of every state in the U.S. with no intention at all to ever visit them. That's a singularity, not networking.

Once you know what the goal is; small talk doesn't have to be apart of the program. Instead of thinking of small talk as something to shoot down or "deal with" like a wall, just find the door; everybody has one.

And that freaking door will appear once you know what you're looking for.

Rock and roll!

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Chances are, when you are networking in a place you don't feel comfortable, you won't find the right people for you.
When I was younger, I didn't frequent the popular bars, because the people there were people who liked small-talk, thus they were not the people I'd want to be friends with. Instead, I went to a particular bar with a stack of board games and playing classical music. Chances are, the people there like classical music and/or board games, just like I do. Sharing an interest makes good friends.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
... no bar games, you can't leave, and there's nothing to do but small talk.

How do you keep from drinking yourself into oblivion to escape the boredom?

I just play little games inside my head. Counting how many times that guy in the red sweater says "duuuuuude". Trying to make mnemonics out of people's names. Predicting who that blond girl is going to try flirting with when she gets all liquored up. Walk around and listen to snippets of different conversations, pretending it's one weird conversation, like mad libs. Try to see what time it is on every person's watch before the end of the night.

I don't know. I'm not good with boredom or being stuck.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I just play little games inside my head. Counting how many times that guy in the red sweater says "duuuuuude". Trying to make mnemonics out of people's names. Predicting who that blond girl is going to try flirting with when she gets all liquored up. Walk around and listen to snippets of different conversations, pretending it's one weird conversation, like mad libs. Try to see what time it is on every person's watch before the end of the night.

I don't know. I'm not good with boredom or being stuck.

Good ideas - doing stuff like that is when I'm at my best.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This statement is incomprehensible to an ENTP. If it's not supposed to be fun, then why bother?

Why bother indeed. If you're going to a bar where having fun and networking are mutually exclusive, you just have to decide what's more important to you.
Plus what Tamske said (i.e. finding a place where they aren't).

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Pull out a gun and tell everyone to give you money.

alakazam

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
Pull out a gun and tell everyone to give you money.

Hmmmm. Adrenaline-inducing and interesting? Sure, for a short period of time... Logical? Perhaps not...

Now, pulling out a gun and telling everyone to give you their girls, now that's a different story.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't mind bars, it's clubs I hate. I enjoy chatting about ideas, life and the universe in a reasonably chilled way... not to good with total strangers in that capacity

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Leave my table and go sit with another group of neat folks

astroninja

MBTI Type
INTP
... no bar games, you can't leave, and there's nothing to do but small talk.

How do you keep from drinking yourself into oblivion to escape the boredom?

I'd rather be flirting at the library. Nothing turns me on more than a girl flipping the pages of a book I love. Certainly better than getting flipped off for being an awkward social mingler. :)

This is me at the bar.

INTP: "Hey there, I'm an INTP!"
ESFP: "A what? What's that?"
INTP: "Shut up and drink your cocktail, bitch!"

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
OP: so have you learnt anything here that you're going to apply the next time around?